• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: A Third Testament?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Christians say that the Old Testament pointed to the appearance of Jesus, but did not indicate that there would be a New Testament written. Nonetheless the NT was written. The NT points to a future dramatic event, the return of Jesus and the end of days. It does not seem out of the question that a Third Testament might be written at that time, Recall that Revelation does not have the end happen all at once but, if taken literally, a period in excess of a thousand years.

The Old Testament, the first set of revelations from God was written over a period of years. The same is true of the New Testament although the time span was substantially shorter. If we take that a a guide, might a Third Testament be perhaps a single book, if book it is? That is, not ongoing revelation but all at once.

All very speculative of course, but I do not see anything in scripture that would definitively rule out a Third Testament.
Yes, the "books" were mentioned in Revelation 20... during the thousand years, very close to the start.
(Revelation 20:12)

Notice though, that the short time Jesus describes before his coming, occurs before the start of the thousand years. So nothing will be added to that message.
Only after the start of the thousand years, will books be opened.

Milton Platt

I believe in progressive revelation:

That the truth is revealed to humankind one part at a time, not all at once

That it is given when people are ready for it

The fact that our New Testament was added to the old Hebrew Bible shows us that this has happened at least once, within the Christian tradition

How can we be sure there won’t at some point be a Third Testament?

I think anyone could write such a thing, but that the question of to what extent such a thing would ever be accepted is a different issue!

Indeed I should imagine such an effort would be largely rejected amongst believers

What do people think?

Edit: I should imagine one would have to convince people it is somehow inspired by God!

How would you go about verifying that this is true?

InChrist

Free4ever

The fact that our New Testament was added to the old Hebrew Bible shows us that this has happened at least once, within the Christian tradition

I think anyone could write such a thing, but that the question of to what extent such a thing would ever be accepted is a different issue!

Indeed I should imagine such an effort would be largely rejected amongst believers

What do people think?

Edit: I should imagine one would have to convince people it is somehow inspired by God!
And what would the point of a third testament be? Why would God need to be redundant when the scriptures are a testament and revelation of Jesus Christ, the Savior of humankind. Jesus Himself stated on the cross His mission was complete, “ It is finished “. And in Jude it is recorded that the information needed for saving faith was once and for all delivered.
God has provided all that is needed for humanity to understand their sinful spiritual state, lost condition, and revealed the remedy for salvation through the Savior Jesus Christ.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thank you but there's no need, it can all be found on the official website!

I'll give it a read at some point/
Yeah, I know. I just can't read something that long online. I don't even like using Kindle!

Apparently my grandmother converted to your church, but I don't think she ever took it further - she never practiced it or observed anything in it. And I'm 99.999% sure she never identified with it. I think she did it on a whim, with zero intent to actually commit - but then I suppose you guys get a lot of that?
I don't know. I think most converts are initially pretty excited about it, but a lot of them lose interest pretty quickly.

firedragon

Veteran Member

What do people think?

I have seen Jews cringe when told their Tanakh is the "Old Testament". Also, they do not accept the New Testament. I presume that when someone like Joseph Smith claims another revelation and making it a replacement or a supplementary book like the NT was to the Tanakh in Christian theology, Christians generally may cringe.

So that's how its gonna be.

Zaha Torte

What do people think?

All I know is that they will most likely kill the messenger before accepting the message.

Clara Tea

These are the final days. Destruction of all life on earth is imminent.

The final days (according to Revelation in the bible) was started by the war in Iraq (two demons rose to lead the most powerful nation in the world, and they were called the dragon and beast and they attacked Iraq (with a break in the administration by someone not named in the bible). That is, a leader who was in power between the dragon and beast, according to the bible.

As the war in Iraq was contemplated, God had assembled prophets (seers....psychics). They met in sizeable numbers. They were tasked, by God, to spread the word of the 3rd testament.

That testament was merely to follow what the previous bibles already said. Why should anyone believe a prophet who tells us that we already know the word of God? Because they are not telling us anything but the religion that we know. So, these prophets said that we must not attack Iraq or face God's wrath (just as Revelation says in the bible).

When Mohammad spread the word of God to start the Islamic faith, he merely came to tell the same word of God that followers already knew.

Why, then, did God want to reiterate what the bible(s) already teach? It is because mankind has strayed from the path of God, and God wants to tell everyone to get back on that same path.

firedragon

Veteran Member
These are the final days. Destruction of all life on earth is imminent.

The final days (according to Revelation in the bible) was started by the war in Iraq (two demons rose to lead the most powerful nation in the world, and they were called the dragon and beast and they attacked Iraq (with a break in the administration by someone not named in the bible). That is, a leader who was in power between the dragon and beast, according to the bible.

As the war in Iraq was contemplated, God had assembled prophets (seers....psychics). They met in sizeable numbers. They were tasked, by God, to spread the word of the 3rd testament.

That testament was merely to follow what the previous bibles already said. Why should anyone believe a prophet who tells us that we already know the word of God? Because they are not telling us anything but the religion that we know. So, these prophets said that we must not attack Iraq or face God's wrath (just as Revelation says in the bible).

When Mohammad spread the word of God to start the Islamic faith, he merely came to tell the same word of God that followers already knew.

Why, then, did God want to reiterate what the bible(s) already teach? It is because mankind has strayed from the path of God, and God wants to tell everyone to get back on that same path.

Do you believe that the Quran is the third testament?

1. Tanakh
2. NT
3. Quran

?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Within the parameters of orthodoxy: because the canon has been closed. (That’s why Thomas isn’t in the canon.)

Within a grander scope of Xy: Are you aware of the BoM?