• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians! If Jesus is NOT God, how do you explain Luke:18:19?

Kelly of the Phoenix

If Jesus is saying he is no good, how did a no good Jesus die for your sins? How did he die for Adam's?
He died because Romans killed him. He commits various sins, even sins that were barely sins in his day (like racism). He breaks commandments. He is not sinless, no matter what authors or editors tried to claim.

If Jesus is not God and only God is good, then obviously Jesus wasn't good enough. And if Jesus wasn't good enough, then he couldn't have possibly died for your sins, Adam's sin, or even his own.
That we have to repent or go to hell suggests Jesus' death didn't do squat or I wouldn't have to bother.

"Believing" he died for my sins is irrelevant. He either paid the price or he didn't. After looking at all the inconsistencies in Christian dogma, I have to conclude he didn't. Claims otherwise are there because people don't want to takes responsibility for their actions and want someone else to pay up.

I'm not trinitarian but I do believe Jesus is God. You're right. Jesus was good and was looking for faith. If the young ruler saw that Jesus was good; then what else could he see?
I see far too many people practically worshiping a Nazi in the US to believe that some random guy considering another random guy "good" means that guy is "good."

and whoever is the Good Shepherd gives His life for the sheep
If the shepherd dies, who is left to protect the sheep?

But, if God is really the good Shepherd that He implies He is in Psalm 23 and if the Good Shepherd gives His life for the Sheep; then it's all explained.
Not really, because a dead shepherd will soon be joined by his sheep because no one's left to keep the wolves at bay.

"No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."
Which is weird because people see God all the time in the early days.

But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?
So, Satan can't really rule this planet, because God can't physically be absent from it.

A good analogy is when an author writes himself into his own story.
But that still isn't "me." It is a character, as real as the other characters.

but the Arians claim Jesus is not good because only God is good and Jesus is not God.
Jesus isn't sinless, but he might still be called "good."

I mean, nobody's perfect. :)

A quandary for our Arian friends who deny Jesus is God.
Editing is a thing. The ancient world has "copyright curses" precisely because people just changed things to how they saw fit.

God talks to his audience in a way they can understand, so I agree it’s important to consider culture, history, language and grammar when we exegete text. However I also believe scripture to be inspired, so I see the New Testament as “God-breathed” rather than "Greek influenced".
But if we need to look at cultural context, "Son of God" was just a figure of speech. It was the polytheistic Greeks and Romans who made it more literal because that was THEIR cultural context.

When we moderns say "we're all children of God", does that mean God literally fathered us in the same way a mortal would? No, of course not. It's an expression, nothing more.

To learn from the Watchtower that Christ's work at Cavalry was insufficient to cover all our sins would certainly be sad news.
I can't wait to see a Christian denomination that promotes the idea that maybe, just maybe, adults should act like adults.

A neighbor came to our house to talk to us. The neighbors and my family aren't exactly on speaking terms and I didn't really want to talk to this rude person at that time. Apparently, he had come over to tell me my car lights were on and the next day my battery died, causing me a nervous breakdown because it was just one more thing on a pile of other things and the camel's back broke. However, despite how traumatic I felt, I admitted I deserved it, because in my resentment, I prevented the solution to the problem from happening. I didn't ask Jesus to fix my car to get me out of this situation because I had to be at work in an hour. My insurance isn't going to pay the bill to have the battery replaced. Of course I'm irritated if not infuriated, but it's MY fault and as an adult, I have to face the music.

I understand what you're saying but what I don't understand is how, if Jesus was good, can he then say only God is good alone.
The problem is that the bible was written by so many people and edited by so many other people that the bible can't remember important plot points. Not only does God call our species' creation good, we are also made in His image, so whatever flaws we have are going to be His as well, because (W)e are so similar in nature. On Earth, as it is in heaven. This is why God forbids A&E from eating the magic fruit, because He doesn't want to share His powers, forgetting that He already made us want to be as gods because we are in His image and HE wants to be God. Our ambition was inherited from HIM.