• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is Sola Scriptura Biblical?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Christians:

Is Sola Scriptura biblical?

Or is it a tradition?
Both. The literary and historical evidence demonstrates that the authors if the Bible intended it to be literal as they believed.

In tradition Sola Scriptura was the almost universally understanding of the Bible until the 18th and 19th century

Last edited:

Eli G

After quoting Psal.82:6, Jesus said "the Scripture cannot be nullified" (John 10:34) to validate his reasoning, so: real Christianism follow Jesus in the sola scriptura principle.

Paul said:

2 Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

So, he followed Jesus respecting the same principle.

Jesus said in prayer to God:

John 17:17 Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.

So, no person acquires a favorable position before God if he does not adhere to His written word.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
From the perspective of the gospels it is open to question and significant disagreement as what the nature of the Church Created by Jesus would be. My citation is absolutely clear the separated Christians are not apart of the One True Universal Church.

Based on the citation I provided this was more wishful thinking and not the reality of how the Roman Church view the separated Christians. I can cite more citations from Vatican II and the Catechism that the separated Christians cannot receive the fullness of Salvation of the faithful within the One True Church.

I refer to the RCC as the Roman Church with the Bishop of Rome as it head, because I do not consider it Catholic (Universal). From the perspective of the believers, yes the RCC is the Universal Church therefore Catholic.
Yes. I've been there many times, yet the stance remains for some.

Eli G

Of course, God has many ways of teaching humans about truth and justice, and the Scriptures are just one of those ways, as are the created things that He Himself invites humans to observe closely to learn from them and also the laws that govern human behavior and the consequences of different types of procedures, an educated conscience that can talk to us, etc.

Pro. 6:6 Go to the ant, you lazy one;
Observe its ways and become wise.

Is. 40:26 Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.
Who has created these things?
It is the One who brings out their army by number;
He calls them all by name.
Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,
Not one of them is missing.

However, God is not going to teach us one thing on one hand and another contradictory thing on the other. The Bible is the clearest and most specific method by which our Creator educates us. He himself made sure that there were men inspired by his own spirit or energy to write things that would guide us on our path, to have "a future and a hope".

Jer. 29:11 “‘For I well know the thoughts that I am thinking toward you,’ declares Jehovah, ‘thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give you a future and a hope. 12 And you will call me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.’
13 “‘You will seek me and find me, for you will search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will let you find me,’ declares Jehovah. (...)