• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians! Now which Mosaic Laws are still in force for you?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Just out of interest....can you tell me what teachings that Paul writes about, were not embodied in the Law or in the teachings of Christ.

I'd like some details please.
Stop you there!! :)
You ask about laws of 'Christ's teachings' or others 'embodied in the Law'.
That's what this Thread is about. What other Law do you have in mind? According to nearly every poster on this thread there is no other law. The OT laws are gone, finished, unless Jesus affirmed or acknowledged them.

Now, as you read through Paul's letters, do you find that he makes rules and laws that Jesus never mentioned? Trust me when I tell you that you will.

If you believe that God is speaking through Paul in addition to Jesus, or over Jesus, or despite Jesus, then I must leave you to consider all that in the depths of your own heart and soul. Obviously, as a Deist I don't have to consider much of what Paul wrote, honestly. :)

Have I got to do a heap of homework trawling through 'Paul' to show examples? Really? They are in every letter, you know.

If the Bible is God's word, which we believe it is, then why didn't the holy spirit expose Paul as a fraud? Why are his writings such an integral part of Christian scripture? Does God have no control over the contents of what is essentially his own book? If he can create the Universe, then surely that would be a piece of cake? :shrug:
Do you think God has been controlling all in the World over recent millenia?
If you believe in Paul, then you do. I don't try to tell people what to believe. Researchers have decided that several letters attributed to Paul were not actually his, of course.

But that's not my focus. I want to know what Christians believe in and follow without telling them about my beliefs.... so I'm not flogging Deism, but I do get interested when some Christians manage to skew Christianity in to oppressive and contentious treatment of other (outside) people, and in the past have noticed that such folks shout the OT Laws out loud. That's nobody that has posted on this thread, by the way. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
But what about where Paul writes rules and laws which Jesus never mentioned?
I thought it was safe to mention him.....apparently not. :oops:

Stop you there!! :)
You ask about laws of 'Christ's teachings' or others 'embodied in the Law'.
That's what this Thread is about. What other Law do you have in mind? According to nearly every poster on this thread there is no other law. The OT laws are gone, finished, unless Jesus affirmed or acknowledged them.

Are you always this black and white OB? Do you take any scripture as truth? If it were not for scripture, we would know nothing of the Creator or Jesus Christ. We would have to rely on sources unrelated to Judaism and Christianity....and there are slim pickings. If you can’t trust “believers” not to mess up interpretation, what hope do you have if you rely on unbelievers for your information? :shrug:

If what is taught in the NT embodies the principles of the Mosaic Law, does it really matter? The letter of the La was not the important part as Jesus said....it was the spirit or reason for the Law that mattered. The Pharisees were strictly legalistic, but Jesus was not. There were “weightier matters” than just the enforcement of the Law. (Matthew 23:23-24)

Now, as you read through Paul's letters, do you find that he makes rules and laws that Jesus never mentioned? Trust me when I tell you that you will.

From the Christian perspective, Paul was educated directly by the post resurrection Jesus Christ....who are any of us to say that he did not teach what Jesus taught him? It would be just a matter of opinion at best. When Paul finally caught up with the other apostles, he was already well educated in the faith, (after a complete 360 degree turn around) and those men accepted him as an apostle, though not one of the 12. His assignment was as unique as he was in Christianity. Jesus used his education and his Roman citizenship to preach to the educated Gentiles, especially the Greek philosophers. He was also haled before governors and high officials. They would never have listened to humble fishermen. (Acts 17:22-23)

If you believe that God is speaking through Paul in addition to Jesus, or over Jesus, or despite Jesus, then I must leave you to consider all that in the depths of your own heart and soul. Obviously, as a Deist I don't have to consider much of what Paul wrote, honestly. :)

As a deist, I’m sure you can formulate whatever opinions you like about Paul. If the other apostles accepted him and they were gifted with the Holy Spirit, then that is good enough for me....no matter what anyone else says. I don’t rely on ‘experts’ who want to tear down what God has provided for our guidance. He is either powerful enough to guide our spiritual journey, as our loving Creator, with a purpose to our being.....or he is an uncaring inventor who had no purpose in putting us here, and couldn’t care two hoots about what happens to us. I know which one gels with my own experience.

Have I got to do a heap of homework trawling through 'Paul' to show examples? Really? They are in every letter, you know.

I have seen no evidence for this assertion OB.

Since another poster brought up Paul and your response to any mention of Paul in other threads has been rather hostile, (to say the least) I assumed that you had indeed done your homework and had a full dossier on him. :rolleyes: Armed with that I was hoping you could offer me some examples to examine....but ‘skanky old mongrels’ apparently just get cranky and make excuses. :D LOL

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Just out of interest....can you tell me what teachings that Paul writes about, were not embodied in the Law or in the teachings of Christ. I have heard people mention these things, but since Paul's education was provided by the resurrected Jesus himself, (not the other apostles) how can anyone categorically state that what Paul taught was not Jesus' teachings? When did he ever contradict either the spirit of the Law or anything Jesus taught?

I'd like some details please.

If the Bible is God's word, which we believe it is, then why didn't the holy spirit expose Paul as a fraud? Why are his writings such an integral part of Christian scripture? Does God have no control over the contents of what is essentially his own book? If he can create the Universe, then surely that would be a piece of cake? :shrug:

If............... If.............
Oh alright.
I couldn't spend much time to trawl all Paul's letters so just wandered through and snatched half a dozen examples.
All you have to do is show me where Jesus mentioned these. You might find one or two because I've done this at a canter, but if I carried on for a dull day I'd fill several pages. I wrote very brief precis, the verses need to be looked up.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear (EPHESIANS 6:5)
Be not entangled with keeping the law (GALATIANS 5:1. )
Let no one be circumcised (as a religious rite, 1 CORINTHIANS 7:18)
Let the woman cut her hair if her head is uncovered (1 CORINTHIANS 11:6)
Let no one judge you with regard to meats, drinks, holy days, new moons, and sabbath days (ROMANS 14:5-7)
Let women learn quietly in church or at home (1 CORINTHIANS 14:34-35)
Let those taught support the teacher (GALATIANS 6:6)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I thought it was safe to mention him.....apparently not. :oops:
It was safe. Kind of.
I just bnever read a single word of Paul's that showed me that he took any interest in, or knew anything about Jesus, his life or his mission, is all. Never once did he say, in context, about something that Jesus did, or an anecdote about a healing, or a voyage, etc.

Are you always this black and white OB? Do you take any scripture as truth?
Yes. In matters of Law I am this Black and White.
And I find that most Christians are when it suits them, for instance, when they shove their Laws at same-sex marriage and stuff like that. You see? Black and White.
I used to train commercial detectives and they need to be correct every time if they want to survive in their jobs. That's hard.

And Yes. I believe the account of Jesus as written in G-Mark, and many many accounts in Luke and Matthew, and a lot of the stories and info given in G-John.

Those are the books which I have been studying for many years.

If what is taught in the NT embodies the principles of the Mosaic Law, does it really matter? The letter of the La was not the important part as Jesus said....it was the spirit or reason for the Law that mattered. The Pharisees were strictly legalistic, but Jesus was not. There were “weightier matters” than just the enforcement of the Law. (Matthew 23:23-24)
No. True, Jesus was not immersed in Law.
And so I often wonder why many Creeds are immersed in it when it suits them. A bit like the Pharisees, maybe?
That's why I do respect the decisions of some Scottish and English Churches to marry same-sex couples, for instance, or to Ordain Women Priests. Jesus was not immersed in the Law. You got that right. :D

From the Christian perspective, Paul was educated directly by the post resurrection Jesus Christ....who are any of us to say that he did not teach what Jesus taught him? It would be just a matter of opinion at best. When Paul finally caught up with the other apostles, he was already well educated in the faith, (after a complete 360 degree turn around) and those men accepted him as an apostle, though not one of the 12. His assignment was as unique as he was in Christianity. Jesus used his education and his Roman citizenship to preach to the educated Gentiles, especially the Greek philosophers. He was also haled before governors and high officials. They would never have listened to humble fishermen. (Acts 17:22-23)
Well, yes..... that's a Christian Miracle. Paul knowing Jesus. Miraculous.
As a Deist researching the life and mission of Jesus I stop at the point where Jesus leaves the terrestrial accounts.

As a deist, I’m sure you can formulate whatever opinions you like about Paul. If the other apostles accepted him and they were gifted with the Holy Spirit, then that is good enough for me....no matter what anyone else says. I don’t rely on ‘experts’ who want to tear down what God has provided for our guidance. He is either powerful enough to guide our spiritual journey, as our loving Creator, with a purpose to our being.....or he is an uncaring inventor who had no purpose in putting us here, and couldn’t care two hoots about what happens to us. I know which one gels with my own experience.
Fair enough. And as a student of the history about Jesus I don't often get too involved in the spiritual journey of events after Jesus.

I have seen no evidence for this assertion OB.
I quoted one or two in an earlier post because of time factors. But honestly, just look at this one:-
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear (Ephesians 6:5)
Do you think that Jesus supported slavery?
Nah!

Since another poster brought up Paul and your response to any mention of Paul in other threads has been rather hostile, (to say the least) I assumed that you had indeed done your homework and had a full dossier on him. :rolleyes: Armed with that I was hoping you could offer me some examples to examine....but ‘skanky old mongrels’ apparently just get cranky and make excuses. :D LOL
Well, no....... I don't tend to waste my life on negative missions unless I'm really really vexed because even when delivering evidence to folks, some go in to denial anyway, and there's me having lost time, and I cannot afford to lose time.

But you're right about me.
I don't trust in Paul, but try to keep my bile down as much as possible or it spoils my appetite.
But Jesus? Being amazed by the life and mission of the Baptist and Jesus cannot make me a Christian, I'm afraid. I don't think that they were, either. :)

PureX

Veteran Member
Does this mean that you are a very individual Christian, not following any particular Church? I ask because I have never heard such descriptions of Jesus before.
I was raised Catholic, but never accepted their contention that any one man (or church) is intended to be the 'gatekeeper' between any other man and God. We all have access to God's spirit within ourselves, and do not need religions or churches to attain our salvation, or to help others do the same. Religions and churches are tools that we can use to do that if we wish, but when they try to claim divine authority, as they almost always do, they become dishonest and perverse.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If............... If.............
Oh alright.
I couldn't spend much time to trawl all Paul's letters so just wandered through and snatched half a dozen examples.
All you have to do is show me where Jesus mentioned these. You might find one or two because I've done this at a canter, but if I carried on for a dull day I'd fill several pages. I wrote very brief precis, the verses need to be looked up.
Thank you...you know I love to get my teeth into some meat......
character0104.gif

Let the investigation begin......:D

Case for the defense.....the catch-cry in all of this is CONTEXT....and also reference to other verses.
I'm glad you said to look them up.....

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear (EPHESIANS 6:5)

It helps to know that slavery was very common in those days.....in fact it was probably the most common form of employment.
What about Peter? Does he get to comment on this?
"Let servants be in subjection to their masters with all due fear, not only to the good and reasonable but also to those hard to please." (1 Peter 2:18)

Since servitude in Israel was akin to employment, slaves were not harshly treated by the standards of the day, (remembering that older children were beaten with rods for disrespecting their parents.) A beating with a rod would not normally be fatal, as is shown by the statement at Proverbs 23:13: “Do not hold back discipline from the mere boy. In case you beat him with the rod, he will not die.”

How many kids died from getting a whooping down behind the woodshed? :eek: It was called discipline.

And the slavery that was practiced in Bible times in Israel was nothing like the harsh practices of other nations. (Like Egypt for example) Still, it was a different time and a different culture. We don't do things like that in today's western world, though sadly, things like child slavery and sweat shop labor still exist in some "developing" nations.:(

Be not entangled with keeping the law (GALATIANS 5:1. )

Not sure what translation you are using there OB but the NWT and others similarly render that verse..."For such freedom Christ set us free. Therefore, stand firm, and do not let yourselves be confined again in a yoke of slavery."

Peter again offers clarification. When the Jews were trying to impose Jewish Law on the Gentiles by insisting on circumcision....
"After much intense discussion had taken place, Peter rose and said to them: “Men, brothers, you well know that from early days God made the choice among you that through my mouth people of the nations should hear the word of the good news and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, bore witness by giving them the holy spirit, just as he did to us also. 9 And he made no distinction at all between us and them, but purified their hearts by faith. 10 So why are you now making a test of God by imposing on the neck of the disciples a yoke that neither our forefathers nor we were capable of bearing?"

The Jews were enslaved to a Law that none of them could keep. Christ had offered them freedom from the Law, by accepting the value of Christ's sacrifice for setting them free. He released them from the "curse" of the Law that condemned them every day, because they were now under the Law of Christ...or the Law of Love. The Gentiles were receiving the holy spirit and they were not circumcised.

Paul also said..."Were you called when a slave? Do not let it concern you; but if you can become free, then seize the opportunity. 22 For anyone who was called in the Lord when a slave is the Lord’s freedman; likewise anyone who was called when a freeman is a slave of Christ. 23 You were bought with a price; stop becoming slaves of men. 24 In whatever state each one was called, brothers, let him remain in it before God."

Why condemn Paul on only a small misinterpreted part of what he said. Paul does not deserve this flack IMO.

Let no one be circumcised (as a religious rite, 1 CORINTHIANS 7:18)
I am a little disappointed that a man of your experience leaves out parts of these verses and takes them out of context. I know you said it was hasty....but should a man be condemned in haste? o_O

What did Paul really say when you compare his other statements?
"Was any man already circumcised when he was called? Let him not undo his circumcision. Has any man been called while uncircumcised? Let him not get circumcised."

His next words clarify his statement..."Circumcision means nothing, and uncircumcision means nothing; what means something is the observing of God’s commandments. 20 In whatever state each one was called, let him remain in it."
Romans 2:25-27...."Circumcision is, in fact, of benefit only if you practice law; but if you are a transgressor of law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 If, therefore, an uncircumcised person keeps the righteous requirements of the Law, his uncircumcision will be counted as circumcision, will it not? 27 And the physically uncircumcised person will, by carrying out the Law, judge you who are a transgressor of law despite having its written code and circumcision."

He was comparing ritual compliance with heartfelt obedience.

Let the woman cut her hair if her head is uncovered (1 CORINTHIANS 11:6)

Paul opens his letter to the Corinthians with this statement...."Become imitators of me, just as I am of Christ."
How does Paul become an imitator of someone he has never met? He goes on to say....

"I commend you because in all things you remember me and you are holding fast the traditions just as I handed them on to you."
There is mention of "traditions handed on to" the elders of the congregations. We don't know what those traditions were specifically....but some may have become Christian scripture via Paul's writings? :shrug:
Not everything that was said and done in the first century made it into print.

A head covering was a sign of respect for God's headship arrangement. No women presided over spiritual matters in the congregations. They were created, as Genesis states, as a compliment of their men. It was to be a support role, equally important, much like the navigator who sits beside the rally driver, having mapped out the route, helping him get to their destination in good time, but safely.

Let no one judge you with regard to meats, drinks, holy days, new moons, and sabbath days (ROMANS 14:5-7)

Again, very easy to explain....these were all things pertaining to the Law of Moses.
"Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake."

So no one was to judge another by the fact that they were, or were not, observing the things of the Law. For Christians it no longer mattered. They were not under the Law of Moses but under the Law of the Christ as partakers of the New Covenant. If Jews wanted to observe the things in the Law, that was up to them, but it was no longer binding on Christ's disciples and no one was to judge another over it.

Let women learn quietly in church or at home (1 CORINTHIANS 14:34-35)

Women were not educated in the Jewish religious system because all matters pertaining to worship were assigned to men. For a woman to interrupt a Christian meeting with questions or distractions, would have been detrimental to all in attendance. Better to wait and ask Hubby when they got home. Humility would have been exercised and her husband would have been proud of her decorum and obedience.
In Eden, Adam was the one who educated his wife and together, they would educate their children. She was given to him as a helper, not as competition.

Let those taught support the teacher (GALATIANS 6:6)

Jesus said to his apostles in Matthew 10:9-10......."Do not acquire gold or silver or copper for your money belts, 10 or a food pouch for the trip, or two garments, or sandals, or a staff, for the worker deserves his food."

Luke also recorded Jesus' words..."Do not carry a money bag or a food pouch or sandals, and do not greet anyone along the road. 5 Wherever you enter into a house, say first: ‘May this house have peace.’ 6 And if a friend of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if there is not, it will return to you. 7 So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages". (Luke 10:4-7)

It was an expectation in Jewish culture that hospitality be shown to strangers.

I am sure that a little more research and a little less bias may disarm this vendetta against Paul. :rolleyes:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I was raised Catholic, but never accepted their contention that any one man (or church) is intended to be the 'gatekeeper' between any other man and God. We all have access to God's spirit within ourselves, and do not need religions or churches to attain our salvation, or to help others do the same. Religions and churches are tools that we can use to do that if we wish, but when they try to claim divine authority, as they almost always do, they become dishonest and perverse.
Wow!
A great post, imo.
I am a Deist but I can really appreciate that Theistic pov.
Thankyou for that.
For me that is a new view of Christianity.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
It's time that I found out about this. One Christian might mention a law and quote from the Mosaic books, another could dismiss the same law but feel strong about other ones. Some of the more extreme Christians seem to want a Theistic Monarchy leading a Police State (oh yes!) whilst others focus upon love and understanding as the main message of Jesus. The range of tenets that fall under the title of Christianity are legion, I think.

And I cannot tie any of it down! Like willow-the-wisps some Christians will pick up and drop Mosaic Laws at whim (it seems) whilst totally disregarding the ones that others have greatest respect for.
So...... please...... Can you help with this?

To start off, let's pick any one Mosaic law ...... this was chosen by my wife by opening early pages of the bible and placing her finger down until eventually there was a law underneath, and so fate decided this one:-

Deut {24:5} When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business:[but] he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

OK..... So..... how many Christian business folks have a one-year paid leave (or leave of absence) scheme for their employee brides and/or grooms? If not, why not?
Instead of trying to make a perfect listing of remaining laws like "do not murder", we have a perfect summary Christ gave us --

37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

And sometimes people ask "how do you love your neighbor" (there are 500 versions of this question, like 'what if your neighbor (someone at work, your sister, this guy I know, etc) does _____, then what do you do?' ). And we have the perfected complete answer (if we are willing to hear it...)

Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

It really is that simple, and far reaching. Christ also gives many specific examples to help us really get that this rule is total and for real. And there isn't any aspect of life left out. I cannot for example Love God unless I actually spend some time (which is a form of what was called the "Sabbath"), for instance. There isn't any unaddressed thing that I've ever been able to find. It's just this simple and definite, as He says.

Last edited:

Iymus

Wait a minute!
My wife is not a Christian, she simply turned to an early page of the bible and placed her finger upon those verses. At my request! So that I could tell the members here that the Law was selected at random.

You don't pay attention to what is written, methinks.

That was more of a lighthearted response.
Possibly best to check with Jews for the best insight on Deu 24:5.

Based on how it is written though the emphasis seems to be on preventing the newly married husband from being deployed or working away from home for multiple consecutive days. A nine to five type of job where you are back in your newly wife's embrace does not seem unlawful.

Perhaps the emphasis is also ensuring the man has time to bring up his lineage in the case that he dies due to military service or working away from home. That way he has a legacy and descendant thru his wife.

Maybe a newly married wife is too vulnerable to be in despair and possibly look for the embrace for another "which is not good for the marriage" in the initial one year period.

I can only try to perceive the intention and benefit of the law what some may call spirit of the law.

1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Ok, if that's going to help.
But it does seem as if you, a follower of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints (?) does not follow the OT laws, really.
Correct?
So far no Christian member has said that they follow any of the OT Laws.
It's a tricky subject. You do things Moses' way or Jesus' way and they both have the same end in mind, but Jesus' way is more about the spirit of the law and Moses' way is more about the letter of the law.

You can do Moses' laws. There's just no requirement except for the ten commandments. Whatever works, but a Christian should remember the atonement of Jesus Christ as motivation.

…But what about where Paul writes rules and laws which Jesus never mentioned?

Could you give one example?

And, could I ask, are there any Mosaic Laws which you follow from the Old Testament?

I don’t think I can testify for myself, because:

If I testify about myself, my witness is not valid.
John 5:31

But, if I follow the law, it is not because I try to gain salvation by doing so. Correct reason to do it is that one thinks it is good and right and one loves God.

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3

Maybe I don’t follow it, but at the moment I don’t remember any Mosaic Law that I don’t follow. Do you have in mind some Mosaic law that would be difficult or not good to follow?

74x12

Thankyou for that, I do acknowledge the whole post and the info.
There is only one point about one part of it.

My point about 90% of Palestine being peasantry in the time of Jesus (certainly). There was no middle class at all! The Levites had the best jobs ranging from Temple Guard (6000), through Taxation Official(1000's), to Temple Priest (2000) up to Sanhedrin member and many other official positions in between, and the peasant classes were composed of layers such as beggar&sick, Gleaner, Labourer, Haulier, Hand Worker (wood/bone) up to Hand Worker stone and metal).

The only people who rose from the peasant classes were a very few non-Levite Pharisees, merchant traders, successful brigands, best soldiers etc.

Yes..... the people were well down-trodden, which is why I believe that the Baptist and Jesus did what they did, but that's me, a Deist for you. :)
Okay I see where you're coming from. Yes in the time of Christ there was a definite upper and lower class.

I was actually thinking about the time of Moses (when the Law was written) and first few centuries in the Canaan land; rather than the time of Christ. Because that's separated by many centuries. Yes things had changed quite a bit by then. But in the time of Moses and the book of judges you know the people were still very tribal. It was interesting times.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
@Deeje I'm getting engulfed in other posts and yours alone is homework for a weekend (for me).

I'll get to it as soon as I can, but I can respond to your point about 'slaves in Palestine' I can immediately say that since 90% of the whole country was populated by lower 'peasant' classes that there were very few slaves about, and apart from in letters to foreign Churches there is not mention in anecdotes about slaves.

So it seems as if this advice was mainly given to Churches in Roman provinces.

I'll get to your post when I can..... OK?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Instead of trying to make a perfect listing of remaining laws like "do not murder", we have a perfect summary Christ gave us --

37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

And sometimes people ask "how do you love your neighbor" (there are 500 versions of this question, like 'what if your neighbor (someone at work, your sister, this guy I know, etc) does _____, then what do you do?' ). And we have the perfected complete answer (if we are willing to hear it...)

Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

It really is that simple, and far reaching. Christ also gives many specific examples to help us really get that this rule is total and for real. And there isn't any aspect of life left out. I cannot for example Love God unless I actually spend some time (which is a form of what was called the "Sabbath"), for instance. There isn't any unaddressed thing that I've ever been able to find. It's just this simple and definite, as He says.

Hello, and thanks for your post.

So the Christian message is Love, direct from the lips of Jesus..... yes?

How do you feel about same-sex marriages, or ordaining women?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That was more of a lighthearted response.
Possibly best to check with Jews for the best insight on Deu 24:5.

Based on how it is written though the emphasis seems to be on preventing the newly married husband from being deployed or working away from home for multiple consecutive days. A nine to five type of job where you are back in your newly wife's embrace does not seem unlawful.

Perhaps the emphasis is also ensuring the man has time to bring up his lineage in the case that he dies due to military service or working away from home. That way he has a legacy and descendant thru his wife.

Maybe a newly married wife is too vulnerable to be in despair and possibly look for the embrace for another "which is not good for the marriage" in the initial one year period.

I can only try to perceive the intention and benefit of the law what some may call spirit of the law.

1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

So in your case, you read a law in the bible and then you adjust it with sentences beginning in words like 'Seems'. .... 'Perhaps'.... 'Maybe' ..... as above?

But the question stands, 'Do you follow any Mosaic Laws, and if so, which ones, please?