1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Christians: gluttony as a sin

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by SigurdReginson, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:42 PM.

?
  1. 1. There's nothing wrong with it.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 2. I'm not sure if it's a sin.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. It's bad behavior that should be avoided, but iffy as a sin.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 4. Gluttony is a lesser sin, and there are exceptions.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. 5. Gluttony is definitely sinful behavior, no exceptions.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. SigurdReginson

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    None
    Heya folks! I know gluttony as a sin is probably a bigger deal in Catholicism than any other branch of Christianity, but I'm curious to know how other Christians feel. There are many different denominations that teach that it's sinful behavior to varying degrees. I was taught that it was sinful behavior growing up, but it was never really expanded on to any degree. I'm curious to know what you all think. On a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the worst, how sinful is it?

The poll is for Christians, but for non Christians, I'd like to hear your input on the subject as well.

Thanks!

2. Eddi

Eddi Mark 5:9

Ratings:
    +390
    Religion:
    Christian
    To me gluttony means taking more than you need

Which I think makes it somehow wrong, it goes against my moral intuition

I'd say that as a characteristic it is the opposite of a virtue - so yes, it's a sin but only a lesser one as in itself it hurts no one

Edit: no one other than the glutton!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amanaki

Amanaki Living in the moment

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Do you think everyone who is obese want to be it? or maybe they have a sickness that makes them obese. an example is some medicines make you want more food then you need so one gains weight.
    And no, people who are obese or struggle to lose weight are not disgusting nor are they disgusting to touch.

4. julianalexander745

julianalexander745 Active Member

Ratings:
    +84
    No. It's mostly just laziness, lack of proper diet & exercise and poor genetics. Not to mention being raised by people who should probably have never been parents in the first place from a moral standpoint.

Yes they are.

Slogans like "No Fat Chicks" don't just come from thin air.

5. Amanaki

Ratings:
    +3,302
    I totally disagree with you on this.
    But, yes because of what kind of food young people eat today, burgers, fries, candy and so on, the body will react and put on weight. And ads on TV has huge blame on this trend.

But to call them disgusting? that in itself is disgusting to me.

6. julianalexander745

Ratings:
    +84
    They're pretty disgusting.

7. Amanaki

Ratings:
    +3,302
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  8. julianalexander745

Ratings:
    +84
  9. julianalexander745

Ratings:
    +84
  10. julianalexander745

Ratings:
    +84
    People shouldn't feel "proud" of being fat; they should feel ashamed enough that they feel compelled to improve themselves.

11. Watchmen

Watchmen Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +646
    Sure. Blame the TV ads. Pretty sure healthy people see the same ads and resist/don’t buy crap for their kids.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Amanaki

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Tv ads are one reason, not the only reason.

13. julianalexander745

Ratings:
    +84
    TV ads are absolutely NOT the reason.

It's people with a disgusting lack of self-respect and a lack of concern for the people who have to look at / be around them.

14. Watchmen

Watchmen Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +646
    Right, but personal choice is the primary reason.

For the record, unlike someone else posting on this thread, I do not view obese people as “disgusting to touch.” I am concerned, however, about obesities’ impact on society.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. julianalexander745

Ratings:
    +84
    Agreed.

We see eye to eye on this issue.

16. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224
    What technically qualifies as gluttony, and does Catholicism specify a specific daily diet? If not, then how do you know if you're crossing some kind of line or not? When you have a feast like americans had yesterday, and you probably eat a lot, is that a sin or a valid celebration

• Like Like x 1
  17. SigurdReginson

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    None
    Good questions! I'd like to know those, too.

18. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224
    As well, wasn't there a verse where Jesus complained he was accused of being a 'drunk and a glutton.' What does that mean in relation to the church's denunciation. Also it says, 'don't worry about what you eat, for the kingdom of heaven is more than the stomach,' and Paul was shown of vision of a multitude of animals he was told to eat for some reason.

19. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    I had a similar thread up two years ago only a handful responded to me shouted me down condemming me for being mean to fat people, when the truth I'm an obese person. So no I don't talk down to obese folks but the bible does infact list it as sin, not a lesser sin, Jesus said all sins were the same except blaspheming the holy Ghost.

I have seen 400 pound pastors at an Apostolic church preach from a wheel chair because he was too fat to walk!Its not acceptable to me.

I have been to many Over Eaters anonymous many times in Mesquite Tx. They always are sitting around bunch of older ladies who go to church, knitting or crocheting before meeting. They talk about they;re perfect conservative church and they're perfect families. They look down their noses at me because they think they're perfect even if the weigh 450 pounds!

20. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    It hurts tons of people including the cows pigs and other animals who are being physically abused because our high demand for high fats for our 400 pound and other obese folks like me requires us to have the big chain ranches who physically obese animals in order to over produce to our markets.Not only is it hurting our environment but its a very and example and to say its a lesser sin, when the truth is our children and teens are dying of obesity so I beg your pardon to make it a lesser sin, our children and teens hear that very very clearly obesity is ok!