• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: I'm having trouble understanding why premarital sex, is supposed to be wrong.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Most Christians consider it a sin, but why?

I think we're expected to have discipline over our carnal instincts. To reject the flesh and embrace the spirit.

...But I have sinned five hundred thousand times at least. Of premarital sex I am guilty.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
God created marriage in order to promote the population of the earth as he told the first humans to do. He brought the woman to the man in what would be the first marriage.

Sex is primarily for procreation and that is why God kept it purely for marriage, so that the children produced would have a family to grow up in and parents to nurture and love them for the rest of their lives.

Pre-marital sex can have awful repercussions when an unwanted pregnancy results. The pair might be uncommitted and not prepared to get married. It might be that an abortion is sought, destroying a human life because it was not convenient for the parents to have a child. It can cause STD's if multiple partners are sought.
It might be that the reasons for choosing a partner rely more on physical things than spiritual qualities. Basing your choice of a mate on sex is usually a bad foundation for a lasting relationship, especially if you have nothing else in common.

Jesus said..."Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.” (Matthew 19:4-6)

Marriage is a 'yoking' of two people in a committed relationship. Them becoming "one flesh" with their marriage mate is a sacred thing. It is "what God has Yoked together" and no man should ever cause it to break apart by becoming "one flesh" with another.

If you want God's approval, then you must obey his laws on sex and marriage.
That is how I understand what the Bible teaches.

74x12

Please help me understand.
It goes back to the original concept of marriage. Becoming "one" with your spouse as Adam and Eve were one flesh. The act of intercourse is becoming one with the other person. The reproductive organs are combining together to function as one. Fitting perfectly together. So through intercourse a man and woman are becoming one flesh like Adam and Eve. To do this before marriage is not the will of God because God doesn't want people just becoming "one flesh" with anybody they can. It should be in holy marriage.

Then they can have children which is the physical union of the two and is literally their two DNA combined to form "one" new person. So a sort of memorial of their union.

Which is why God had "circumcision" as a sign of the Abrahamic Covenant. This was no accident because God desired the holiest seed. That is the Messiah. So Abraham's descendants were told to separate their foreskins so they would be "set apart" or holy. And they could sire a "holy seed". In the new Covenant this is no longer required because circumcision now should be of the heart.

dianaiad

One reason (among a bunch)...to protect women. Y'see, women are the ones who suffer if something goes off the rails and she gets pregnant. The GUY gets away with it, He can walk away scot free, guilt free, not responsible for anything. At least, that's been true for the vast majority of human history (until paternity tests...). No matter what she does about it...raise the kid, give it up, have an abortion, SHE is the one who has to bear the physical consiquences, and she is the one who is the target for all criticism.

'cause while the man can lie and say 'it wasn't me!" the woman can't.

And men are jerks. Always have been. That's one reason premarital sex was considered sinful, *I* think....because the woman gets harmed and the man gets away with it.

......and I have noticed that those who bewail the idea that premarital sex is considered sinful are MOSTLY men.

Oh, and it's never good for a kid to be born to a single mother who has to deal with everything on her own, as opposed to being born to a loving, committed, marriage.

Call me old fashioned. Call me a stick in the mud.

But I'm right....and you know this. This particular 'sin' HURTS those who engage in it, and it really hurts the children who find themselves caught in it.

David T

Premium Member
Whats wrong with with me having sex with your wife? We can send pictures even!!

At some literal superficial level nothing is wrong with that picture at all!!

Although at some other level i also could say everything is wrong with it.

So maybe, the issue is something other than a grand deep universial god law that over time some made it into that. Just a guess i mean religion is so clear headed about such things. The least expert on such topics are our experts. I make no such claim since i am being forced by the female population to be a monk. Dont ask me.

Last edited: