• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians only: Does the existence of a "godly remnant" prove the Church never fell into apostasy?

"Does the existence of a 'godly remnant' prove the Church never fell into apostasy?"

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This thread was started to pick up where a 10-year-old thread currently stands. I wanted to start from scratch in discussing this topic, but will approach the subject from a slightly different perspective. The original OP asked the question, "Did the Christian Church ever fall away completely?" One of the options in this poll was, "No, there has always been a Godly remnant." Personally, I don't see this option as even being relevant. When I first read it ten years ago, my first thought was, "So what if there has always been a godly remnant. What does that prove?" To me, that statement would only be relevant had the question been "Have there always been Christians since Christianity was first established?" So I'm asking now: "Does the existence of a 'godly remnant' prove the Church never fell into apostasy?" Personally, I don't see any real correlation between "a godly remnant" existing and "the true Church" never having fallen into apostasy. If this question doesn't make sense to you, then try answering this one instead: Can there be "true Christians" without a "true Christian Church"? Perhaps we need to begin by explaining what we mean when we use the phrases "a true Christian" and "the true Christian Church."

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I see the Church as an assembly of people...and people are fallible. So, answering your question, yes... the Church can (and did) fall into apostasy. So I am not sure if there can ever be a "true Church". What I'm sure about is that there are true Christians out there.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
This thread was started to pick up where a 10-year-old thread currently stands. I wanted to start from scratch in discussing this topic, but will approach the subject from a slightly different perspective. The original OP asked the question, "Did the Christian Church ever fall away completely?" One of the options in this poll was, "No, there has always been a Godly remnant." Personally, I don't see this option as even being relevant. When I first read it ten years ago, my first thought was, "So what if there has always been a godly remnant. What does that prove?" To me, that statement would only be relevant had the question been "Have there always been Christians since Christianity was first established?" So I'm asking now: "Does the existence of a 'godly remnant' prove the Church never fell into apostasy?" Personally, I don't see any real correlation between "a godly remnant" existing and "the true Church" never having fallen into apostasy. If this question doesn't make sense to you, then try answering this one instead: Can there be "true Christians" without a "true Christian Church"? Perhaps we need to begin by explaining what we mean when we use the phrases "a true Christian" and "the true Christian Church."

10 year old thread? Really? I had no clue.

"Perhaps we need to begin by explaining what we mean when we use the phrases "a true Christian" and "the true Christian Church."

^^^^^ O.K. You go first.

The J.W.'s call what they believe "The Truth" .
Members of that denomination say they are "in the Truth".
A bold claim isn't it?
I have deep respect for the J.W.s' Sadly many are persecuted for going against
"conventional wisdom".

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the true church is linked uncompromisingly to what is real and called "the Bible", then yes, imo, the church fell into apostasy.

If the true church is really communion with The Holy Spirit of two or more people for the name of Jesus, then no, I think it has never fallen into apostasy.

Of course, I didn't vote because my vote might be yes or no.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
10 year old thread? Really? I had no clue.

"Perhaps we need to begin by explaining what we mean when we use the phrases "a true Christian" and "the true Christian Church."

^^^^^ O.K. You go first.

The J.W.'s call what they believe "The Truth" .
Members of that denomination say they are "in the Truth".
A bold claim isn't it?
I have deep respect for the J.W.s' Sadly many are persecuted for going against
"conventional wisdom".
Okay, but just for the sake of argument, let's say they're right and the things they believe are "the Truth." Is their affiliation with that organization what makes them "true Christians"? And what does that make every other sincere and devout believer in Christ? "Fake Christians"?

jeager106

Premium Member
Okay, but just for the sake of argument, let's say they're right and the things they believe are "the Truth." Is their affiliation with that organization what makes them "true Christians"? And what does that make every other sincere and devout believer in Christ? "Fake Christians"?

I dunno, not being anything but an novice follower of Christ and Bible student.
Do most devout Christians believe their particular denomination the "true path"
to heavenly reward or an eternity on a cleansed and perfect world governed
by a theocracy?

"And what does that make every other sincere and devout believer in Christ? "Fake Christians"?[/QUOTE]

According to J.W. dogma it makes them part of Babylon the Great, the worldwide false
religion deceived by Satan. (or the Democratic party) (JOKE THERE, CHILL OUT!)

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/babylon-the-great-revelation/

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/babylon-the-great-revelation/

^^^ just a couple site proclaiming what Babylon the Great is supposed to be.

The true Christians Are the true Christian Church. Even if nobody knows who they are. Even if they are scattered. God knows who they are

Last edited:

jeager106

Premium Member
Babylon the great is a false world religion. It will apparently have its headquarters in Rome. it is interesting that she is described as wealthy and clothed in purple and scarlet. Purple was the color of the Roman Empire.

^^^ indicates that Babylon the Great is led by the R.C.C.
http://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/what-is-babylon-the-great/

Thoughts??????
Is Babylon the Great worldwide FALSE religion and is it led by the R.C.C.?
Comments welcome as I'm soooooooooooooooo curious to know.

Kent856

Without delving into scripture id like to give an answer to the main question. Its my opinion that a church or organisation is not necessary to be a Christian, aka someone who learns about Jesus and Jehovah through the Bible and follows Jesus in service to Jehovah.

There was a period of time when the true meaning of the scriptures was lost. However there were still many many people were served God honestly and wholeheartedly, even though they didn't have a complete picture of the truth.

So, even though Christianity fell into apostasy, there were still faithful individuals mixed In amongst them, who's hearts were pure In service to God. Its the same way in our day.
I hope I answered the question.

Thanda

This thread was started to pick up where a 10-year-old thread currently stanxisds. I wanted to start from scratch in discussing this topic, but will approach the subject from a slightly different perspective. The original OP asked the question, "Did the Christian Church ever fall away completely?" One of the options in this poll was, "No, there has always been a Godly remnant." Personally, I don't see this option as even being relevant. When I first read it ten years ago, my first thought was, "So what if there has always been a godly remnant. What does that prove?" To me, that statement would only be relevant had the question been "Have there always been Christians since Christianity was first established?" So I'm asking now: "Does the existence of a 'godly remnant' prove the Church never fell into apostasy?" Personally, I don't see any real correlation between "a godly remnant" existing and "the true Church" never having fallen into apostasy. If this question doesn't make sense to you, then try answering this one instead: Can there be "true Christians" without a "true Christian Church"? Perhaps we need to begin by explaining what we mean when we use the phrases "a true Christian" and "the true Christian Church."

I think it can be a tricky one since there are so many definitions of the word Church around. By some definitions it is possible to associate the existence of a Godly remnant with the existence of the true Church.

But when I think of a Church I think of what Jesus understood to constitute a Church. His words to Peter "upon this rock I will build my church" and more generally his calling of leaders in the church (the twelve and the seventy) seems to show that his understanding of the word church was more as a specific and orderly organisation rather than just an arbitrary group of good people.

And if that is the case then, the answer is no - the existence of a godly remnant does not prove that the Church never completely fell away.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Babylon the great is a false world religion. It will apparently have its headquarters in Rome. it is interesting that she is described as wealthy and clothed in purple and scarlet. Purple was the color of the Roman Empire.

^^^ indicates that Babylon the Great is led by the R.C.C.
http://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/what-is-babylon-the-great/

Thoughts??????
Is Babylon the Great worldwide FALSE religion and is it led by the R.C.C.?
Comments welcome as I'm soooooooooooooooo curious to know.
I think Babylon the Great is an attitude of making one's self like God. Daniel 4:30 To not be of Babylon a person should do this imo: 1 Peter 5:6

It is interesting that the Jehovah's Witnesses changed Matthew 5:3 to read, "happy are those conscious of their spiritual need" , but that it was written, "Happy are those who beg for spirit". They have made the meaning somewhat opposite. They are teaching that it means to know. But it means to keep wanting to know.
Compare Matthew 14:12

I can't imagine how anyone might not see that they are exalting themselves.Matthew 23:12

jeager106

Premium Member
I think Babylon the Great is an attitude of making one's self like God. Daniel 4:30 To not be of Babylon a person should do this imo: 1 Peter 5:6

It is interesting that the Jehovah's Witnesses changed Matthew 5:3 to read, "happy are those conscious of their spiritual need" , but that it was written, "Happy are those who beg for spirit". They have made the meaning somewhat opposite. They are teaching that it means to know. But it means to keep wanting to know.
Compare Matthew 14:12

I can't imagine how anyone might not see that they are exalting themselves.Matthew 23:12

@Savage wind.
You seem to have a bit of an issue with J.W.'s & one wonders why that is.
If personal then disregard the question.
Frankly I have an issue with the New World Translation of the J.W. Bible but
ONLY because the Governing Body refuses to disclose the experts who did
the translation.
I have 4 or 5 translations of the Christian Bible.
Seeing as how the WRB&T Society discourages J.W.'s from attending college
one wonder who the translator(s) are/were.
Prior to November 1992, the message in Witness literature from their leadership was unmistakable and absolute—university education was something Jehovah’s Witnesses should not pursue. Why not? Because higher education is the way to obtain a prestigious “worldly” career and the key to a prosperous, materialistic life-style in a world that God will soon destroy.
For example, in 1969, the Watchtower stated the following with respect to how Witness high school graduates should view the pursuit of higher education:
“The influence and spirit of this world is to get ahead, to make a name for oneself. Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them “brainwash” you with the Devil’s propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any ‘future’ this world offers is no future!”

One wonders what the J.W.'s would do without doctors, lawyers, engineers, people with the education to TRANSLATE original Hebrew, Greek & Aramaic etc.?

jeager106

Premium Member
About religion and the insistence that some religions are more "right"
than others.
The slogans of these organisations should be WE ARE RIGHT, WE ARE RIGHT,
shortened to W. A. R. W.A.R.......................WAR!
Yeah! That'l work.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Savage wind.
You seem to have a bit of an issue with J.W.'s & one wonders why that is.
What did the prophets prophesy? Why did they communicate what they did? To whom did they speak?

Make straight the way of Jehovah. I have an issue against crookedness. I have to wonder why I am alone that way.

Kent856

@jeager106 I don't want to hijack this thread to discuss Jws but just wonna say you're correct about how we discourage the pursuit of a career for wealth or material gain. I personally have been to college in the UK 3 separate times for a total of 4 years and was never once councilled for it. Im also soon undergoing yet more training to become an electrician.

The whole point is, don't dedicate yourself to a career path simply for material "security". Its worthless.

1 Tim 6:6-10 - "To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things. But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains."

I know you may still not agree with our view, but I don't see it as a major point for discussion myself :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
"And what does that make every other sincere and devout believer in Christ? "Fake Christians"?
According to J.W. dogma it makes them part of Babylon the Great, the worldwide false religion deceived by Satan. (or the Democratic party) (JOKE THERE, CHILL OUT!)
Yeah, but is it really a joke? It definitely wasn't my intention to zero in on any one Christian denomination (or whatever those Christians who insist that they aren't a "denomination" at all, rather "true Christianity"), but I've been told almost exactly what you just said by people who meant every last word of it. I happen to believe that the Church Jesus Christ established did, in fact, fall into apostasy. I also happen to believe that it has been reestablished and that it is the church I am a member of. Does that mean I believe that every self-professing Christian who is not a member of my church is a "fake Christian" or part of "Babylon the Great"? Absolutely not. Furthermore, I believe there have been "real Christians" around every since the time of Christ, even after the apostasy I believe happened took place. To me, being a "true/real Christian" has a lot less to do with the details of the doctrines one believes than it has with the condition of one's heart. Sure, I think God wants us to be a part of the Church that teaches true doctrines, but I don't think He's as concerned with our getting all of the facts right as we are sometimes convinced He is.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi Katzpur :

I think that there is a distinction (at least in my mind) to be made between the Christian church εκκλεσια as a fully functioning “organization” having all elements of authority and ordinances and a full complement of apostles, prophets, teachers, elders, etc, etc. that are a single and fully functioning organization versus the idea of Christians trying to follow the best set of models as to what constitutes Christianity. I think other distinctions could be made, but I simply want to point out that the word “church” or εκκλεσια can be considered under its separate definitions and this may affect the answers.

For example, If one is asking if the original Christian organization, (having a full complement of teachings and ordinances and officers and authority, and ongoing revelation through apostles and prophet, etc.) was contaminated and apostatized once the prophets and apostles died off, then the answer is, clearly, yes. If the Jewish records tell us anything, it is that mankind tends to apostatize and schism despite best efforts.

However, If one is asking concerning those who are of the εκκλεσια, meaning the individuals who are invited (or called) out of the world (which is the meaning of the compound words εκ+καλεσια) and are part of the gathering of “firstfruits” among christiant, then I think there have always been wonderful and extraordinary individual Christians who have tried to live the very best lives and do what they thought was expected of their religion.

I also think that most (not all) of the various early doctrines have existed in the form of “doctrinal debris” in some form or another and in some source or another but have been undiscovered and unknown to the larger Christian consciousness. In this way I would categorize them as “forgotten doctrines” or “lost doctrines” or “abandoned doctrines” that one can still find scattered throughout the early Judeo-Christian texts that describe what early Christian doctrines looked like and what their religions interpretations were.

Thus, I think the original, fully functional church, having a full complement of authorized officers including the early ordinances and all of the original doctrines and functions and worldviews, apostatized after the death of prophets and apostles. But, I think doctrinal and moral "debris" from this early christian movement has, more or less, existed. The fact that a "godly remnant" of individuals existed, who were trying to do their best, doesn't constitute the original organization as the original, historical εκκλεσια.

This is my current model pending better data. I hope it makes sense.

Clear
εισιφιω

First Baseman

Retired athlete
The Church cannot be defeated by Satan because Jesus said it can't. The secular Church is secular and not spiritual. Jesus was speaking of the Church He built, not the churches built by men.

To answer your question, no, the Church built by Jesus cannot fall into apostasy, it isn't possible.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Church cannot be defeated by Satan because Jesus said it can't.
Actually, Jesus said nothing about Satan defeating His Church. Not one word. He said that "the gates of hell would not prevail against it." You are assuming that "the gates of hell" is referring to "Satan," but to the Apostles (to whom Jesus was speaking when He made this statement), it would have meant no such thing.

To answer your question, no, the Church built by Jesus cannot fall into apostasy, it isn't possible.
Uh... I didn't actually ask the question you are answering. I didn't ask if it was possible for the Church Jesus established to fall into apostasy. I asked if the fact that a "godly remnant" may have always existed is proof that this "falling away" (the "apostasia" predicted by Paul) never took place.