• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: Shroud of Turin?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
This is in Same Faith Debates - Christians only please!

shroudofturin.jpg

Imagine: Scientists extract human DNA from the Shroud of Turin

(And that the DNA comes from the person whose image it bears)

They then make a clone of that person, using the DNA of the man on the shroud...

Question: How should Christians treat such clone?

I think it would depend on whether or not the Shroud of Turin truly features Jesus

As a Christian I would be very sceptical about the man on the shroud being Jesus Christ

But if the clone could perform miracles that would be something else - if he could do that I would consider him to be God's grandson

But no, he wouldn't be Jesus, and neither would he be The Messiah or our Lord or Saviour

He would be something else - what exactly I am not sure. Perhaps Jesus's son?

And yes, I suppose it would be possible for him to be the clone of Jesus whilst not being able to perform miracles - but miracles would be the proof that the person he was cloned from was Jesus!

Although yes, Jesus's miracles came from God, not from his own personal biology...

Unless of course that is how we are supposed to bring about the second coming???? By cloning the man on the shroud???? To provide a human vessel for Jesus's soul, to make the reincarnation of Christ happen???? Using human technologies????

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
First of all, being a Christian doesn't really require to believe in the authenticity of relics.
The Holy Shroud is certainly one of the most controversial, and the reasons are so numerous.

As for human clonation, I as a Christian believe it is unethical. Since one of the most sacred mysteries of Christianity, motherhood is desecrated to satisfy scientists' curiosity.

Personally I believe the Shroud is authentic.
But it is just a personal belief of mine. It is rightful that Christians are prudent and sceptical when it deals with these "elements of faith" which are unnecessary for Salvation.

pearl

The Shroud remains a sacred symbol for many Christians, its authenticity notwithstanding.

Brian2

Veteran Member
This is in Same Faith Debates - Christians only please!

View attachment 48288
Imagine: Scientists extract human DNA from the Shroud of Turin

(And that the DNA comes from the person whose image it bears)

They then make a clone of that person, using the DNA of the man on the shroud...

Question: How should Christians treat such clone?

I think it would depend on whether or not the Shroud of Turin truly features Jesus

As a Christian I would be very sceptical about the man on the shroud being Jesus Christ

But if the clone could perform miracles that would be something else - if he could do that I would consider him to be God's grandson

But no, he wouldn't be Jesus, and neither would he be The Messiah or our Lord or Saviour

He would be something else - what exactly I am not sure. Perhaps Jesus's son?

And yes, I suppose it would be possible for him to be the clone of Jesus whilst not being able to perform miracles - but miracles would be the proof that the person he was cloned from was Jesus!

Although yes, Jesus's miracles came from God, not from his own personal biology...

Unless of course that is how we are supposed to bring about the second coming???? By cloning the man on the shroud???? To provide a human vessel for Jesus's soul, to make the reincarnation of Christ happen???? Using human technologies????

Jesus rose as a glorified man and has a human vessel already.
Col 2:9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form.
Col 1:19 For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him,

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
While the shroud is obviously venerated by the Catholic Church. The linen is not old enough to be related to Jesus and the crucifixion in any way.

" The fibres were radiocarbon-dated in three separate laboratories in Oxford, Zurich and Arizona and the paper concluded that, with 95% confidence, the age of the material was medieval: between 1260 and 1390. The first historical record of the shroud appears too in the fourteenth century."

I am quite happy to leave it at that.

Any mystery attached as to how it was made is curious, but not important from a religious perspective. It is well known that a majority of religious reliques from the middle ages were faked, and very few even from human remains.

Fake news is as old as mankind.

PureX

Veteran Member
Clones are nothing more than a biological twin created at a later time. Jesus' twin is not going to be Jesus, any more than anyone else's twin is anything more than a biological duplicate.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
PureX just responded with what I was going to say. DNA is not a person. Identical twins are not the same person. A clone would not the same person, unless you consider skin and organs to define who and what we are. "I am my body". A child a two or three might think that, but not most adults.

To imagine they would be the same person, is scientific reductionism gone completely off the rails, more than it already is.