• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians! Do you despise Abominations? There's only one left to hate....which?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Christians! Do you despise Abominations? There only seems to be one left to abhor........ but which?

Having trawled through the laws of Moses I have collected some 'abominations'... dreadful unholy things... Not! :p

But the times have changed! There's only one left to utterly despise....... but which one? Wanna guess?

Here we go............. in order of appearance........ one abomination at a time. *shudders*

Leviticus {7:18} And if [any] of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offerings be eaten at all on the third day, it shall not be accepted, neither shall it be imputed unto him that offereth it: it shall be an abomination, and the soul that eateth of it shall bear his iniquity.

No problems! Jesus didn't support sacrifices, but in any case you could chomp away if you wanted to! We've got fridges and freezers now so you won't go to hell.

Next........!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Leviticus {7:21} Moreover the soul that shall touch any unclean [thing, as] the uncleanness of man, or [any] unclean beast, or any abominable unclean [thing,] and eat of the flesh of the sacrifice of peace offerings, which [pertain] unto the LORD, even that soul shall be cut off from his people.

Jesus was against sacrifice so you can ignore this 'un as well.
Anyway...... what a waste!
So far that's two disgusting nasty filthy abominations which you can ignore!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Leviticus {11:12} Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that [shall be] an abomination unto you.

Bottom feeding fish and munchers of carrion can collect and pass on infections, but today your cooking equipment is much better, so if you want to munch on skate 'n' chips (luvly!) you won't get sick so easily and in any case you won't go to hell. Next!

If a sin no longer leads top weakness or sickness then it's 'out of date'

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Leviticus {11:13} And these [are they which ye] shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they [are] an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray, {11:14} And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; {11:15} Every raven after his kind; {11:16} And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind, {11:17} And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, {11:18} And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle, {11:19} And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat. {11:20} All fowls that creep, going upon [all] four, [shall be] an abomination unto you.

Now does anybody want a bat sandwich after this past year's news? Anybody? See why these creatures are abominations? But if you do eat a bat sandwich you still won't go to hell, although you could catch a sickness.
Sin leads to .............. sickness!

Swans ......... I can tell you that all water fowl were dangerous to eat in past times. I seem to remember that the duck was the symbol for death in Egypt, back then. Typhoid 'n' stuff! But modern cooking appliances do reduce any such risks to a mere nothing by comparison although swan hunting is banned in the UK unless the Queen wants to eat one.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Leviticus {11:22} [Even] these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind. {11:23} But all [other] flying creeping things, which have four feet, [shall be] an abomination unto you. {11:24} And for these ye shall be unclean: whosoever toucheth the carcase of them shall be unclean until the even. {11:25} And whosoever beareth [ought] of the carcase of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even.

Christians! Another abomination for you! Yuk! But if you have watched 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here!' on telly you will know that many insects can be eaten safely, and since the Baptist liked his locusts they are probably quite tasty, but if you make a mistake with any others, whilst you might get sick, you won;'t go to hell. Next!

Brian2

Veteran Member
Christians! Do you despise Abominations? There only seems to be one left to abhor........ but which?

Having trawled through the laws of Moses I have collected some 'abominations'... dreadful unholy things... Not! :p

But the times have changed! There's only one left to utterly despise....... but which one? Wanna guess?

Here we go............. in order of appearance........ one abomination at a time. *shudders*

Leviticus {7:18} And if [any] of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offerings be eaten at all on the third day, it shall not be accepted, neither shall it be imputed unto him that offereth it: it shall be an abomination, and the soul that eateth of it shall bear his iniquity.

No problems! Jesus didn't support sacrifices, but in any case you could chomp away if you wanted to! We've got fridges and freezers now so you won't go to hell.

Next........!

Most of the law was specifically between God and the Jews and what He wanted them to do and avoid.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I always find the word abomination rather hilarious. It puts me in mind of one of those early Puritan settlers of the US East Coast, probably called Caleb, with a conical hat with a belt buckle on it and an alarming tendency to burst out in Old Testament verse quotations at a moment's notice.:D

I don't think any sensible Christian takes a blind bit of notice of all this OT abomination stuff. It is completely unhelpful.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I always find the word abomination rather hilarious. It puts me in mind of one of those early Puritan settlers of the US East Coast, probably called Caleb, with a conical hat with a belt buckle on it and an alarming tendency to burst out in Old Testament verse quotations at a moment's notice.:D
Well I'm enjoying it as well...... I do like a bit of revolting abomination....

I don't think any sensible Christian takes a blind bit of notice of all this OT abomination stuff. It is completely unhelpful.
Oh yeah? You should visit some of the extreme Christian forums! :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Right! Next one.....

Leviticus {11:43} Ye shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creepeth, neither shall ye make yourselves unclean with them, that ye should be defiled thereby. {11:44} For I [am] the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I [am] holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth.

Leave snakes and reptiles alone! They can bite, and some are poisonous. Keep off! But in any event you won't go to hell, although a bite or rash might hurt like you were there! :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Next...!

Leviticus {18:22} Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.

Back then babies and tribal growth were needed for future strength, and therefore homosexuality could either reduce the people's potential or transmit sicknesses around. But today we don't need masses of babies and closed couples are best whether hetero or homosexual. In any case you won't go to hell! Fortunately some Christian Denominations and Churches now will ordain gays, recognise gay couples and some will marry gays...... Thank goodness for common sense and love.
Next!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yet more Abominations! The Leviticus conclusion....... Luvly! :p

Leviticus {20:25} Ye shall therefore put difference between clean beasts and unclean, and between unclean fowls and clean: and ye shall not make your souls abominable by beast, or by fowl, or by any manner of living thing that creepeth on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean. {20:26} And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD [am] holy, and have severed you from [other] people, that ye should be mine.

Abominable meant weakness, sickness, loss of security for the people. So let's not start moaning on about morals please, because that is simply nonsense. This was all about being the safest, most powerful people around.

And now for Deuteronomy.......... coming up....

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Next........!

:facepalm:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Next........!
I though those scriptures were for the followers of the Mosaic Law. Why would that apply to Christians under a New Covenant--a different Covenant? Shouldn't you be asking this of my Jewish brothers?

If I came right down to it, it was I that was an abomination but: "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." and then again, " For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

So now, as an ambassador of The King, I am a sanctifier of abominations :D

A Vestigial Mote

Leviticus {18:22} Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.
So, missing explicit context here, who is the target of this statement? Does it (somehow/otherwise) explicitly state that MEN should not "lie with mankind, as with womankind?" What if this was directed at a female? It would be an instruction for women not to "lay" with men - and that they are, instead, supposed to "lay" with women! And if, instead, they simply assumed we'd know that these directions were directed at MEN ALONE... well... I think we all see the inherent problem in that. I mean... which parts of The Bible are women allowed to ignore if it is only speaking to men? And if it is sometimes speaking to men, and sometimes to both women and men, without specifying, even more trouble.

At any rate, since all of this text (The Bible) is so very open to interpretation - as I have been witness to time and time again as Christians fall all over themselves trying to explain away this or that (for instance, Jesus stating plainly that "there are those among you who will not perish before X comes to pass," when it clearly DID NOT) - I feel completely within my rights to assume that this is a command for NO ONE to "lay" with men. It sort of presents a conundrum for the idea of continuation of the species... but oh well. These are the words of God we're talking about here, and who am I to challenge them?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Next........!

Where did you get the idea that Jesus "didn't support sacrifices?"

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not just him. There is a long article here about how Christians have regarded the Law of Moses: Christian views on the Old Covenant
Here is a paragraph from that link:-
Most Christian groups believe that of the Old Covenant, only parts dealing with the moral law (as opposed to ceremonial law) are still applicable, others believe that none apply, dual-covenant theologians believe that the Old Covenant remains valid only for Jews, and a minority hold the view that all parts still apply to believers in Jesus and in the New Covenant.

Oh dear........ the laws that get ignored, and those ones that are embraced, thus causing so much prejudice.

So it varies to some degree among the denominations (as opposed to abominations :D) but almost no Christians see all elements of the Mosaic law as applicable.
Of course they don't....... Jesus and aptist both were totally opposed to sacrifice, Temple corruption, etc etc..... but all the rest he insisted upon at that time.