• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: A Third Testament?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I believe in progressive revelation:

That the truth is revealed to humankind one part at a time, not all at once

That it is given when people are ready for it

The fact that our New Testament was added to the old Hebrew Bible shows us that this has happened at least once, within the Christian tradition

How can we be sure there won’t at some point be a Third Testament?

I think anyone could write such a thing, but that the question of to what extent such a thing would ever be accepted is a different issue!

Indeed I should imagine such an effort would be largely rejected amongst believers

What do people think?

Edit: I should imagine one would have to convince people it is somehow inspired by God!

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The fact that our New Testament was added to the old Hebrew Bible shows us that this has happened at least once, within the Christian tradition
But that's exclusive to the Christian religion. The Jews don't think there's been a second testament, and if I recall aright, Muslims think the Qur'an replaces the Tanakh.

I think there are as many, or as few, testaments or progressive revelations as the individual believer chooses to think there are.

For instance, is the Book of Mormon a third testament such as you have in mind?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Something very bad and unexpected should happen to push some seer, or apostle or prophet to write books which will form a sort of Third Testament, or Newest Testament.

As a Catholic I know the seers of Međugorje have written ( and are writing) books with tremendous revelations. Which answer almost all the unanaswered question of the New Testament.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The Baha'i Faith believes in the universal progressive Revelation for all humanity, and not just a third? Testament. The problem with Judaism, Christianity and Islam is the paradox that Revelation from God is for them only
I never knew that

I know next to nothing about your faith

Will have to do some research

Audie

Veteran Member

I think anyone could write such a thing, but that the question of to what extent such a thing would ever be accepted is a different issue!

Indeed I should imagine such an effort would be largely rejected amongst believers

What do people think?

Edit: I should think the trick would be to convince people it is somehow inspired by God!
Lots of people try to write new bibles.

But doesn't your old one say there is no more to add?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

This is in the section for same faith debates. Anyone who is not a Christian should refrain from posting.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

What do people think?

Edit: I should imagine one would have to convince people it is somehow inspired by God!
I'm not sure what else needs to be revealed.

What we do get is a better revelation of what was revealed.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm not sure what else needs to be revealed.
neither am I :D

I think the existing texts seem to cover everything we need to know, but how can we possible know how much we know and how much we don't know?

Eyes to See

We already know there will be new scrolls that are opened in the new world after Armageddon. Revelation tells us:

"And I saw a great white throne and the One seated on it. From before him the earth and the heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.  And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. But another scroll was opened; it is the scroll of life. The dead were judged out of those things written in the scrolls according to their deeds.  And the sea gave up the dead in it, and death and the Grave gave up the dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds. And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.  Furthermore, whoever was not found written in the book of life was hurled into the lake of fire."-Revelation 20:11-15.

The time period referred to here is the 1,000 years reign of Christ, also known as the Millennial reign of Christ. You know this is the case because Revelation 20:1 opens with the fact that Satan is abyssed for the 1,000 years and then tells us that the 144,000 anointed Christian congregation will rule with Christ during this thousand years over the earth:

What happens during Jesus' reign when his kingdom government comes to earth to rule over it? Well, of course it starts off with the abyssing of Satan and his demons so they cannot mislead humankind anymore:

"And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven with the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. He seized the dragon, the original serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for 1,000 years.  And he hurled him into the abyss and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not mislead the nations anymore until the 1,000 years were ended."-Revelation 20:1-3.

During that time Jesus Christ will rule from heaven with his holy chosen ones over the earth:

"And I saw thrones, and those who sat on them were given authority to judge. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed for the witness they gave about Jesus and for speaking about God, and those who had not worshipped the wild beast or its image and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand. And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for 1,000 years."-Revelation 20:4.

These kings are bought from earth and are witnesses of Jehovah and Jesus Christ that will reign in heaven with Christ over the earth during the 1,000 years.

Now notice. during that time all those that are dead will be brought back to life. And they are judged according to the scrolls that will be opened at that time. So Jehovah God will inspire new scriptures in the new world. And humankind will live by those rules set forth by God at that time, and those who were dead and brought back to life will be judged according to the things written in them.

At the end of the 1,000 years we are shown that death and the Grave (translated Hell in some translations of the Bible) will be thrown into the lake of fire. That is they will be done away with completely and then there will be no more death among humankind as the last enemy death is brought to nothing by Jesus Christ:

"For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing."-1 Corinthians 15:25-26.

It is interesting to note that it appears that the names of all of the 144,000 will be written in the new scrolls that will be inspired at that time. All the faithful anointed Christians that are resurrected to heavenly spirit life with Christ will then be known to humankind. They may have friends and family that in the resurrection to life on earth will miss them and wonder where they are. Jehovah will leave no doubt as to who he resurrected to heaven to rule with Christ:

"And about Zion it will be said:
“Each and every one was born in her.”
And the Most High will firmly establish her.
 Jehovah will declare, when recording the peoples:
“This is one who was born there.”

-Psalm 87:5, 6.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

What do people think?

Well, the full title of "The Book of Mormon" is "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ." So, there already is one, and you're right, it's largely rejected by the majority of Christians. And there is a Christian denomination that believes in progression revelation: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The majority of Christians reject it, too. And I'm not here to try to convert anybody; that's just not me. This is just FYI.

74x12

What do people think?

God gives people with the holy Spirit messages all the time; if they want to write it down that's great. But a third testament would be a new Covenant. There is no greater Covenant than the one Jesus already gives because the Covenant Jesus gives is resurrection from the dead. It's eternal life. So that's the best and final Testament.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I've added that to my reading list :)

Is it long?
It's 531 pages long. Some of it is very easy reading and very interesting. Other parts are more difficult and even boring. My favorite "books" within the BoM are Mosiah and 3 Nephi. If you'd be interested, I can mail you a free copy, and I'd promise not to even ask you what you thought of it or how you were coming on your reading. If you're interested, just PM me.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It's 531 pages long. Some of it is very easy reading and very interesting. Other parts are more difficult and even boring. My favorite "books" within the BoM are Mosiah and 3 Nephi. If you'd be interested, I can mail you a free copy, and I'd promise not to even ask you what you thought of it or how you were coming on your reading. If you're interested, just PM me.
Thank you but there's no need, it can all be found on the official website!

I'll give it a read at some point

Apparently my grandmother converted to your church, but I don't think she ever took it further - she never practiced it or observed anything in it. And I'm 99.999% sure she never identified with it. I think she did it on a whim, with zero intent to actually commit - but then I suppose you guys get a lot of that?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
God gives people with the holy Spirit messages all the time; if they want to write it down that's great. But a third testament would be a new Covenant. There is no greater Covenant than the one Jesus already gives because the Covenant Jesus gives is resurrection from the dead. It's eternal life. So that's the best and final Testament.

The Holy Spirit comforts and guides us all, all the time, Christian or not.
Not every one choses to hear or heed that call.
Some would say that was only since penticost.
I would suggest it has always been so.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Nice.

I assume by people, you mean God's people.
Not sure what you mean by ready for it, but if you mean, the time God determines, I would agree.

Very good question.
I go by what is written in Hebrews 1
1 Long ago God spoke to our forefathers by means of the prophets on many occasions and in many ways. 2 Now at the end of these days he has spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the systems of things.

The scripture specifically says, "at the end of these days he has spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things".
So if God says he speaks to us by means of this son, and this son has been appointed by God, to be heir of all things, then in line with the rest of the scriptures, I accept that we have been given the final revelation [see footnote], before the great day of God almighty, after which, only those who find themselves in Gods new world, will know that they made the right choice.

footnote
(Revelation 1:1-3) 1A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John, 2who bore witness to the word God gave and to the witness Jesus Christ gave, yes, to all the things he saw. 3Happy is the one who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy and who observe the things written in it, for the appointed time is near.

(Revelation 22:7) Look! I am coming quickly. Happy is anyone observing the words of the prophecy of this scroll.

(Revelation 22:10, 11) 10He also tells me: “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, for the appointed time is near. 11 Let the one who is unrighteous continue in unrighteousness, and let the filthy one continue in his filth; but let the righteous one continue in righteousness, and let the holy one continue in holiness.

(Revelation 22:18-20) 18“I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; 19and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things that are written about in this scroll. 20“The one who bears witness of these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming quickly.’” “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.”

This is specific in saying that nothing should be added or taken away from Jesus final message before he comes to execute judgment on his enemies - those deserving death, and reward his slaves - those he gives life.

For good reason too.
I think if any book qualified as material close to the Bible, it would give evidence of the Devil's handiwork.
The Bible describes that one as cunning, and a liar, seeking to devour as many as he can lead away from the truth.

What do people think?

How would they do that, other than by using the Bible in such a way (2 Peter 3:16) to step on.

The only way that one could go about even providing something near convincing that their book is from God, would be to disprove John's words in Revelation, which tells us everything that is to come to pass, including the raising of the dead, the complete destruction of the Devil, and death, and the judgment to life... as well as the rule over the new earth, where suffering and pain and death are no more.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know, this post is addressed to Christians only, it is in Same Faiths Debates!

I didn't have that in mind, no, for me that is not a third testament
Then what are we actually looking for? What test will tell us whether the Book of Mormon, or any other book, is a Further Testament or not?

Miken

Christians say that the Old Testament pointed to the appearance of Jesus, but did not indicate that there would be a New Testament written. Nonetheless the NT was written. The NT points to a future dramatic event, the return of Jesus and the end of days. It does not seem out of the question that a Third Testament might be written at that time, Recall that Revelation does not have the end happen all at once but, if taken literally, a period in excess of a thousand years.

The Old Testament, the first set of revelations from God was written over a period of years. The same is true of the New Testament although the time span was substantially shorter. If we take that a a guide, might a Third Testament be perhaps a single book, if book it is? That is, not ongoing revelation but all at once.

All very speculative of course, but I do not see anything in scripture that would definitively rule out a Third Testament.