• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: Should we have denominations in Christianity?

Addison29

There are so many different denominations of Christianity and more and more keep coming. I have always believed that this was regular, until I read where God said that we are all one in Christ. Why is this and should we have all of these?

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
There are so many different denominations of Christianity and more and more keep coming. I have always believed that this was regular, until I read where God said that we are all one in Christ. Why is this and should we have all of these?
Differences in ideology and interpretation of the Bible seem to be the biggest drivers of differentiation.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
The most recent numbers I can find indicate that there are at least 45,000 different Christian denominations and I would imagine all of the consider that their denomination is the one true Christianity.

Sir Joseph

It's only reasonable that the Bible with thousands of details and hundreds of translations would necessitate different interpretations among people. The range of these interpretations, often described as literal or figurative, affects many doctrines and moral values, thus causing Christians to prefer one church denominations' teachings over another.

It's also reasonable that people would have various preferred methods of worship, with some being more ceremonial and dressy and others being more informal and casual. Even within these two categories, the music style becomes a significant divider among the church members, with some preferring a contemporary band-like style and others a traditional piano/organ type style.

Finally, there are churches with man-made doctrines and traditions that go beyond the Bible, with the LDS, JW's, 7th Day Adventists, and Catholics being prime examples. Whether these are even Christian or not is debatable, but the differences are significant and thus cause for people's belief preference of one over the other.

Personally, I like the increasing trend of non-demoninational Congregational churches (and chapels). They tend to be small, simple, casual, and Bible focused. For anyone seeking a new church to get a good taste of Christianity, I'd suggest this as a good choice, though the talent, number of small groups, and volunteer opportunities of a larger church does offer advantages too.

Finally, I'll add this: there are a lot, if not majority, of churches today not teaching or representing God's Word in the Bible. For anyone seeking a church or wanting to follow true Christianity, a church prospect has to be carefully assessed. The differences today are seriously significant but usually revealed on their websites.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Christianity is a belief based religion, so what a person believes/teaches is very important to Christians. Given that people have separate brains, I really don't see how you can have a religion like Christianity without some disagreements, which would necessarily result in different groups. On the other hand, I think there is a world of difference between having four groups, and having 10s of thousands (which is the case). The severe lack of unity among Protestant Christians indicates that they do not have adequate basis for determining doctrine. It is my opinion that this is directly due to their teaching of sola scriptura (Bible only). You cannot go on the Bible without also interpreting it. Without some sort of oral tradition or other teaching authority to interpret, 10s of thousands of denominations are going to be the result.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There are currently over 3,000 versions of the bible in over 2000 languages. Each denomination interprets the particular bible they prefer in their own way giving rise to over 45000 denominations p, a number that is rising weekly.

And most importantly, welcome RF.

☆Dreamwind☆

The opportunity to only have one denomination of Christianity sailed thousands of years ago. Why does it matter anyway? Religions have been splintering since they were invented.

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
The most recent numbers I can find indicate that there are at least 45,000 different Christian denominations and I would imagine all of the consider that their denomination is the one true Christianity.
I think that the propper question is: Who has the right on that claim..

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I find the endless denominations happen to establish the fact there is absolutely no communicating god in spite of claims to the contrary.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am Roman Catholic, because it offers ME what I need, not what others need. I am not out there trying to proselytize. I am out there living my life to the best of my ability, trying to follow Christ's example. If someone asks why I am joyful, I tell them but I preface it by saying "This is what works for me." You do you, for sure.

Ignatius A

It's only reasonable that the Bible with thousands of details and hundreds of translations would necessitate different interpretations among people. The range of these interpretations, often described as literal or figurative, affects many doctrines and moral values, thus causing Christians to prefer one church denominations' teachings over another.

It's also reasonable that people would have various preferred methods of worship, with some being more ceremonial and dressy and others being more informal and casual. Even within these two categories, the music style becomes a significant divider among the church members, with some preferring a contemporary band-like style and others a traditional piano/organ type style.

Finally, there are churches with man-made doctrines and traditions that go beyond the Bible, with the LDS, JW's, 7th Day Adventists, and Catholics being prime examples. Whether these are even Christian or not is debatable, but the differences are significant and thus cause for people's belief preference of one over the other.

Personally, I like the increasing trend of non-demoninational Congregational churches (and chapels). They tend to be small, simple, casual, and Bible focused. For anyone seeking a new church to get a good taste of Christianity, I'd suggest this as a good choice, though the talent, number of small groups, and volunteer opportunities of a larger church does offer advantages too.

Finally, I'll add this: there are a lot, if not majority, of churches today not teaching or representing God's Word in the Bible. For anyone seeking a church or wanting to follow true Christianity, a church prospect has to be carefully assessed. The differences today are seriously significant but usually revealed on their websites.
Sola fide and sola scriptura are non biblical and absolutely man made creations which resulted in the single largest schism is the history of Christianity.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This thread is intended for participation by practicing Christians only.

IndigoChild5559

I don't even know where to begin with how nonsensical that is. What you write has NOTHING to do with what I was saying.
Then perhaps you should go back and edit what you wrote if it didn't reflect what you wanted to say. Because what you said, and read it carefully, is "People shouldn't believe what's not biblical right?"

Ignatius A

Then perhaps you should go back and edit what you wrote if it didn't reflect what you wanted to say. Because what you said, and read it carefully, is "People shouldn't believe what's not biblical right?"
Goodness gracious. What was I responding to and who was I responding too when I posted that?

IndigoChild5559

Goodness gracious. What was I responding to and who was I responding too when I posted that?
I apologize, I didn't realize I wasn't in the debate forum, and I'm also not a Christian and the title of the thread asked specifically for replies from Christians. While my remarks do still reflect my thoughts, this was not the place to state them. Please be well.

Ignatius A

I apologize, I didn't realize I wasn't in the debate forum, and I'm also not a Christian and the title of the thread asked specifically for replies from Christians. While my remarks do still reflect my thoughts, this was not the place to state them. Please be well.
It's not a problem for me but you completely misunderstood what i was saying and who I was saying it to. I was referring only to matters of faith not matters of history or other things. I did not imply that everything we believe must be from the Bible but things related to faith should be especially for those who believe in sola scriptura which btw is not in scripture.