• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Lost Books

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
What do you guys think about this. "The so-called lost books of the Bible are those documents that are mentioned in the Bible in such a way that it is evident they are considered authentic and valuable, but that are not found in the Bible today. Sometimes called missing scripture, they consist of at least the following: book of the Wars of the Lord (Num. 21: 14); book of Jasher (Josh. 10: 13; 2 Sam. 1: 18); book of the acts of Solomon (1 Kgs. 11: 41); book of Samuel the seer (1 Chr. 29: 29); book of Gad the seer (1 Chr. 29: 29); book of Nathan the prophet (1 Chr. 29: 29; 2 Chr. 9: 29); prophecy of Ahijah (2 Chr. 9: 29); visions of Iddo the seer (2 Chr. 9: 29; 2 Chr. 12: 15; 2 Chr. 13: 22); book of Shemaiah (2 Chr. 12: 15); book of Jehu (2 Chr. 20: 34); sayings of the seers (2 Chr. 33: 19); an epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, earlier than our present 1 Corinthians (1 Cor. 5: 9); possibly an earlier epistle to the Ephesians (Eph. 3: 3); an epistle to the Church at Laodicea (Col. 4: 16); and some prophecies of Enoch, known to Jude (Jude 1: 14). To these rather clear references to inspired writings other than our current Bible may be added another list that has allusions to writings that may or may not be contained within our present text, but may perhaps be known by a different title; for example, the book of the covenant (Ex. 24: 7), which may or may not be included in the current book of Exodus; the manner of the kingdom, written by Samuel (1 Sam. 10: 25); the rest of the acts of Uzziah written by Isaiah (2 Chr. 26: 22)"(http://scriptures.lds.org/bdl/lstbks). Some people try to disprove the Book of Mormon by saying that the Bible is the only scripture there ever was or ever will be, yet there are all of these references to other scripture that's not in the Bible. Don't get me wrong, because I love the Bible, but other revelation and scripture is awesome too. Can't wait for your thoughts.

Reactions: FFH

PHOTOTAKER

there is much that are missing that why Jesus talked about the resteration of the gosple before he died, he knew that allot would be lost...

One of the more important criterion for a book to be considered apocrypha was of course verifiable authorship; the main reason most books were left out of the New Testament was that the Council of Nicene was doubtful of their authorship and authenticity of available documents. Furthermore, is it not probable that such books were mentioned because they were widespread and most literate people in the region would understand what was being referred to? Histories composed by uninspired authors existed back then as well, no?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jeremiah61 said:
One of the more important criterion for a book to be considered apocrypha was of course verifiable authorship; the main reason most books were left out of the New Testament was that the Council of Nicene was doubtful of their authorship and authenticity of available documents. Furthermore, is it not probable that such books were mentioned because they were widespread and most literate people in the region would understand what was being referred to? Histories composed by uninspired authors existed back then as well, no?
Jeremiah,

First off, the Council of Nicea was not called to decide upon the Christian canon, but to settle matters pertaining to the nature of God.

Secondly, have you any proof whatsoever to substantiate what you are saying? Unless I am mistaken, most of these books were lost long before the canon was ever finalized.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Jeremiah61 said:
These lost books were used by the prophets, apostles, and saints in the Old and New Testements. If the books were good enough to be used by them, I know their good enough for me to use. But I know there a lot that are just gone. It makes me angry.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I hate to cause a fuss (ok, i admit, i love causing fusses) but I believe that if God wanted certain books to be in the Bible, He would have made sure that they got put there. I believe that if a book is not part of the Bible, it was never meant to be part of the Bible.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Christiangirl0909 said:
I hate to cause a fuss (ok, i admit, i love causing fusses) but I believe that if God wanted certain books to be in the Bible, He would have made sure that they got put there. I believe that if a book is not part of the Bible, it was never meant to be part of the Bible.

Not necessarily. :) God gave everyone their agency and to do what they wanted. God probably knew that MANY of the books in the Bible, but God does not force Himself or His word on ANYONE. Men do that, and make take away from His word. He could have, but He didn't because of agency.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christiangirl0909 said:
Once again, which Bible are you referring to? The Catholic Bible has been around far longer than the KJV or the NIV or any of the other Bibles the various Protestant groups use. Did God make sure the Apocrypha got included when the Christian canon was finally agreed upon? And did He change His mind and make sure it got removed when the KJV came along? This perspective, quite frankly strikes me as more than a little bit naive. If that's really what you believe, okay... I just hope you're prepared to answer the questions that point of view raises.

BruceDLimber

Katzpur said:
Once again, which Bible are you referring to? The Catholic Bible has been around far longer than the KJV or the NIV or any of the other Bibles the various Protestant groups use. Did God make sure the Apocrypha got included when the Christian canon was finally agreed upon? And did He change His mind and make sure it got removed when the KJV came along? This perspective, quite frankly strikes me as more than a little bit naive. If that's really what you believe, okay... I just hope you're prepared to answer the questions that point of view raises.

And this question is the more interesting because the Jewish scriptures typically DO NOT include the Apocrypha!

Regards,

Bruce