• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is Jesus a 'Deity'', to you?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
You do need luck. :)
Ciao
- viole

viole claims to be an atheist agnostic. Interesting so I looked up the definition.
An agnostic atheist is defined as one who does not know for sure if any gods exist or not but who also does not believe in any gods. This definition makes it clear that being an agnostic and being an atheist are not mutually exclusive. Knowledge and belief are related but separate issues: not knowing if something is true or not doesn't exclude believing or disbelieving it.

Inquiring minds don'cha'know?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well please explain it then. Why leave people with mistaken beliefs?
I am open minded and can handle being mistaken like a grown adult.

I believe it is a simple syllogism.

Jesus is called good.
Only God is good.
Jesus is God.

Of course it may not have been what the speaker intended but Jesus did not deny his own interpretation. More likely this fits into the Socratic method of teaching that Jesus uses frequently. He is trying to show this man that he would not simply be following a great teacher but God Himself.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

viole claims to be an atheist agnostic. Interesting so I looked up the definition.
An agnostic atheist is defined as one who does not know for sure if any gods exist or not but who also does not believe in any gods. This definition makes it clear that being an agnostic and being an atheist are not mutually exclusive. Knowledge and belief are related but separate issues: not knowing if something is true or not doesn't exclude believing or disbelieving it.

Inquiring minds don'cha'know?

Mmh. Nope. Who added an "a" to my claim of being a gnostic atheist?

Ciao

- viole

Acim

Revelation all the time
This question is directed at Christians, however any Jesus adherents can answer, if it pertains to their beliefs.
/Is Jesus a 'Deity'?
/Is Jesus a 'different' Deity, from God, or the father?
/Is Jesus 'half man, half deity?
/Is Jesus a 'deified human', yet not a Deity?
/If Jesus is separate from the 'father', how is He 'G-d?

Deity defined: a god or goddess (in a polytheistic religion): a deity of ancient Greece.
• divine status, quality, or nature
> For purposes of how I interpret the questions, I'm going with "a being who has divine status." I do think the inquiry is getting into a few things regarding theism and existence itself, but for now, I'm treating it fairly basic.

1 - Yes, Jesus is a Deity.
2 - Yes, Jesus is Son or extension of Creator God (Father). An intellectual distinction I find important.
3 - I think of question here as "WAS Jesus 'half man, half deity?' Regardless, deity in physical form is a existential type question. My sound bite response would be all Deity, appearing as human.
4 - Again, I think of this as "Was Jesus....?" Same response, all Deity, appearing as human.
5 - Separation is another one of those existential considerations. My theological understandings are such that separation doesn't actually exist. Or answered another way, if drop of water is distinct from rest of ocean, how is it (ever) 'Ocean?' But answered more directly/less rhetorically, the separation is errant way to consider the distinction between Father and Son, and along lines of 'fundamental error.' With sound bite, I would say think of Jesus as (fully) divine, and not Creator of Himself.

Feel like saying a bunch more, but only other thing that seems truly pertinent to the inquiry is that I don't feel the responses above are unique to Jesus, and are as true for everyone that 'appears human.'

jeager106

Premium Member
Yadda yadda yadda ad infinitum.
To each their own. I'm just content so many believe.
One day perhaps we'll all know.

Jesus: "You believe WHAT???? How did you people so badly screw up what I said? You mean there are FORTY THOUSAND denominations of followers of me and each believes
the others are going to hell?"

"May my father have mercy on your sorry rectal orifices."

^^^ Cosmic humor!

jeager106

Premium Member
Mmh. Nope. Who added an "a" to my claim of being a gnostic atheist?

Ciao

- viole

Oh...............................gnostic!
Explain what gnostic means o you please.

Dictionary definition.
the thought and practice especially of various cults of late pre-Christian and early Christian centuries distinguished by the conviction that matter is evil and that emancipation comes through gnosis

jeager106

Premium Member
It means: I know there is no God.

Ciao

- viole

Really?
Source please.
Here is all I can find:
Gnos·tic
(nŏs′tĭk)
adj.
1. gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.

a·the·ist1
/ˈāTHēəst/
noun

• a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:
Seems a better noun I'd think. I truly do not believe Gnostic fit you definition.
Whatever. You are what you believe you are.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Really?
Source please.
Here is all I can find:
Gnos·tic
(nŏs′tĭk)
adj.
1. gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.

a·the·ist1
/ˈāTHēəst/
noun

• a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:
Seems a better noun I'd think.

Well, I figured, if there are agnostic atheists, there must be a notion of gnostic atheists. If not, why call those atheists "agnostic"? The qualification must imply the existence of the opposite qualification.

So, I do not lack belief or disbelieve God. That is far too weak for my taste and too defensive. It is like claiming agnosticism for mother Goose or invisible blue fairies, in order to avoid the burden of proof that mother Goose does not exist. Which is ridicolous, in my opinion.

I claim knowledge that God does not exist. In the same way I claim knowledge that mother Goose does not exist, either.

What is important here is that I do not claim certainty. Knowledge and certainty are not equivalent. Alas, people equivocate them far too often.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

jeager106

Premium Member
Mother Goose doesn't exist!?:eek:
O.M.G.!!!!
I'm crushed!:(
Don't EVEN tell me anything about Santa.
My mind couldn't handle it.:confused:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Jesus is called good.
Only God is good.
Jesus is God.

Of course it may not have been what the speaker intended but Jesus did not deny his own interpretation. More likely this fits into the Socratic method of teaching that Jesus uses frequently. He is trying to show this man that he would not simply be following a great teacher but God Himself.

The way the sentence is constructed makes it plain that he is saying he is not God.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Jesus is called good.
Only God is good.
Jesus is God.

^

Do you know what page it is on?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You know, there is a method, when we are reading a text, or a narrative. You may have two seemingly contradictive ''statement'' type /verses, in this case. You cannot say that 'one' type of direct statement, is just completely wrong //The Deity of Jesus,,
there are many verses with this stated. Therefore, the 'other' verses, must be taken into account, contextually, to those statements.
I am going to call you in my head, the puzzle man.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You are right! It is like he might be saying, "aha, someone who might recognize me".....so he asks him, 'why"? As in, why do say that?

It's really a great verse. There is even more than one way to read this, as well, in my opinion

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not deciding on Jesus. I think he is deciding on us. So......I do not care for the argument much. It is arguing about words. Isn't it? 2 Timothy 2:14