• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is Sola Scriptura Biblical?

Truth in love

Depends on whom you ask. The "Prophetic Age" ended roughly around 300 b.c.e. according to Judaism, but in the case of Christianity, Jesus is referred to as also being a prophet. Many Christians do not accept any of the alleged prophets after 300 with the exception of Jesus and John the Baptist.

IMO, it's a moot point as I do not believe the HS stopped then nor now.
Prophets are a part of the guidance of the Church. So the idea of a closed cannon is not biblical.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Prophets are a part of the guidance of the Church. So the idea of a closed cannon is not biblical.
But there's no prophets stated in the Tanakh after about 300 b.c.e.

However, as I previously posted, I do tend to believe that "God's Spirit" [the Holy Spirit] was active all throughout that entire period and probably a LOT more.

Truth in love

But there's no prophets stated in the Tanakh after about 300 b.c.e.

However, as I previously posted, I do tend to believe that "God's Spirit" [the Holy Spirit] was active all throughout that entire period and probably a LOT more.

They are back.

Truth in love

I think that's likely, and I believe someone like Gandhi was one of them.

I have the deepest respect for Ghandi I think he was used by God to do many great things. I my study a prophet must testify of Christ. A factor I find missing from his teachings. That siad he is on my list of hero's (also MLK, the original Martin Luther, Rodgers Williams etc).

metis

I have the deepest respect for Ghandi I think he was used by God to do many great things. I my study a prophet must testify of Christ.
That doesn't make any sense to me. For example, did God virtually ignore all the people born before Jesus' time and left them nothing about Him to believe in? How about those who never heard of Jesus because they live or lived elsewhere?

A factor I find missing from his teachings.
Then you don't understand Gandhi or what he actually taught:
Although a Hindu, Gandhi had a very close connection with Christianity and admired Jesus very much, often quoting from his favorite ‘Sermon on the Mount’ (Mathew 5, 6 &7). When the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Gandhi he asked him, “Mr. Gandhi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?”

Gandhi replied, “Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ. If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today.”

Gandhi’s closeness with Christianity began when he was a young man practicing law in South Africa. Apart from being attached with the Christian faith, he intently studied the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and was also seriously exploring becoming a Christian, which led him to his discovery of a small church gathering in his locality. These strongly entrenched Biblical teachings have always acted a panacea to many of India’s problems during its freedom struggle...
-- Mahatma Gandhi and Christianity - The Shillong Times

Dogknox20

I do think we need to live by every word that comes from God.
Truth in love Hello I hope all is well..
The words of God... 5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!

The words of Jesus.... 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Truth in love..... Listen to him

Dogknox20

Wow the traditions of men. I believe in the word as faith come by hearing.
Let's see. Just like in Jesus day. The traditions of men were by the early 300s was to kill all those that didn't believe the churches line and don't try to understand it or read it or translate it came we will brand you a heretic and kill you. Then add to the traditu I ns of men to burn the library at Alexandria add 300 or so non scriptural dogmas that I can and will only stand with sola scriptora .

Also the power of the gospel comes from what the Bible says. Not what the blind leading the blind tell you.
TreeOfLife I hope all is well...
Jesus will never leave us or abandon us....
He started with his holy Catholic Church he is still with his Church to this very day!

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

TreeOfLife Jesus gave all of God' authority to his Church to make disciples! and to TEACH all the world!
I am with you always, to the very end of the age

TreeOfLife Always means.... Jesus is still with his Church to this very day; a Church that he established on ROCK not on sand!

The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

TreeOfLife To say Jesus failed to establish his church is to call Jesus a
fool!

Truth in love

Truth in love Hello I hope all is well..
The words of God... 5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!

The words of Jesus.... 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Truth in love..... Listen to him

Peter was not the rock. In the preceding verse Christ speak of revelation. "This" is not an accurate pronoun for a person.

metis

Peter was not the rock. In the preceding verse Christ speak of revelation. "This" is not an accurate pronoun for a person.
"Kephas" in Aramaic means rock or stone, plus it should be clear that Jesus is using a play-on-words since he had changed Simon's name to that prior to saying that.

Truth in love

"Kephas" in Aramaic means rock or stone, plus it should be clear that Jesus is using a play-on-words since he had changed Simon's name to that prior to saying that.

There is a great play on words here yes, but reading the verses on context its clear that revelation is the rock (and Peter was to be a major conduit for it )

metis

There is a great play on words here yes, but reading the verses on context its clear that revelation is the rock (and Peter was to be a major conduit for it )
Jesus is the "Cornerstone", which is more important than the "rock".

Dogknox20

I hope all is well...

Scriptures cannot lie!..
Fact... Jesus built his Church on ROCK!
Fact... Jesus is NOT a fool!
Matt 7:24Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

Matt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

Truth in love Question .. Are you saying the Church Jesus established failed?! Are you saying Jesus is a Fool?!

Jesus started his Church; he remains with his church to this very day!
Truth in love To the very end of the world!
Jesus is still with his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church because that is the Church he established 2000 years ago.. On ROCK!

Matt 28:20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
Truth in love To believe the Church failed is to reject the words of God as lies! It is to believe Jesus is a Fool!

Jesus established a Church with all of God' authority to TEACH ALL Nations!
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Dogknox20

I add to post #175 (above)
John 1:42
And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

Truth in love which, when translated, is Peter... Peter means ROCK! Cephas means ROCK!

1 Corinthians 1:12

What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Truth in love.. Paul the Apostle are address the Chief Apostle as "ROCK"!
1 Corinthians 15:5
and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.

Galatians 2:11
When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.

Truth in love

I hope all is well...

Scriptures cannot lie!..
Fact... Jesus built his Church on ROCK!
Fact... Jesus is NOT a fool!
Matt 7:24Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

Matt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

Truth in love Question .. Are you saying the Church Jesus established failed?! Are you saying Jesus is a Fool?!

Jesus started his Church; he remains with his church to this very day!
Truth in love To the very end of the world!
Jesus is still with his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church because that is the Church he established 2000 years ago.. On ROCK!

Matt 28:20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
Truth in love To believe the Church failed is to reject the words of God as lies! It is to believe Jesus is a Fool!

Jesus established a Church with all of God' authority to TEACH ALL Nations!

That the church organization ceased? Yes. I would never degrade the Lord by calling Him a fool or anything like that.

Do you believe we are in the last days/ end times?

Do you believe that Danial saw the Lord set up a kingdom in those times?

Do you believe in the falling away and restitution of ALL things taught in the Bible?

Truth in love

I add to post #175 (above)
John 1:42
And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

Truth in love which, when translated, is Peter... Peter means ROCK! Cephas means ROCK!

1 Corinthians 1:12

What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Truth in love.. Paul the Apostle are address the Chief Apostle as "ROCK"!
1 Corinthians 15:5
and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.

Galatians 2:11
When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.

Matthew 16
15 He saith unto them, But whom say aye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The Rock is revelation. Pretty clear cut.

Dogknox20

That the church organization ceased? Yes. I would never degrade the Lord by calling Him a fool or anything like that.

Do you believe we are in the last days/ end times?

Do you believe that Danial saw the Lord set up a kingdom in those times?

Do you believe in the falling away and restitution of ALL things taught in the Bible?

Truth in love The Church Jesus established ON ROCK will never fail, it cannot fail!! For you to believe Jesus failed is to call Jesus a fool! Jesus is ALWAYS WITH HIS CHURCH TO THE END OF THE WORLD! Just as he tells you in Matt 28! There are over 1.2 Billion Catholics that tell you>>>> "You are Wrong!"
Daniel 7:18 But the holy people of the Most High will receive the kingdom and will possess it forever—yes, for ever and ever.
FOREVER means the Church Jesus established is HOLY!

For you to say different is to say Jesus lied! Jesus loves his Church he died for His Holy Catholic Church!
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,

Truth in love... .................................Jesus loves his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church... He died for his Church!

The CHURCH Jesus established on ROCK.. Eats the flesh of Jesus in the form of bread.. Always have eaten the flesh of Jesus in the form of bread; always have drank of blood of Jesus in the form of wine and always will!
1 Cor 11:27
So, then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sin against the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Let a person examine himself; in this way let him eat the bread and drink from the cup.
29 For whoever eats and drinks without recognizing the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself

Truth in love you cannot sin against a symbol!
The Bread and Wine IS the body of Jesus! Paul tells you it is!
FACT IS....The word Communion comes from the root word of Communication ... To be in communication with a SYMBOL is IDOLTRY! The Flesh Of Jesus is real FOOD!

THINK: The people is Jesus' day could not believe a Man could be God!
The People today cannot believe The Bread and Wine could be God!
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

Truth in love Christians are NOT Jews... Paul is a Christian! The Apostles are Christians, all except Judas! Paul recognizing the body,!
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.

Dogknox20

Matthew 16
15 He saith unto them, But whom say aye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The Rock is revelation. Pretty clear cut.
Truth in love I hope all is well.... Peter is the ROCK... Jesus changed the name of Simon to "ROCK"!
Truth in love Jesus is addressing Peter and Peter ALONE... And I say also unto thee.. That thou art "ROCK"! The Rock is revelation. Pretty clear cut.

And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter). (which, when translated, is ROCK).

Truth in love Jesus established his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church on ROCK! This means it will never ever fail! Jesus established his CHURCH ON ROCK... Not on Sand!
Apostolic because it has linage all the way back to the Apostles!
Jesus/God is ALWAYS WITH his Church to the very end of time/world!

20 Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. “And remember that I am always with you until the end of time.

Truth in love For you to say differently is to reject the words of God as lies!
You have been caught up in the net of the evil one.. He encourages the teaching of: Jesus failed.. He encourages the teaching that the church Jesus formed did fail and that man MUST come to his rescue to RE-Form what Jesus lost!
Truth in love The anti-Christ is anti-Christian, he wants man to Restore the Church of Jesus Christ a Church the Jesus established on ROCK! He wants you to reject the words of God as lies!

Ignatius of Antioch A.D. 110
Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop or by one whom he ordains [i.e., a presbyter]. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church” (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 110]).

Truth in love just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church” A.D. 110