• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is "social drinking" ok?

According to several verses in both the Old and New Testaments, I think we can conclude that outright drunkenness is a sin. But, there is no passage that outright condemns the "occasional" drink (for example, a glass of wine at dinner, or a beer at a social gathering.) So, my question is; Is this type of drinking, without getting drunk, acceptable, or not, and why?

Renji

I think it is. Because if it's not, then Jesus and the apostles also sinned during the Last Supper.

I think it is. Because if it's not, then Jesus and the apostles also sinned during the Last Supper.
Based on the studies that I've done (and I am by no means an expert in Greek), the Greek word for "wine" could have several meanings, one being non-fermented grape juice. Anyone who knows Greek better than I want to shed some light on this?

Renji

Based on the studies that I've done (and I am by no means an expert in Greek), the Greek word for "wine" could have several meanings, one being non-fermented grape juice. Anyone who knows Greek better than I want to shed some light on this?

In Matthew 11:19 & Luke 7:34, Jesus was actually criticized as "drunkard (winebibber) and a glutton". There's no way that he can be accussed as drunkard if he was just drinking a grape juice.

rusra02

Premium Member
According to several verses in both the Old and New Testaments, I think we can conclude that outright drunkenness is a sin. But, there is no passage that outright condemns the "occasional" drink (for example, a glass of wine at dinner, or a beer at a social gathering.) So, my question is; Is this type of drinking, without getting drunk, acceptable, or not, and why?

Yes, the Bible allows for drinking alcoholic drinks in moderation (not heavy drinking or drunkenness). Among the gifts God gave mankind is "wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice" (Psalm 104:15) The apostle Paul spoke of the medicinal value of wine. (1 Timothy 5:23) Jesus' well known miracle of turning water into wine shows that God approves of drinking in moderation. (John 2:2-10)
Having said that, the Bible also strongly warns against being enslaved to a lot of wine, and definitely condemns drunkenness. (Titus 2:3, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I sure hope it's OK - I really enjoyed that margarita I had last night on my date with my husband.

Seriously, I believe drinking in moderation is fine according to the Bible.

In Matthew 11:19 & Luke 7:34, Jesus was actually criticized as "drunkard (winebibber) and a glutton". There's no way that he can be accussed as drunkard if he was just drinking a grape juice.
Yes, there are definitely passages that indicate an intoxicating beverage. But I guess what I really meant was this: does every use of the word "wine" (oinos) necessarily mean "intoxicating wine?"

Renji

Yes, there are definitely passages that indicate an intoxicating beverage. But I guess what I really meant was this: does every use of the word "wine" (oinos) necessarily mean "intoxicating wine?"

This is what I was able to search about oinos:

New Testament instruction

John the Baptist did not drink wine (oinos in the Greek) or any other form of alcohol because it was prophesied that he wouldn’t (Luke 1:15). However, Jesus Christ did drink oinos (wine) (Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34). Jesus did not preach against the use of wine; instead he did like most other Jews of his day. He drank wine in moderation. In ancient times it was normally diluted with water for drinking, and was one of the principal beverages in Palestine at that time—as it is today.
Jesus’ first miracle was to change water into wine (oinos). Some people who preach total abstinence claim that this miracle was to turn water into grape juice. Nonsense! Imagine if you can an elaborate Jewish wedding banquet where everyone drank only grape juice! (The ancients did not have refrigeration or any other method of preventing grape juice from fermenting.)
On this occasion Christ turned six jars of 20 or 30 gallons each into wine (oinos). This was no small miracle. This wine was of the finest quality—“You have kept the good wine until now” (John 2:10). At such wedding feasts, after people had drunk the better wine, the hosts brought out lesser-quality wines.
Jesus gave a parable involving the fermenting process of oinos in Matt. 9:17. At that time, instead of having metal or glass bottles to enclose wine, the skins of animals were used. The fermentation of the wine would break an old inelastic skin, but it would not break a new stretchable skin.
Another proof that oinos is fermented wine is the fact that the apostle Paul said, “Be not drunk with wine [oinos]” (Eph. 5:18). Paul did not mean to avoid getting drunk on grape juice! Paul instructed Timothy, “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine [oinos] for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities” (1 Tim. 5:23). He said to use only a little wine, not a whole lot. The purpose of this wine was Timothy’s frequent stomach ailments; small amounts of wine can help some stomach problems.
Some of the Corinthians Christians were getting drunk at the Lord's Supper (1 Cor. 11:21). They were using fermented wine, probably following the example that Paul had set for them. Paul did not tell them that they were using the wrong kind of wine. He simply told them to eat and drink at home, and to participate in the Lord's Supper in a respectful way. In Romans 14:21, Paul says that it is good not to drink wine or eat meat if it offends a weak brother. He is referring to fermented wine; grape juice wouldn't offend anyone. The implication is that there's nothing wrong with the wine in itself, only if it offends a weak brother.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Historic fact: In 1869, Thomas Welch, a supporter of the Temperance Movement, invented a non-alchoholic wine for use in church. Until that time, all wine was fermented -- especially in the climes of the Middle East.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not against drinking wine with dinner or having a couple of drinks to relax, but I am against drunkenness. I have alcoholism in my family, and I am a bit concerned that I might become an alcoholic (gradually) if I drink regularly, so I don't touch alcohol. Jesus drank wine with dinner (I have heard that water wasn't really fit to drink back then) and he probably drank socially, too, when teaching at someone's house or something or at weddings.

Among the gifts God gave mankind is "wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice" (Psalm 104:15)
Since you mentioned the Psalms, what do you think of the passage that says, “wine is a mocker” (Psalm 20:1)? And Proverbs 23:31, which says not to even look at wine?
The apostle Paul spoke of the medicinal value of wine. (1 Timothy 5:23)
It seems to me that Paul’s urging Timothy to drink a little wine is an indication that Timothy was avoiding it altogether.
Jesus' well known miracle of turning water into wine shows that God approves of drinking in moderation. (John 2:2-10)
So, let me get this straight. Jesus encounters a wedding feast and notices that the attendees have already drunk the entire (alcoholic) wine supply. So, in order to demonstrate his advocacy for drinking in moderation, he provides 120 extra gallons of alcoholic wine for them to continue their party? That doesn’t sound like moderation to me.
Having said that, the Bible also strongly warns against being enslaved to a lot of wine, and definitely condemns drunkenness. (Titus 2:3, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
I agree completely.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Didn´t Jesus turned water to vine?

though it would be awesome thaty he said something along the lines of :

"okay okay, I will turn the water on winve, but remeber, DONT drink it. I am just making the show so people will stay :D "

rusra02

Premium Member
Since you mentioned the Psalms, what do you think of the passage that says, “wine is a mocker” (Psalm 20:1)? And Proverbs 23:31, which says not to even look at wine?
The context of these proverbs shows the writer was talking about misuse of alcoholic drinks, not drinking wine in moderation. For example, verses 29,30 says:"Who has woe? Who has uneasiness? Who has contentions? Who has concern? Who has wounds for no reason? Who has dullness of eyes? Those staying a long time with the wine, those coming in to search out mixed wine."

It seems to me that Paul’s urging Timothy to drink a little wine is an indication that Timothy was avoiding it altogether.
I don't think we can infer that. Seems more likely that Paul was giving Timothy the time-tested advice to "Not drink the water", and use wine for it's medicinal value.

So, let me get this straight. Jesus encounters a wedding feast and notices that the attendees have already drunk the entire (alcoholic) wine supply. So, in order to demonstrate his advocacy for drinking in moderation, he provides 120 extra gallons of alcoholic wine for them to continue their party? That doesn’t sound like moderation to me.

Jesus' mother informed him the wine had run out. Jesus providing a large amount of wine was more likely due to the number of guests at the wedding, not an invitation to drunkenness. It also displays God's generosity in providing an abundance, and this miracle was a sign that Jesus is the true Messiah. The fact that Jesus provided the wine shows Christians can enjoy alcoholic drinks.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Alcohol is not, in itself, sinful.
What you may do when Drunk most certainly can be.

Till quite recent times it was safer to drink alcoholic beverages than water.
even young children drank alcohol.

As far as the Eucharist goes, it was not so much the alcohol that made a shared cup safe from passing on germs. It was that the Chalice was made from silver ( silver kills germs on contact... as will copper) the modern use of glass and ceramics gives no such protection.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
If someone wants to partake of alcoholic beverages, I personally see nothing wrong with it. There is no reason for anyone to judge people for this, unless of course you want to draw attention to that person with a glass of wine and take the attention away from yourself, trying to keep your own "secret" hidden. ;)

Some people can take anything and take to to excessive behavior and gluttony, like the preacher who weighs in at 300 lbs from eating at all the church functions and stands in the pulpit and preaches moderation. :rolleyes:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I believe the problem modern day Christians have with alcohol is many members of their church are recovering alcoholics. Being around alcohol or having just one drink could have devastating results.

While your occasional drink is no sin and should not be worried about for you personally, you have to consider the company you keep while indulging.

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe the problem modern day Christians have with alcohol is many members of their church are recovering alcoholics. Being around alcohol or having just one drink could have devastating results.

While your occasional drink is no sin and should not be worried about for you personally, you have to consider the company you keep while indulging.

This is true. "It is well not to eat flesh or to drink wine or do anything over which your brother stumbles." (Romans 14:21)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This is true. "It is well not to eat flesh or to drink wine or do anything over which your brother stumbles." (Romans 14:21)

Exactly Right, and somewhere in there, (Romans 14) it says, "Happy is the man for the one thing he alloweth". The thing is, you should not let your one thing be in folks faces or cause problems.

Many Christians will tell you Romans 14 is about meat burned at sacrifice, but if you really read and understand it applies to more than just meat. It says, "nothing is unclean" unless you believe it to be unclean.

Last edited: