• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is Sola Scriptura Biblical?

Dogknox20

I've cited many of his teachers which you have dismissed. Do you honestly think that reposting the same out of context statement is going to change my mind?

Logic alone tells you.. You must be wrong!

Truth in love There were NO bibles of any great number before the Printing Press and even then most people could not read! It was the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church Jesus established 1700 years before the printing press that TAUGHT the Peoples about Jesus and salvation! NONE OTHER!

Jesus tells you in John 6 "My flesh is real food"! IN....

Truth in love in 1054 the Orthodox Church broke away from the Catholic Church... To this day; they still eat the flesh of Jesus in the form of bread... JUST....

Truth in love
just as Jesus tells you in John 6! What are these "many of his teachers which I have dismissed."??? You are forced to REJECT the scriptures to reject the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church Jesus established on ROCK! You reject Jesus by rejecting his words!

Truth in love

You have NO authority to interpret the scriptures Correctly!
Jesus created a CHURCH he gave it his AUTHORITY to teach all nations!

The FACT there are over Thirty Five Thousand protestant churches today is because people think they have the AUTHORITY of the Church Jesus established 2000 years ago!
Over 35,000 churches all proclaiming they have the only truth but not even two believe the same things! All say they have their truth from the same book; The bible!

You reject the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church but you believe she put only the inspired words of God in her book.. The Bible! NO...

Truth in love
no other church is 2000 years old clearly NOT YOURS!
Jesus is ALWAYS with his CHURCJH to the end of time! He started with his Catholic Church so he must still be with his Catholic Church today! LOGIC ALONE....

Truth in love
logic alone tells you Jesus is NOT; he CANNOT be with your church or do you believe Jesus lied! Jesus did not build your church on rock!

A lot of assumptions there.
You are somewhat correct that I don’t have authority to determine what the scriptures mean. That authority is help by the living prophets and apostles.

As to the age of a church I don’t see a point to it. The Bible or said there would be a falling away and a restitution of all things.

Dogknox20

The FACT there are over Thirty Five Thousand protestant churches today is because people think they have the AUTHORITY of the Church Jesus established 2000 years ago!
Over 35,000 churches all proclaiming they have the only truth but not even two believe the same things! All say they have their truth from the same book; The bible!

You reject the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church but you believe she put only the inspired words of God in her book.. The Bible! NO...

Truth in love
Jesus is ALWAYS with his CHURCJH to the end of time! He started with his Catholic Church so he must still be with his Catholic Church today! LOGIC ALONE....

Truth in love
logic alone tells you Jesus is NOT; he CANNOT be with your church or do you believe Jesus lied! Jesus did not build your church on rock!

A lot of assumptions there.
You are somewhat correct that I don’t have authority to determine what the scriptures mean. That authority is help by the living prophets and apostles.

As to the age of a church I don’t see a point to it. The Bible or said there would be a falling away and a restitution of all things.

But the World Christian Encyclopedia’s method seems to be shared by other institutions. For example, the Center for Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, which is evangelical Protestant, estimates that there are currently 47,000 denominations. This survey relies upon the same methodology as the World Christian Encyclopedia, which it apparently deems credible. And, if you don’t consider Gordon-Conwell very authoritative, keep in mind that they are utilized as a primary source by the Pew Research Center, which pretty much is the gold standard for social science research in the United States.

Truth in love Jesus did not give you or your church any authority to teach a lick! Your church was started by a man that rejected the scriptures! To be Protestant (You are Protestant) you MUST reject the words of God!

Jesus established a CHURCH on ROCK not on sand! The ONLY Church Jesus is ALWAYS WITH TO THE EAND OF THE WORLD is the ONLY CHURCH he established on ROCK.. ALL...

Truth in love all other churches were started by a man (woman)

Truth in love

Truth in love

Truth in love

But the World Christian Encyclopedia’s method seems to be shared by other institutions. For example, the Center for Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, which is evangelical Protestant, estimates that there are currently 47,000 denominations. This survey relies upon the same methodology as the World Christian Encyclopedia, which it apparently deems credible. And, if you don’t consider Gordon-Conwell very authoritative, keep in mind that they are utilized as a primary source by the Pew Research Center, which pretty much is the gold standard for social science research in the United States.

Truth in love Jesus did not give you or your church any authority to teach a lick! Your church was started by a man that rejected the scriptures! To be Protestant (You are Protestant) you MUST reject the words of God!

Jesus established a CHURCH on ROCK not on sand! The ONLY Church Jesus is ALWAYS WITH TO THE EAND OF THE WORLD is the ONLY CHURCH he established on ROCK.. ALL...

Truth in love all other churches were started by a man (woman)

the Savior restored His church with His authority. You are correct that many churches lack any claim to authority, but as the Bible indicates the church was restored and with it the priesthood.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But not with the Church Christ created and promised would last until the end of times:
Matthew16[16] Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
[17] And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
[18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Truth in love

But not with the Church Christ created and promised would last until the end of times:
Matthew16[16] Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
[17] And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
[18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Actually yes that is what Paul was referring to. But hey maybe recite the same misconstrued out of context bit for the 41st time and reality will change???

Dogknox20

the Savior restored His church with His authority. You are correct that many churches lack any claim to authority, but as the Bible indicates the church was restored and with it the priesthood.

Truth in love Scripture please??? Where is the scripture...but as the Bible indicates the church was restored and with it the priesthood

Matthew 28:20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Truth in love God is ALWAYS with his Teaching Church! I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
God is always with his Church> To the end of TIME: this means you MUST reject the words of God as a LIE for you to say what you do!

God started with his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church so he MUST still be with her! If he is still with his Church then he CANNOT be with yours or any other man made church! ALL...
Truth in love
all man made churches MUST reject the words of God as lies to believe; they MUST come to God' rescue and restore what Jesus lost!

metis

Actually yes that is what Paul was referring to. But hey maybe recite the same misconstrued out of context bit for the 41st time and reality will change???
So, to you, which is the properly construed context, plus how do you know yours is correct?

While you are at it, answer these questions: Why would Jesus create his Church only to let it die an early death, and why would he send a Paraclete and then have that fail as well?

Truth in love

Truth in love Scripture please??? Where is the scripture...but as the Bible indicates the church was restored and with it the priesthood

Matthew 28:20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Truth in love God is ALWAYS with his Teaching Church! I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
God is always with his Church> To the end of TIME: this means you MUST reject the words of God as a LIE for you to say what you do!

God started with his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church so he MUST still be with her! If he is still with his Church then he CANNOT be with yours or any other man made church! ALL...
Truth in love
all man made churches MUST reject the words of God as lies to believe; they MUST come to God' rescue and restore what Jesus lost!

I've cited this before.

2 Thes 2:
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

(Clearly there is a post Christ falling away.)

Acts 3:
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Matthew 17:
10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?

11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

So in addition to a falling away there will also be a restitution of all things.

Now I'm sure you don't want to believe that the Bible says this, but it does. I'll believe the Bible.

Some additional readings

Isa. 2:2
Dan. 2:44
Eph. 1:10

Truth in love

So, to you, which is the properly construed context, plus how do you know yours is correct?

While you are at it, answer these questions: Why would Jesus create his Church only to let it die an early death, and why would he send a Paraclete and then have that fail as well?

God respects man ability to choose. The entire history of the OT is a long serious of people getting stupid forgetting God and suffering as a result. God then sends help again (and again and again and again). Its an extremely clear pattern. Why would that have completely changed in the NT and the Bible tell us that the patent would continue?

How do I know. 1 The Bible. 2 the Holy Ghost. 3. I listen to the words of the living oracles of God (Prophets and Apostles). 4 Other writings of prophets.

metis

The entire history of the OT is a long serious of people getting stupid forgetting God and suffering as a result.
That is not true as much of the Tanakh also mentions the Jewish people's love of God and vice versa. So, why did you not cover the good and only focus on the bad? As one who studied the Holocaust here, in Poland, and Israel, stereotyping Jews in such a negative manner has caused so much trouble over the centuries.

Why would that have completely changed in the NT and the Bible tell us that the patent would continue?
But that doesn't negate the obvious intent of why Jesus started his Church in the first place. Also, the Apostles themselves were not "saints" as they periodically disobeyed Jesus as well.

Jesus and the Apostles never claimed that people and leaders within the Church would always do the right thing, and Paul reinforces this by citing examples of some in the early Church who were not doing that which is right or moral.

How do I know. 1 The Bible. 2 the Holy Ghost. 3. I listen to the words of the living oracles of God (Prophets and Apostles). 4 Other writings of prophets.
There's a difference between "knowing" and "applying".

Dogknox20

I've cited this before.

2 Thes 2:
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

(Clearly there is a post Christ falling away.)

Acts 3:
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Matthew 17:
10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?

11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

So in addition to a falling away there will also be a restitution of all things.

Now I'm sure you don't want to believe that the Bible says this, but it does. I'll believe the Bible.

Some additional readings

Isa. 2:2
Dan. 2:44
Eph. 1:10

Truth in love A falling away does not mean The Church will stop existing! It means the Church Jesus established on ROCK will have people that reject the Church... I can think of Arius or Martin Luther of King Henry!

Acts 3 IN CONTEXT.. God will restore everything NOTHING about a falling away!
20 and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21 Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22 For Moses said, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. 23 Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from their people.

The Prophet is Jesus himself!

Truth in love Why did you stop at Matthew 17:11??? 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

Truth in love Same with rev 14:6 Nothing about falling away! The Church Jesus established on ROCK will never fall!
Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people. 7 He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

Daniel 6:26
I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel. “For he is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end.
Truth in love The One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church Jesus established on ROCK... "The Body of Jesus" will Endure forever! To say differently is to say God failed!

Truth in love

That is not true as much of the Tanakh also mentions the Jewish people's love of God and vice versa. So, why did you not cover the good and only focus on the bad? As one who studied the Holocaust here, in Poland, and Israel, stereotyping Jews in such a negative manner has caused so much trouble over the centuries.

But that doesn't negate the obvious intent of why Jesus started his Church in the first place. Also, the Apostles themselves were not "saints" as they periodically disobeyed Jesus as well.

Jesus and the Apostles never claimed that people and leaders within the Church would always do the right thing, and Paul reinforces this by citing examples of some in the early Church who were not doing that which is right or moral.

There's a difference between "knowing" and "applying".

So you went out of your way to ignore my point and lump me in with the Nazi's?

Why would the Bible predict a falling away and restitution if this was not to happen?

Truth in love

Truth in love A falling away does not mean The Church will stop existing! It means the Church Jesus established on ROCK will have people that reject the Church... I can think of Arius or Martin Luther of King Henry!

Acts 3 IN CONTEXT.. God will restore everything NOTHING about a falling away!
20 and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21 Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22 For Moses said, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. 23 Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from their people.

The Prophet is Jesus himself!

Truth in love Why did you stop at Matthew 17:11??? 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

Truth in love Same with rev 14:6 Nothing about falling away! The Church Jesus established on ROCK will never fall!
Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people. 7 He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel. “For he is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end.
Truth in love The One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church Jesus established on ROCK... "The Body of Jesus" will Endure forever! To say differently is to say God failed!

Daniel tells us that the kingdom would be established in the days of the feet. Christ was around in the days of the Iron legs.

But hey its only the Bible, if you wish to not believe what it says I respect your choice.

metis

So you went out of your way to ignore my point and lump me in with the Nazi's?
Could you stoop any lower as I did nothing of the sort? Let me repeat: the use of stereotyping, which you clearly did, is what the NAZI's did to the Jews. My point is the use of stereotyping, not that I think you're a NAZI.

Why would the Bible predict a falling away and restitution if this was not to happen?
So Jesus was wrong, according to you. If that's what you believe, then that's what you believe, I guess.

But Jesus and the Twelve well knew that some within the flock would and did desert the faith, and also that there would be other elements that would declare that they are the "true church", which also did happen.

Truth in love

Could you stoop any lower as I did nothing of the sort? Let me repeat: the use of stereotyping, which you clearly did, is what the NAZI's did to the Jews. My point is the use of stereotyping, not that I think you're a NAZI.

So Jesus was wrong, according to you. If that's what you believe, then that's what you believe, I guess.

But Jesus and the Twelve well knew that some within the flock would and did desert the faith, and also that there would be other elements that would declare that they are the "true church", which also did happen.

And you again accuse me of saying Jesus was wrong. I have not said this. I think your personal view on what he said is in error. That is very different from saying He is wrong. And you accuse me of stooping low????

metis

And you again accuse me of saying Jesus was wrong. I have not said this. I think your personal view on what he said is in error. That is very different from saying He is wrong. And you accuse me of stooping low????
You obviously believe in what ever want to believe, plus you keep avoiding the point of your use of stereotyping, which is a form of "intellectual dishonesty". Thus, to blame this on me is just another form of your "intellectual dishonesty".

Jesus taught he would guide his Church until the end of time, and he is the one who created "his Church".

I'm done.

Truth in love

You obviously believe in what ever want to believe, plus you keep avoiding the point of your use of stereotyping, which is a form of "intellectual dishonesty". Thus, to blame this on me is just another form of your "intellectual dishonesty".

Jesus taught he would guide his Church until the end of time, and he is the one who created "his Church".

I'm done.

More false accusations.

See ya

Dogknox20

Daniel tells us that the kingdom would be established in the days of the feet. Christ was around in the days of the Iron legs.

But hey its only the Bible, if you wish to not believe what it says I respect your choice.
Daniel 2:44
“In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever.

“I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel. “For he is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end.

Daniel 7:18
But the holy people of the Most High will receive the kingdom and will possess it forever—yes, for ever and ever.’

Matthew 28:20
teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Wolves well enter the Church, but they will not destroy the Church!
Acts 20:29
I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.

Hieratics; False Teachers Arius, King Henry, Martin Luther etc all came from within!!

Dogknox20

Sola Scriptura is NOT Biblical
Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

The Bereans accepted the message of the Church thus they were MORE noble!
Those in Thessalonica were LESS Noble because they believed in "
Sola Scriptura"!
Paul was teaching "Christ resurrected" (acts 17:3) this is NOT found in their Old Testament they NEEDED the Church to arrive at TRUTH! Those in Thessalonica trusted in their Scriptures ALONE!