• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Is Arrogance a Sin?

idea

Question Everything
Arrogance is very similar to and sometimes is considered the same as pride which is condemned by the Bible.

It is good to be proud of our children, take pride in our work, or "proud to be an American", take pride in our beliefs etc. etc. Pride in something bigger than ourself is fine I think.

idea

Question Everything
Sin in my view, stems from the Ego of man and gets in the way of, what I believe, is the Will of the Absolute: to comprehend existence for sake of comprehension alone.

r u a fan of Eckhart Tolle? I sure am :D.

"To sin means to miss the mark, as an archer who misses the target, so to sin means to miss the point of human existence, it means to live unskillfully, blindly, and thus to suffer and cause suffering."

Besides being disliked by so many (a strong sign, something's wrong with ones' way of approaching the world), the arrogant are seldom even at peace with their own [inner] selves. In fact, I am almost inclined to go as far as to claim that arrogance is a symptom of an insecure personal Ego, afraid of discovering its true self and not thinking it good enough. Perhaps though, that only goes for my own arrogance and not for arrogance in general?

Yes, I think arrogant people are extremely insecure.:yes:

singpeace

arrogance begets animosity especially when a christian claims to KNOW the answer through a very fallible book written thousands of years ago and for a time that no longer applies to us today. saying you know or it's more than a feeling and my personal favorite "i have a relationship not a religion" is arrogance. is it wrong to be arrogant? look around you, how does it help anything. again the only way to prove your FAITH is to be it, live it and be an example...,sell everything like jc told YOU...take up YOUR cross...it is not easy though...so you'll just believe and stand on the side lines judging and try to control other peoples choices... because i am a child of god and i have a right to do such arrogant things...god is on MY side.

it is an absolutely preposterous notion that one can claim to know the creator of everything... that in and of itself is arrogance based on insecurity.

Waitasec,

There are people who claim to be Christians but aren't. They're easy to spot because they are judgmental, easily offended, and very proud. They aggressively seek out pathetic debates and talk down to non-believers and people of other faiths. If this is the kind of persons you encountered, they're liars, not Christians.

One of the best examples I can offer of being Christ-like is a man who wasn't a Christian, but a Hindu named Ghandi.

I am a Christian. That's all I'm going to say about it.

I hope you have some encounters with really cool genuine Christians someday.