• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Christians/Muslims] Role of God

shivsomashekhar

A fundamental question for Christians and Muslims.

1. "Give us today our daily bread" implies God plays some role in our lives. The role is unclear as we are doing all the work in obtaining bread. Can you elaborate on the meaning of this prayer? It cannot be gratitude because the words clearly do not indicate it.

2. Church Shootings: A year ago, some people who were attending Church were killed. During lockdown, a Muslim leader in Delhi called people to pray with him indoors, assuring them that Allah will protect them against COVD-19. Yet, most of them fell sick to the virus anyway.

#2 makes it clear that God does not play a role in day to day life. If he does not intervene in a Church shooting and allows believers to be killed violently, that is a clear statement. But #1 seems to suggest otherwise and hence, the confusion.

Does God play a role in our everyday lives?
If yes, does he do this consistently or is it random?
If he does not intervene, then what is the purpose of believing In God and in prayer? Is it all about what is to happen after death?

Please be concise and sharp. Avoid apologetic and vague responses.

Last edited:

Hellbound Serpiente

I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim, however, I'd like to give my two cents:

I personally feel like yes, God does play a role in our lives. Now I have no objective, concrete, testable proof, all that I personally believe is a tentative, subjective belief based on insufficient evidence and personal experiences, but I have personally witnessed supernatural intervention in my own personal life. Things so improbable that it is nigh-impossible without unassailable power and creative force, and just too composed to be a coincidence, happened. I personally feel like this higher power is God. So, yes, I think that God does play a role in our lives.

Pretty consistent in my life, just like the law of karma played out consistently throughout my life in front of my very eyes.

If he does not intervene, then what is the purpose of believing In God and in prayer? Is it all about what is to happen after death?

Even if God doesn't intervene, it's still His Right. Besides, there are times we feel like God doesn't interfere and injustice happens everywhere, but that feeling is most likely wrong. Truth is, we, humans, are short-sighted. We don't know the whole truth and incapable to seeing the whole picture. We never know what God's Wisdom is behind all that happens in this world, even if it is seemingly negative to us. I think you should read Prophet Moses A.S and Khidr A.S. story in The Holy Qur'an, the moral of the story explains this dilemma.

I can comment more on this but I think this is concise enough. I'd like to cope/paste my more detailed answer on this subject in another topic, but I can't find the topic. If it's necessary, I'll do it

Please be concise and sharp. Avoid apologetic and vague responses.

I tried to be as concise as possible. My apologies if you think my views weren't needed as I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim, but that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
During lockdown, a Muslim leader in Delhi called people to pray with him indoors, assuring them that Allah will protect them against COVD-19. Yet, most of them fell sick to the virus anyway.

A Muslim leader's assurances are just that. Allah is not bound by them.

My everyday life revolves around my five times daily prayer, in which I seek communion with God. At the heart of my prayer is a continual request for guidance from God, and I believe God answers that request. So God absolutely plays a role in my everyday life.

More generally, I believe that God does intervene to help people from time to time, but at a time of Their Choosing and for Their Reasons. I certainly don't believe God does this randomly, even if it may appear so to us humans.

If he does not intervene, then what is the purpose of believing In God and in prayer?

I believe in God not for any purpose per se. I just do. Can't help it :). But I pray to God to remember Them (as well as to seek Their Guidance). And I believe that if I remember God, God will remember me.