• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians in the military

averageJOE

zombie
If you dont like Jesus' standards, it is ok, but saying He has double standards seems hateful comments.

He does not have double standards. Jesus is perfect and sinless, so He can judge the world when the time comes.
Whatever. So you agree that it's perfectly ok for god to kill and murder?

Shermana

Heretic
Jesus says dont throw pearls to the pigs. I am not saying you are a pig. What He is saying is to avoid meaningless doctrine arguments who are not interested in what Jesus has to say.

Jesus word is pearls.

blessings.

Yes, I understand you're not interested in what Jesus says about "Take up the sword" and how not everyone who has fought in war has died by combat wounds, thus making Jesus a complete liar by your interpretation, and I understand you're not interested in what Peter says about being able to address every question and point of contention, but why are you posting on the debates section if you don't want to actually address people's counterpoints? If you're here to preach your interpretation as the only possible interpretation while ignoring other people's valid points, I suggest you stick to the DIRS.

Meshak

Whatever. So you agree that it's perfectly ok for god to kill and murder?

We will be judged when the time comes by God.

Yes, we will be destroyed by Him if we are killers and murders and everyone who are wicked doers who are not in God's will.

PS: I am not saying we will be burned and tortured forever.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't believe the USA is anymore a military country than other countries. I was stationed in Italy at NATO and AFSouth (Armed Forces Southern Europe). I served with military from the UK, Canada, Greece, Turkey, Italy, etc. (This was back in the mid- 80s).

While Canada does have an armed forces, in my experience, the US has a much more militarized culture than Canada does.

Oh - fun fact: on most parts of the Eisenhower Interstate System, 1 mile in 5 is built straight and level so that it can be converted into an airfield in time of war if needed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally, I can't understand how anyone who believes this could ever have reason to go to war:

Matthew 6:25-34

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[g] 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

However, I also don't see how anyone who believes this would ever have reason to keep a proper emergency supply, save for their retirement, or engage in evangelism.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
God gives us free will if we abide by His standards or not. If we choose to follow our own way, we will not be in His Kingdom.

That is so simple, friend.

You've not really answered my question. Does everything happen according to God's will or not?

Shermana

Heretic
Reference?

PS; I am not just interested, I know everything what Jesus says.

Right, Jesus says, as in the quote which you snipped and didn't reply to, that all (the ones) who take the sword will die by the sword. Matthew 26:52

Matthew 26:52 "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

So let's try this again.

Ahem....

Jesus says ALL (The ones/anyone) who take the sword will die by the sword.

But not everyone who goes to war dies by weapon related wounds.

People who use weapons in self defense have more often than not, NOT died by weapon related injuries.

So you're left with two options.

#1: Jesus lied.

By your interpretation, Jesus NECESSARILY lied. No question. Because there are plenty of people who have used weapons and not died by weapons, or weapon related injuries.

#2: Jesus meant those who take the sword in an unjustified manner.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Also, in your interpretation, and I hope you don't skip this question, if someone breaks into your home and is going to assault your wife and kids, are you going to just let them? Especially if you have the chance to get the drop on them?

Last edited:

Meshak

Right, Jesus says, as in the quote which you snipped and didn't reply to, that all (the ones) who take the sword will die by the sword. Matthew 26:52

Matthew 26:52 "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.
]

do you realize Jesus is rebuking that man? Jesus is saying you will die for the sword, not for God. Jesus' followers should not die for the sword. my goodness.

His followers should die for Jesus, not for the sword.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
]

do you realize Jesus is rebuking that man? Jesus is saying you will die for the sword, not for God. Jesus' followers should not die for the sword. my goodness.

His followers should die for Jesus, not for the sword.

"Die by the sword" is not the same thing as "die for the sword".

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You've not really answered my question. Does everything happen according to God's will or not?

The answer to that is 'no', it doesnt.

Gods will is expressed in the scriptures. He Wills that people obey his laws and he pleads with them to do so... but do people obey his laws? No. So obviously Gods will in that regard is not happening.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Elaborate your question. It seem like this is trick question.

It's not a trick - it's a simple yes or no question. You wrote earlier:

"Yes, we will be destroyed by Him if we are killers and murders and everyone who are wicked doers who are not in God's will."

I asked if this meant that some things do not happen according to God's will, which would be a direct contradiction of the notion of an infallible, omnipresent God. So, do you or do you not believe that everything that happens is according to God's will?

And "yes" or "no" would suffice. It's really not a difficult question.

The answer to that is 'no', it doesnt.

Gods will is expressed in the scriptures. He Wills that people obey his laws and he pleads with them to do so... but do people obey his laws? No. So obviously Gods will in that regard is not happening.
What is mean by "will" is not just what God "wants" to happen - it's about things being according to his plan, so to speak. If God is omnipresent and all-knowing, then he knows and understands the consequences of every action and everything happens accordingly. Ergo, nothing can happen that God cannot control or cannot expect to happen. Is that true or not?

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What is mean by "will" is not just what God "wants" to happen - it's about things being according to his plan, so to speak. If God is omnipresent and all-knowing, then he knows and understands the consequences of every action and everything happens accordingly. Ergo, nothing can happen that God cannot control or cannot expect to happen. Is that true or not?

He certainly knows the consequences of what will happen, yes.

That is why he pleads with mankind not to behave in certain ways. Our bad conduct is not part of his plan....that is seen by the fact that he says whoever is acting wickedly will come to their finish. Prov 2:22 As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth; and as for the treacherous, they will be torn away from it.”

If it was his 'plan' that people act wickedly, then why is he determined to destroy such wicked ones? Even his adversary the Devil is soon to be destroyed. Obviously they are not part of his plan.