• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Naked Before God?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
My mom grabbed a local newspaper today, and we were both incredibly shocked to see that it featured an article about a group of Christian nudists.

Ok, so I know there are nudists and nudist resorts, and I don't have a problem with people who want that kind of lifestyle. It's their business, not mine. But when supposedly Christian folks start going around claiming that God doesn't care, even in fact, that God encourages, nudity, that's crossing the line. Here's the article: http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Cover_Story/2007/08/02/Naked_Before_God/index.shtml

Warning, there are pictures, but everything that counts is mostly covered.

What are the Christians' here opinions on this? Does everyone else think this is as wrong and absurd as I do, or is it ok for these people to claim they are doing God's will?

Seraphiel

There are Christian nudists, Muslim nudist, Budhist nudist. Even I'm a nudist when I take a shower and when I go to bed. And people are even born nudist. I see naked people every day on my work, because I can't treat them with their clothes on. If they say God encourages nudity, then they are right. If you say God is not encouraging it you are right too. Do you really think God cares or is able to judge about these sort of things?

joeboonda

I didn't look at the article (not cuz I'm a prude, but lazy) but I can say clothing is NOT optional for me. When Adam and Eve Sinned, they tried to cover their nakedness by sewing together coverings of fig leaves. God showed them the wages of sin is death in a picture by killing 2 animals and making them clothes from their skins. Also teaching that our own works do not take away our sins but only God can take them away, still paying the wages of sin, by dying on the cross. Simply wearing clothes reminds us of who paid for our sins and gave us His robe of righteousness in place of our own useless works of righteousness which are filthy rags as far as our salvation is concerned.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm a former Christian so can I answer? :D

I just want to know why it's wrong to be naked in front of others? What's inherently bad about it?

Hope

Princesinha
Christian nudists are a walking contradiction of terms. Modesty and chastity are virtues highly praised and exhorted in the Scriptures. Nudists fulfill neither of these virtues. I'm not questioning whether these people are Christians.....but they're either very confused Christians, or totally apathetic Christians. They're akin to someone saying, yeah I'm a Christian drug dealer, or I'm a Christian prostitute. Ummmm....yeah. The flesh does not walk hand in hand with the spirit. The two just don't mix.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
So the fall occurs after Adam and Eve cover them self up in front of God....So sin enters the world on us seeing something God has made holy, as impure....
There is more rapists in countries where sex and the human body are seen as dirty......
It is the hidden that makes it more desirable in many people’s eyes and so which is worse: People on a beach naked, or looking at a magazine or news paper with women portrayed as Barbie dolls?

Hope

Princesinha
So the fall occurs after Adam and Eve cover them self up in front of God....So sin enters the world on us seeing something God has made holy, as impure....
There is more rapists in countries where sex and the human body are seen as dirty......
It is the hidden that makes it more desirable in many people’s eyes and so which is worse: People on a beach naked, or looking at a magazine or news paper with women portrayed as Barbie dolls?

I see your point, wizanda, but it's not because sex and the human body are themselves inherently dirty. They aren't, and they were never intended to be. If the Fall had never happened, who knows, we might all be walking around naked right now, and there would be nothing wrong with it! :p

The Fall did not occur after Adam and Eve covered themselves....rather Adam and Eve covered themselves after the Fall. Huge difference! Why? Because the Fall, precipitated by Adam and Eve's disobedience and rebellion, led to Adam and Eve's eyes being opened to the possibility of sin, and sin brings shame. Think about it. Why are little children so comfortable being naked, and why do we not suppress their nudity? Because, unlike adults, they are innocent and unaware of sin (most anyway).

Adam and Eve were kind of like children. Totally innocent and unaware. God, in His love and mercy, wanted them to remain that way, and that's why He told them not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Then Satan comes along and whispers to them, if you eat it, you'll be like God. Now, Satan was actually telling them a nugget of truth. They would be like God if they ate it, but only because they would then know what evil was. Prior to eating from the tree they had no idea what evil and sin were.

Every time I think of the story of Adam and Eve I think of a great analogy in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. In Lord of the Rings there are many races of people: hobbits, elves, dwarves, wizards, and, of course, men. Now what's interesting is how Tolkien repeatedly stresses the weakness of the race of men. They were easily corrupted. Why? Because when presented with knowledge and power, they didn't know how to wield that knowledge and power properly. They succumbed too easily to its dark side. Whereas other races such as the wizards and elves were better able to wield a lot of knowledge/power without succumbing to its evil side.

The same is kind of true with humans and with God. God knows the difference between good and evil. But He is able to wield that knowledge without actually succumbing to evil. We humans, on the other hand, are not able to do this. We cannot know about good and evil and not succumb to evil. So God, to make things easier for us humans, intended that we never know the difference to begin with. The expression "what you don't know won't hurt you" is especially appropriate here! If we don't know the possibility of evil and sin, how could we ever commit evil and sin? Thus God did not forbid the tree of the knowledge of good and evil for arbitrary reasons....He did it out of love, to spare us.

Soo...after all that----how does this apply to nudity today? Well, because we fallen humans know the possibility of evil, and are prone to it, the naked human body has taken on not so pure and innocent connotations. God hasn't made it into something dirty and shameful.....we have! We are too prone to look at it and think bad thoughts, which then often leads us to do bad things. So therefore God requires clothing and modesty. Not because He sees our naked bodies as something that should be hidden, but for our own good and protection.

wizanda

Premium Member
Imagine if that fruit was Alcoholic...if we got drunk then we also see our sexuality differently...
Then look around and see where our sexual problems stem from in society....
Think this is why Christ said only drink water if you follow him...

Hab 2:15
(15) Woe unto him that gives his neighbour drink, that putts thy bottle to him, and makes him drunken also, that thou may look on their nakedness!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
My mom grabbed a local newspaper today, and we were both incredibly shocked to see that it featured an article about a group of Christian nudists.

Ok, so I know there are nudists and nudist resorts, and I don't have a problem with people who want that kind of lifestyle. It's their business, not mine. But when supposedly Christian folks start going around claiming that God doesn't care, even in fact, that God encourages, nudity, that's crossing the line. Here's the article: http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Cover_Story/2007/08/02/Naked_Before_God/index.shtml

Warning, there are pictures, but everything that counts is mostly covered.

What are the Christians' here opinions on this? Does everyone else think this is as wrong and absurd as I do, or is it ok for these people to claim they are doing God's will?

Well, it wouldn't do for me -me on- two counts.

Firstly, I am not going to ruin anyone's eyesight with the sight of my bbbbare bbbody; 2 I get cold easily.

As far as religion goes, well God didn't design us to be born clothed, now did he?:rolleyes:

wizanda

Premium Member
Where does He say this? I don't recall that.
Mar 9:41
(41) For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Luk 22:18
(18) For I say unto you, (I will) that not too drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

That applies to all 3 testimonies; Yeshua didn't say share wine he asked not too....first point confirms it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Christian nudists are a walking contradiction of terms. Modesty and chastity are virtues highly praised and exhorted in the Scriptures. Nudists fulfill neither of these virtues. I'm not questioning whether these people are Christians.....but they're either very confused Christians, or totally apathetic Christians. They're akin to someone saying, yeah I'm a Christian drug dealer, or I'm a Christian prostitute. Ummmm....yeah. The flesh does not walk hand in hand with the spirit. The two just don't mix.

Isn't there a difference between nakedness and nudism ? Besides, the way I see it, evil is in the eye of the beholder..........

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
God created all living things Naked.
Nakedness is not a sin.
early mankind spent millions of years naked.
The invention of cloths was probably promoted by an Ice age not modesty.
Just as the loss of body hair was promoted by living in a hot climate.

It is the corrupt mind that sees nakedness as a moral issue or as a sin.

To feel the need to cover up is a learned response.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Nakedness is not a sin.

Thank goodness for that; I thought I was alone here. Fruballs to you!

Hope

Princesinha
Isn't there a difference between nakedness and nudism ? Besides, the way I see it, evil is in the eye of the beholder..........

Ummm.....not according to the dictionary!;)

You are right....at least in the case of nudity, evil is in the eye of the beholder. That was the point I was trying to make. As I said in my previous post, there is nothing inherently wrong with nakedness (or nudity, whichever term you'd prefer to use). God created it, it is therefore inherently good. However, because of the Fall, and sin, humans have the capability of looking at that which is inherently good, but then thinking bad thoughts about that which is good, and then acting on those thoughts. Thus bringing about evil. Therefore, in order to prevent us flawed humans from doing such things, God imposed clothing and modesty. Of course, exceptions are made----between husband and wife, babies, children, etc. But, in general, nakedness should not be flaunted, as it can cause others to think and do evil. I hope this makes more sense. :)

Hope

Princesinha
Nakedness is not a sin.

I agree with this. (Except the millions of years part.)

I don't agree with this. It is not a corrupt mind that sees nakedness in itself as a moral issue or sin, but a corrupt mind that sees a naked body and proceeds to think other unwholesome thoughts because of the naked body, which can then in turn lead to wrong actions. Thus the need for modesty. I explained my reasoning behind this in my other post. :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I agree with this. (Except the millions of years part.)

Then I expect you actually are a creationist.

I don't agree with this. It is not a corrupt mind that sees nakedness in itself as a moral issue or sin, but a corrupt mind that sees a naked body and proceeds to think other unwholesome thoughts because of the naked body, which can then in turn lead to wrong actions. Thus the need for modesty. I explained my reasoning behind this in my other post. :)
Your other post suggests God Clothed us.... I prefer my suggestion.
Interestingly Nudist colonies have far less sexual problems of people being aroused by nakedness than non nudists.
It is not natural to be arouse by the mere sight of nakedness.
Non-nudists have lost the ability to read the necessary body language that indicates a personal sexual interest, so they are easily mislead by their own desires to thinking a naked person might even have the slightest interest in them.

I am afraid it is a corrupt mind that read sexuality into nakedness, and decides that others must cover up to prevent their own sinful nature being provoked.
The naked body does not produce unwholesome thoughts, unwholesome thought can only come from a corrupt mind and such a mind does not require nakedness to provoke it. Lust comes from within, not from what we might see.

Such a person will lust after an attractive person naked or not. To say that they are provoked is only an excuse for their lack of control.

Inky

I've heard about Christian nudist colonies before and I find the idea refreshing. I second Terry's post. They believe that the way society associates nakedness with sexuality causes us to view the human body as corrupt or lewd, which goes against God's intentions. It makes perfect sense to me--and I bet they have fewer issues with things like harrassment even when they do wear clothes...people can wear more comfortable stuff in the summer without worrying that somebody will take it as a code for "hit on me".

Evelyn

Nothing is inherently bad about it. It's what it creates in your mind and the windows of possibilities that is wrong.