• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is Sola Scriptura Biblical?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Tradition tends to be the ideas and teachings which have no basis in the bible...such as 'mary was a perpetual virgin' or 'God is a trinity' or 'hell is a real place' etc etc
So, Paul was wrong when he said to follow the traditions that they have left?

1Cor.11[2] I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.

2Thes.2[15] So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

2Thes.3[6] Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

syo

Christians:

Is Sola Scriptura biblical?

Or is it a tradition?
Sola Scriptura is biblical, since the Bible is a book. Whole christianity is by the book. Without the book, there is no christianity. Tradition works as a camouflage.

Dogknox20

It is biblical. Tradition tends to be the ideas and teachings which have no basis in the bible...such as 'mary was a perpetual virgin' or 'God is a trinity' or 'hell is a real place' etc etc

“ALL Scripture is inspired of God.” The words at 2 Timothy 3:16 identify God, whose name is Jehovah, as the Author and Inspirer of the Holy Scriptures.

Romans 15:4 For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction,+ so that through our endurance+ and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope
Bree Question.. Where does the bible say "The Bible is the sole source of doctrine!"?
"Scriptures ALONE" is a man made TRADITION! The idea of Scriptures are all man needs first appeared 1700 years after Jesus!

Scriptures are very clear.. "Listen to the Church"! ... "He who hears you hears me"! ... "He who rejects Church rejects God"!
Acts 17:11 Paul was TEACHING "Christ Resurrected" they NEEDED a TEACHER they NEEDED the CHURCH to find truth! The Bereans do NOT have "Christ Resurrected" in their Old Testament scriptures!
Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
The Bereans were More Noble then those in Thessalonica because they rejected Scriptures ALONE! Those in Thessalonica are less noble because they rejected Church for Scriptures ALONE!

Bree YES ALL Scripture is inspired of God. but it is NOT ALONE the CHURCH uses the scriptures to TEACH! The Scriptures are USEFUL!
Scriptures is NOT ALONE the CHURCH uses the scriptures to TRAIN! The Scriptures are USEFUL!
Scriptures is NOT ALONE the CHURCH uses the scriptures to CORRECT! The Scriptures are USEFUL!
Scriptures is NOT ALONE the CHURCH uses the scriptures to REBUK! The Scriptures are USEFUL!
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Bree You trust the errors taught by your church (Scriptures ALONE) over truth found in the scriptures! Hypocrites say one thing then do another!
The Bereans were More Noble then those in Thessalonica because they rejected Scriptures ALONE!
Those in Thessalonica are less noble because they rejected Church for Scriptures ALONE! BUT....

Bree but the Thessalonians will have an excuse when they stand in judgement there Old Testament scriptures did not have written "Listen to the Church" as you do!
“When you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God” (1 Thess. 2:13).
Keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us (2 Thess. 3:6).

Dogknox20

Sola Scriptura is biblical, since the Bible is a book. Whole christianity is by the book. Without the book, there is no christianity. Tradition works as a camouflage.
syo you are WRONG.. There was NO bible for the first 400 years "Church TAUGHT Salvation!"
For the first 1700 years there were very few bibles... Bibles were very expensive works of art! Only the very rich could own a bible!
The CHURCH brought Jesus and salvation to the world... MOST people could not read.. Church PREACHED Jesus!

syo Church used the Bible it was USEFUL but it is NOT alone used, the bible was made by the CHURCH.. The Church came before the bible! The Bible was put together by the CHURCH and by TRADITION!

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Dogknox20

It is biblical. Tradition tends to be the ideas and teachings which have no basis in the bible...such as 'mary was a perpetual virgin' or 'God is a trinity' or 'hell is a real place' etc etc

“ALL Scripture is inspired of God.” The words at 2 Timothy 3:16 identify God, whose name is Jehovah, as the Author and Inspirer of the Holy Scriptures.

Romans 15:4 For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction,+ so that through our endurance+ and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope

Bree Jesus left a Church behind on earth! Jesus gave his Church AUTHORITY to teach all nations!

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

The CHURCH Jesus established has the AUTHORITY to speak for God! Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his Church this means Jesus cannot be with your church yours was not established by Jesus but by a man! Rejecting the Church is rejecting God!
Bree The Church Charles Taze Russell started was NOT the Church Jesus is ALWAYS WITH! Charles Taze Russell rejected the ONLY Church Jesus established Russell refused to listen to Jesus!
Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.

Hawkins

Christians:

Is Sola Scriptura biblical?

Or is it a tradition?

It means you need to focus on how to get information from the Bible instead of any traditions. You get daily information from TV channels and subsequently from eyewitnesses. That's the way how a truth conveys to human individuals. So to a certain extent, Sola Scriptura means media alone as a source of news instead of rumors by word of mouth.

Dogknox20

It means you need to focus on how to get information from the Bible instead of any traditions. You get daily information from TV channels and subsequently from eyewitnesses. That's the way how a truth conveys to human individuals. So to a certain extent, Sola Scriptura means media alone as a source of news instead of rumors by word of mouth.

Hawkins Sola Scriptura is a Man Made Tradition!
The idea of Sola Scriptura (scriptures are all man needs) first appeared 1700 years AFTER Jesus, it is NOT biblical!
Jesus left behind his Church he established it on ROCK, not on sand! This means the Church will never fail! It means all the man made churches think Jesus is a FOOL!

Matthew 7:25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

Hawkins Jesus built his Church On ROCK.. NOT Sand!! Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his Church to the very end of time! This means; all the man made churches teach Jesus abandoned his Church!

Matthew 28:20 Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. “And remember that I am always with you until the end of time.”

Dogknox20

Hawkins the teaching of Sola Scriptura is a Man Made Tradition! It was unheard of until Martin Luther made it up! It is NOT found in the scriptures!

Scriptures say
"Listen to the Church"!
"The Church is the Pillar and the foundation of truth"!
Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to his CHURCH to remain with her FOREVER!"
"The Holy Spirit is guiding the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church into all truth"!
"Jesus died for his Church, He loves His Church, His Church is Blameless & Holy"!
"Jesus established his CHURCH on Rock NOT sand"!
"The CHURCH was commissioned by Jesus to make Disciples" AND to "Teach all Nations"!
"Jesus is ALWAYS with His One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church to the end of Time"!

The Tradition of Sola Scriptura forces each person to become a Scripture Scholar and expert in hermeneutics! If the Protestant accepts the teaching of their pastor then "Scriptures are then NOT alone" It then becomes scriptures PLUS the Preacher! It forces each person to discover their own salvation on how they see salvation! FACT....

Hawkins fact is Sola Scriptura is the root cause of the thousands and thousands of protestant denominations found today.. Thousands all claim to have the ONLY truth but not even two of these thousands believe the same things! It is the cause of all the Chaos in the Protestant churches dividing and fragmenting; Satan clearly has had his hands in the formation of this teaching!

Dogknox20

It not written in the Bible so it’s kind of a self defeating cycle l
Truth in love ..I hope all is well....
Sola Scriptura is a man made Tradition.. Until Martin Luther the idea of Sola Scriptura was unheard of! Martin Luther made it up!

Jesus established a Church with his AUTHORITY to teach all nations!
Fact is until the Church Made the Bible it was the Church and Tradition that taught the peoples!
Another Fact; there were NO bible of any great number until the Printing press in the 1700s BIBLES.....

Truth in love
bibles were very costly works of art, only the very rich could own a bible! It was the Church that brought Jesus and salvation to the world! Besides most people could not read; the peoples had to be taught and preached. The Church used her bibles to teach the people the bibles were useful they were NOT alone used!

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

There is NO scriptures that say Bibles alone are the rule of faith!

Truth in love

Truth in love ..I hope all is well....
Sola Scriptura is a man made Tradition.. Until Martin Luther the idea of Sola Scriptura was unheard of! Martin Luther made it up!

Jesus established a Church with his AUTHORITY to teach all nations!
Fact is until the Church Made the Bible it was the Church and Tradition that taught the peoples!
Another Fact; there were NO bible of any great number until the Printing press in the 1700s BIBLES.....

Truth in love
bibles were very costly works of art, only the very rich could own a bible! It was the Church that brought Jesus and salvation to the world! Besides most people could not read; the peoples had to be taught and preached. The Church used her bibles to teach the people the bibles were useful they were NOT alone used!

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

There is NO scriptures that say Bibles alone are the rule of faith!
I do think we need to live by every word that comes from God.

metis

I do think we need to live by every word that comes from God.
But where do the words come from to guide us? Remember, it can't be just the NT because the Church was created prior to the NT scriptures.

If you think about, you should know that answer.

Truth in love

But where do the words come from to guide us? Remember, it can't be just the NT because the Church was created prior to the NT scriptures.

If you think about, you should know that answer.
The word of God is given via His messengers. This includes prophets and apostles. Then and now. Old world and New world.

metis

The word of God is given via His messengers. This includes prophets and apostles. Then and now. Old world and New world.
The prophets were in OT times, and so what was to guide Jesus' followers until the NT was eventually written and the canon eventually chosen?

The answer should be obvious, and I think you know the answer but haven't connected the right dots yet.

I'm outta here until Monday, so take care.

Truth in love

The prophets were in OT times, and so what was to guide Jesus' followers until the NT was eventually written and the canon eventually chosen?

The answer should be obvious, and I think you know the answer but haven't connected the right dots yet.

I'm outta here until Monday, so take care.
I wish you well.

On the subject of prophets if they were to cease I would suspect the Bible would have said so.

Amos 3:7 strongly suggests that they are an on going thing.

Matt 7:15 is a warning about false prophets. A very odd warning if the last real prophet was long dead and none would again be called. “There will never be another prophet” would seem a more effective statement.

Acts 11: 27-28 and 13:1 we have prophets after the death of the Savior.

If the system of God communicating with His children was to undergo such a massive change one would think that it would have been written down at least once in the Bible.

TreeOfLife

Wow the traditions of men. I believe in the word as faith come by hearing.
Let's see. Just like in Jesus day. The traditions of men were by the early 300s was to kill all those that didn't believe the churches line and don't try to understand it or read it or translate it came we will brand you a heretic and kill you. Then add to the traditu I ns of men to burn the library at Alexandria add 300 or so non scriptural dogmas that I can and will only stand with sola scriptora .

Also the power of the gospel comes from what the Bible says. Not what the blind leading the blind tell you.

TreeOfLife

Also. I have not found but researched much any denomination that has not added the traditions of man (and always the ones in power) to the gospel. You see with the tree of good and evil you can't get absolute truth. It has been that way since we before we left the garden.
Jesus gave man's dominion back but very few have accepted it.

metis

I wish you well.

On the subject of prophets if they were to cease I would suspect the Bible would have said so.

Amos 3:7 strongly suggests that they are an on going thing.

Matt 7:15 is a warning about false prophets. A very odd warning if the last real prophet was long dead and none would again be called. “There will never be another prophet” would seem a more effective statement.

Acts 11: 27-28 and 13:1 we have prophets after the death of the Savior.

If the system of God communicating with His children was to undergo such a massive change one would think that it would have been written down at least once in the Bible.

Think "Holy Spirit", as that was the earliest guide for the Church and was instrumental in the inspiring and selecting of the Christian and Jewish canon. IMO, "God's Spirit" as found in the Tanakh is likely the "Holy Spirit" as found in the Gospel.

Truth in love

Think "Holy Spirit", as that was the earliest guide for the Church and was instrumental in the inspiring and selecting of the Christian and Jewish canon. IMO, "God's Spirit" as found in the Tanakh is likely the "Holy Spirit" as found in the Gospel.

So the Holy Spirit guided the selection of the Bible, but prophets came to an abrupt and undocumented end?

metis

So the Holy Spirit guided the selection of the Bible, but prophets came to an abrupt and undocumented end?
Depends on whom you ask. The "Prophetic Age" ended roughly around 300 b.c.e. according to Judaism, but in the case of Christianity, Jesus is referred to as also being a prophet. Many Christians do not accept any of the alleged prophets after 300 with the exception of Jesus and John the Baptist.

IMO, it's a moot point as I do not believe the HS stopped then nor now.