• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians in the military

Meshak

Jesus was not speaking of the literal sword or the bloody wars of men. The context shows he was speaking of the divisions within households that would result from the attitudes of family members who would reject the good news of God and persecute family members who accepted it. Matthew 10:35-38
The parallel account in Luke 12:51,52 reads: "Do you imagine I came to give peace on the earth? No, indeed, I tell you, but rather division. For from now on there will be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three."

Yes!

thank you.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
There still has been no adequate support shown for the argument that Jesus does not want followers to serve in the military.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It is strange that you guys skip that the Bible says He is prince of peace. goodness, talk about picking to justify wrongful practice.

This is your opinion, you have every right to your opinion BUT many people have brought verses from the New Testament to back their position.

Your position is lacking scholarship.

You refuse to address other folks biblical verses except to say they are twisting things.

You have every right to your opinion but do not have a right to you own facts.

I think it is you who are twisting things and are being dishonest in debate when you don't produce scripture or comment on what is presented to you and simply dismiss the scriptures that prove your interpretation is incorrect.

Lastly and more important, you are judging people who serve in the military. Is it your job to judge others?

If a man defends his family, would that not be between him and God?

Even if you could prove this person was wrong to protect his family which you have failed miserably presenting biblical facts, would they still not be forgiven because of God's grace?

Meshak

You refuse to address other folks biblical verses except to say they are twisting things.

Everyone can make up doctrine using the Scripture, even satan does this. I dont try to understand against Jesus' simple word.

Jesus' teachings are simple and clear. I will not try to make it complicated like most of you are doing. Thats what most Christian organizations do too. that's why it is circus.

BruceDLimber

You are twisting Jesus' word, friend.

Not in the least!

I simply pointed out that you were doing selective quoting to stress one side of an argument while ignoring a contrary statement--just as various others have now also pointed out to you!

Marvelous thing, accuracy! :)

Bruce

Meshak

Not in the least!

I simply pointed out that you were doing selective quoting to stress one side of an argument while ignoring a contrary statement

Nope, you guys are misusing the Scripture to justify your desire against Jesus' simple word. I will not accommodate it.

sojourner

Everyone can make up doctrine using the Scripture, even satan does this.
And even you...
I dont try to understand against Jesus' simple word.
And yet, somehow, you manage to misunderstand it, anyway. Amazing!
Jesus' teachings are simple and clear.
Yes, they are. It's also simple to discern what Jesus doesn't speak about at all...
I will not try to make it complicated like most of you are doing.
And your results end up being simplistic and vacuous.

That's why this is such a circus.

rusra02

Premium Member
There still has been no adequate support shown for the argument that Jesus does not want followers to serve in the military.

You cannot love your neighbor as yourself and still murder them at the command of a national leader. At least, that's what I believe the Bible teaches.

Meshak

You cannot love your neighbor as yourself and still murder them at the command of a national leader. At least, that's what I believe the Bible teaches.

You know it so well, my friend. It is so simple yet too many dont seem to know it. It is just strange.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm curious, what do "true Christians" do when they see somebody breaking into their homes and start stabbing their children one by one?

These things have happened before, so it isn't impossible.

sojourner

The implication seems to be that we simply let the perpetrator blithely go about stabbing the little ones, because following Jesus' command of "loving your enemies" is so much more important than "protecting your innocent children from harm."

BTW, being careful to "follow Jesus' commands" so that one can be sure to show God how much you love Jesus, so that you can be admitted to heaven is far, far, far more important than following Jesus' example of self-sacrifice for the well-being of others.

sojourner

Can you love your neighbor as yourself by standing by, watching, while an oppressive regime kills, plunders and enslaves them?

The bible teaches -- first and foremost -- that one's responsibility to one's household (or country) and its visitors takes priority over one's responsibility to those outside the household.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think the point everyone is missing here is that these folks who claim to be true followers of Jesus are judging others who served in the military.

If they don't want to serve that is understandable but passing judgement on others who do is hypocritical.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Jesus said to love your neighbor. I don't remember him saying to judge your neighbor if they are in the military or queer or perhaps even both.

Meshak

I think the point everyone is missing here is that these folks who claim to be true followers of Jesus are judging others who served in the military.

If they don't want to serve that is understandable but passing judgement on others who do is hypocritical.

Jesus' followers are supposed to present Jesus as prince of peace. Pro-military Christians are misrepresenting Jesus with their violent practice.

the world need to know that the military and the wars are not of Jesus.