• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians - Mark 26:34

Aqualung

Tasty
He didn't create them for mankind just for fun. I think they were already in existence, so of course we measly humans have to follow them, too.

Dentonz

Aqualung said:
He didn't create them for mankind just for fun. I think they were already in existence, so of course we measly humans have to follow them, too.
Hey, I'm not very clearly versed on Mormon doctrine, but the Bible speaks very clearly that God is the beginning and the end of all things. He is the great I AM. He is allmighty, all-powerful, all-knowing. All things in this world and the worlds to come were created by him.
If the Bible is true, he cannot be bound by the laws he created.

Aqualung

Tasty
Dentonz said:
Hey, I'm not very clearly versed on Mormon doctrine, but the Bible speaks very clearly that God is the beginning and the end of all things. He is the great I AM. He is allmighty, all-powerful, all-knowing. All things in this world and the worlds to come were created by him.
If the Bible is true, he cannot be bound by the laws he created.
The laws are outside this world. They were also "in the beginning." He didn't create those laws. (and by the way, I'm not sure if I'm talking mormon doctrine or not. I'm just speaking of my own thoughts)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Jesus knew Peter far better than Peter knew himself and I think their relationship was AWESOME. First you have to understand Peter: he was impetuous, brash and a coward. He worried how others perceived him. If you modernise his name, we would call him "Rock Johnson" today. Who else had the temerity to rebuke our Lord? :D Check this out:

Matthew 16:21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you!" 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." NIV

Jesus knew just how Peter would respond to the stress of the scourge. He knew it not only as a Friend but as God. He IS wiser than all of us combined. Let's take a look at

Luke 22:31 "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

33 But he replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." 34 Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me." NIV

The man had an unrealistic view of his faith: something that is true about most of us!

But of course, the best part of this segment of Peter's life is the resolution that takes place in the last chapter of John.

Dentonz

Aqualung said:
The laws are outside this world. They were also "in the beginning." He didn't create those laws. (and by the way, I'm not sure if I'm talking mormon doctrine or not. I'm just speaking of my own thoughts)
Ok, I just didn't want to offend you if I said something against your faith. Yes, I know the laws are outside this world, in space, throughout the universe and so on. But God does not exist in a physical realm. He is in the spiritual realm. In the realm of God there are no physical laws (laws of physics). Is your spiritual man bound by the laws of physics? I know mine is not. Is it possible for a man to be ressurected from the dead after three days? No, not according to science and physics. But you believe it. Somewhere in your soul or spirit you believe deep down that God raised Jesus from the dead. So you must believe in the spiritual realm.

Aqualung

Tasty
Dentonz said:
Ok, I just didn't want to offend you if I said something against your faith. Yes, I know the laws are outside this world, in space, throughout the universe and so on. But God does not exist in a physical realm. He is in the spiritual realm. In the realm of God there are no physical laws (laws of physics). Is your spiritual man bound by the laws of physics? I know mine is not. Is it possible for a man to be ressurected from the dead after three days? No, not according to science and physics. But you believe it. Somewhere in your soul or spirit you believe deep down that God raised Jesus from the dead. So you must believe in the spiritual realm.
If you have a perfected knowledgeof these laws, it is possible.

Dentonz

Aqualung said:
If you have a perfected knowledgeof these laws, it is possible.
If you do, please enlighten me. I don't believe that we have even figured out how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. There are many things that are physical in our world that in all our knowledge we don't understand. So, I don't think anybody has a perfected knowledge of physical laws.
All I am trying to say through all of this is, I believe that God does not exist physically in our world, dimension, whatever. I believe the Bible teaches that he is spiritual in nature and that he created all things and is therefore not controlled by the laws he created. If he is controlled by something, he is not all-powerfull. And if we don't believe that, we might as well jump on the bandwagon with everybody else that don't believe in God. If he is not the God of the Bible then we don't have anything to base our faith on. Because if he's not who he says he is, our whole faith is in vain.

SoyLeche

meh...
Just to throw this into the conversation -- I'm not sure I buy it myself -- but I have heard it said before that it is possible that Jesus was commanding Peter to deny him ("thou shalt" deny me thrice). I think this idea actually brings up more questions than it answers though.

SoyLeche

meh...
If you have access to James E. Talmage's "Jesus the Christ" -- there is a footnote at the end of one of the chapters that addresses the question you posed, not specifically about Peter, but about God's foreknowledge in general. Sorry I can't be more specific about that one.

Also, check out C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity". He explains things in such a way that I can start to understand them. I don't agree with everything he says (mostly about the Trinity), but he offers some great insight. The chapter I'm thinking about specifically is the one about Time.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kathryn said:
If I leave a big juicy steak sitting on my kitchen counter and walk out of the room, leaving my two Collies in the kitchen alone, and then return 15 minutes later, the steak will be gone. I can guarantee this, and I'm not God.
Kathryn said:
God didn't force Peter to do anything. Peter chose to do what he did. God just knew Him well enough to be able to predict -- with 100% accuracy -- how he would react to a given set of circumstances.
Well, yes, but they're dogs and therefore incapable of making a decision based upon the knowledge that it wouldn't be nice to eat their owners' dinner. I think Peter could have resisted the temptation. It wasn't as if he was forced into anything. He just had a weakness and Jesus knew it. Jesus actually did nothing but call this weakness to Peter's attention. If you stop to think about it, that was actually giving Peter an advantage. Knowing beforehand that he was going to be tempted could have given him the additional self-discipline to stand up for Jesus. But he chose, instead, to give in to temptation. If you say that he was tempted beyond his ability to resist, you'd have to acknowledge that to be the case whenever any of us sins. That would be a kind of a devil-made-me-do-it response to weakness in character, in my opinion.
Very good point Kathryn - very much as I see it.;)

A

angellous_evangellous

Aqualung said:
Sorry! I meant matthew, not mark. :eek:

"Before the cock crows, thou shalt deny me thrice."

How could Jesus have known this, granted that:
A) He gave us free will, and therefore Peter could have chosen not to deny.
B) God will not tempt us past our ability to withstand.
Your choices exclude the possibility that the author of Matthew's Gospel wrote from hindsight. The events had already occured, and the author could have put the words into the mouth of Jesus.

A

angellous_evangellous

Aqualung said:
But doesn't the knowledge of it preclude free will? Does Him knowing what choice I'll make rule out me having free will to change my mind?
I have been working on this one with No*s for several years. Basically, I think that God knows all that there is to know. Therefore, he knows the possibility of every outcome for every situation - the end result of every choice and how it could possibly affect every thing else in the world as our choices affect others. From this perspective, God can see the future by knowing the outcome of every possible choice, but the actual choice is unknowable before it occurs.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
angellous_evangellous said:
I have been working on this one with No*s for several years. Basically, I think that God knows all that there is to know. Therefore, he knows the possibility of every outcome for every situation - the end result of every choice and how it could possibly affect every thing else in the world as our choices affect others. From this perspective, God can see the future by knowing the outcome of every possible choice, but the actual choice is unknowable before it occurs.
But given that God is eternal and outside of time, there really is no such thing as 'before it occurs' from His point of view. Someone suggesting then, that God's knowing the actions we will make means we have no free will is rather like me saying that because I know Hitler shot himself I caused him to do so.

James

Aqualung

Tasty
Dentonz said:
If you do, please enlighten me.
I don't have that perfected knowledge. God does. Therefore, when he does thing that seem miraculous, he is really just operating under those same laws that you and I operate under. But with a better understanding of those laws, he can do a lot cooler stuff.

Dentonz said:
All I am trying to say through all of this is, I believe that God does not exist physically in our world, dimension, whatever.
And all I'm trying to say is I believe he does.

Dentonz said:
If he is controlled by something, he is not all-powerfull.
I think people tend to misunderstand what "all-powerful" means. I see it more as meaning "being able to do everything that it is possible to do," and not "being able to do the impossible." It's not possible (in my beliefs) for God to step outside of the laws of nature.

Aqualung

Tasty
angellous_evangellous said:
That's pretty much exactly what I believe.

SoyLeche

meh...
Aqualung said:
But doesn't the knowledge of it preclude free will? Does Him knowing what choice I'll make rule out me having free will to change my mind?
Aqua -- I know you will make at least one more post today on this forum. Does that mean that I am causing you to do it? ;)

Aqualung

Tasty
SoyLeche said:
Aqua -- I know you will make at least one more post today on this forum. Does that mean that I am causing you to do it? ;)
No. My addiction is forcing me to make another post! :D

A

angellous_evangellous

JamesThePersian said:
But given that God is eternal and outside of time, there really is no such thing as 'before it occurs' from His point of view. Someone suggesting then, that God's knowing the actions we will make means we have no free will is rather like me saying that because I know Hitler shot himself I caused him to do so.

James
I agree without doubt that God exists outside of time and nature, but He interacts with nature in a very special way. My reasoning has a critical metaphor. Being all-powerful, God can do all things that are possible to do. However, it is widely accepted by theologians that God cannot make a square circle, or a triangle with four sides. God cannot make a God more powerful than Himself. In order for us to have freewill, which is something that the fathers asserted, God cannot know the outcome of a choice before it is made.