• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: It Is Presumptuous To Presume...

jtartar

I may have done this before, but I thought it was time to address it again. I used to post at various Christian forums, and there were always several Christians on them who would always presume that someone "wasn't a true Christian" if someone did not agree with them on certain points (including The Trinity, OSAS (once saved, always saved), and a lot more).
I would attempt to tell them that we could live with the differences in our faith, as long as we followed Jesus and His commands, just to be told that I wasn't a true Christian, either.

That kind of stuff made me really angry. I stopped posting at all these forums and the only religious forum I still post at is this one.

Don't you agree that it is presumptuous to tell a person that they are not a "true Christian" if you don't agree with all the same tenets? Have you had this happen to you? How do you address with those who say such things?

Christine,
Please don't take this personally, but by your comments I perceive that you are just like the Samaritan woman that Jesus spoke to at the well, John 4:22. Jesus said she worshiped a God she did not know.
Please allow me to reason with you a little, from the Holy Scriptures.
God is not a God of CONFUSION, 1Cor 14:33.
Consider 1Cor 1:10, where we are told that we should speak the same thing, that there should not be divisions among us, that we should speak the truth so much that we should have the same mind and the same judgement. Now think, ONLY if we speak TRUTH can we all speak the same. There is only one truth all other paths are false.
1Pet 3:15, says that we should always be ready to give the reason for the hope within us when asked about it. Could all Christians do that if they did not all speak with one mouth.
Jesus said that God is looking for ones who worship Him is truth, John 4:23,24
Notice what the Apostle Paul told Timothy at 1Tim 6:20. He said for Timothy to guard what is laid up to him, to keep away from CONTRADICTIONS of the falsely called knowledge.
Consider what Peter said about speaking truth, 2Pet 3:16,16, Peter said that some things that Paul taught were hard to understand, and some UNTAUGHT and UNSTEADY were twisting, TO THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION.
Paul said that some people were even Zealous for God, but not according to accurrate knowledge, Rom 10:2. These people try to establish their own righteousness instead of God's truth, Rom 10:3.
The scriptures warn everyone about stumbling others, Matt 18:6,7. A very good reason for not stumbling anyone is the fact, these you may stumble are the very ones that Jesus died for, 1Cor 8:11, Rom 14:15.
We all want to make certain that we speak truth about the scriptures because it can mean, both our lives and the lives of those whom we teach, 1Tim 4:16.
James 3:1 says that we should be careful in our teaching.
The truth of the scriptures is very important, Rom 10:13-15, John 17:3.
Remember, not all who CLAIM to be Christians are really Christian, Matt 7:21-23, Titus 1:16. Jesus said that all would know his disciples by the LOVE they would show, John 13:34,35.
Consider 2Tim 4:2-4, and see if you believe this is happening NOW.

that indeed jesus was given by god the father
all judgment of humanity

that jesus is unique too
in that which he suffered for our sakes
he was able to offer salvation to all
in a way above and beyond any other...

but a false tenet of many christians
that hell is eternal suffering for the wicked
the greek of the new testament does not say that

reincarnation tho not emphasized in the bible
is there
and such arguments as
it is appointed once to die..
is not an argument against reincarnation
nor is it an argument that jesus did not have other incarnations...
such as in hebrews
thinking it says he came only one time
when the greek word translated once usually
can too mean one final last time
in terms of being born of woman
the final time was tho without sin
but he was incarnated an earlier time when all his sins were removed...
Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zec 3:5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
Zec 3:6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
Zec 3:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Christine,
Please don't take this personally, but by your comments I perceive that you are just like the Samaritan woman that Jesus spoke to at the well, John 4:22. Jesus said she worshiped a God she did not know.
Please allow me to reason with you a little, from the Holy Scriptures.
God is not a God of CONFUSION, 1Cor 14:33.
Consider 1Cor 1:10, where we are told that we should speak the same thing, that there should not be divisions among us, that we should speak the truth so much that we should have the same mind and the same judgement. Now think, ONLY if we speak TRUTH can we all speak the same. There is only one truth all other paths are false.
1Pet 3:15, says that we should always be ready to give the reason for the hope within us when asked about it. Could all Christians do that if they did not all speak with one mouth.
Jesus said that God is looking for ones who worship Him is truth, John 4:23,24
Notice what the Apostle Paul told Timothy at 1Tim 6:20. He said for Timothy to guard what is laid up to him, to keep away from CONTRADICTIONS of the falsely called knowledge.
Consider what Peter said about speaking truth, 2Pet 3:16,16, Peter said that some things that Paul taught were hard to understand, and some UNTAUGHT and UNSTEADY were twisting, TO THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION.
Paul said that some people were even Zealous for God, but not according to accurrate knowledge, Rom 10:2. These people try to establish their own righteousness instead of God's truth, Rom 10:3.
The scriptures warn everyone about stumbling others, Matt 18:6,7. A very good reason for not stumbling anyone is the fact, these you may stumble are the very ones that Jesus died for, 1Cor 8:11, Rom 14:15.
We all want to make certain that we speak truth about the scriptures because it can mean, both our lives and the lives of those whom we teach, 1Tim 4:16.
James 3:1 says that we should be careful in our teaching.
The truth of the scriptures is very important, Rom 10:13-15, John 17:3.
Remember, not all who CLAIM to be Christians are really Christian, Matt 7:21-23, Titus 1:16. Jesus said that all would know his disciples by the LOVE they would show, John 13:34,35.
Consider 2Tim 4:2-4, and see if you believe this is happening NOW.

I suppose I can understand why you would feel this way, but I don't see myself as the Samaritan woman. I feel right at home at Church services and I feel right at home with the Bible when I am alone. I have read the entire Bible numerous times.
I am not the type of Christian who quotes from Paul's epistles constantly to make my point, but that isn't a reason to believe that I am any less a Christian than someone who does.
Jesus made His commandments so easy that a child could follow them (these are paraphrased): Love God with you whole heart, mind, and strength (or might), Love your neighbor as yourself, Love and pray for your enemies, show mercy and you will be shown mercy, do not judge or you will be judged in the same way and manner, feed the hungry and clothe the naked, and I could go on and on. People who follow or at least try to follow these commands, in my view, are doing their best to follow Jesus. And I am not going to judge them because they may do something else that is not mentioned. Only God can judge people. He is the only one who is good enough.
God bless and thank you for posting in my thread. :)