• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Do you chalk your door?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yes...we do it here...crowns of holly leaves (synthetic, of course)...but I guess non-believers do it too

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes...we do it here...crowns of holly leaves (synthetic, of course)...but I guess non-believers do it too

I think she was referring to the chalk writing at the upper left of the door rather than the wreath itself.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Though I do not know anyone who actually does this, I've always been fascinated by such practices.

It's seems many belief systems have some sort of ritual such as this one to ward off evil spirits, whether it be in form of creating an inscribed circle, or a pentagram, consecrating items with things such as holy water, or protecting space or oneself with amulets.

I was wondering if anyone here does this?

I reckon @Revoltingest partakes in such actions:

In Scotland through the mid- to late 1800s, chalking the primary door of a tenement was a way of notifying residents that they must move from their residence by a given day.[6]

By custom, leases and other similar contracts began or ended on the Scottish Term Days, Whitsunday and Martinmas. If a landlord wished to evict tenants in a particular tenement, the law dictated that, at the landlord's request, a burgh officer, in presence of witnesses, would chalk the primary door of the tenement forty days before Whitsunday or St. Martin's Day. The burgh officer would then record the fact that the chalking had been accomplished and this document was signed by the officer and the witnesses.[6]

The chalking indicated to tenants that they must vacate the premises by Whitsunday, when the lease expired. Tenants who failed to vacate by that date could then be evicted on six days' notice via a so-called "charge".[6][7]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I reckon @Revoltingest partakes in such actions:

In Scotland through the mid- to late 1800s, chalking the primary door of a tenement was a way of notifying residents that they must move from their residence by a given day.[6]

By custom, leases and other similar contracts began or ended on the Scottish Term Days, Whitsunday and Martinmas. If a landlord wished to evict tenants in a particular tenement, the law dictated that, at the landlord's request, a burgh officer, in presence of witnesses, would chalk the primary door of the tenement forty days before Whitsunday or St. Martin's Day. The burgh officer would then record the fact that the chalking had been accomplished and this document was signed by the officer and the witnesses.[6]

The chalking indicated to tenants that they must vacate the premises by Whitsunday, when the lease expired. Tenants who failed to vacate by that date could then be evicted on six days' notice via a so-called "charge".[6][7]
Oh, if only evictions here were so simple & quick.

Flankerl

Not a Christian but it's done here around the 6th January.

Always quite a hassle to stop them from scribbling their blessing on our door.

Jumi

Not a Christian, but yeah, a lot of people do it. Not many know why they do it though. It's become just a tradition.

GoodbyeDave

I've never seen this done in England. Apparently it's a central European thing that's been spread to the USA by immigration.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No, and all Christians I know of in person would likely consider this superstitious nonsense. They do hang holly on the doors sometimes, but there's no story to it.

Actually, the holly berries represent the blood of Christ, while the needles represent the thorns in the "crown" placed on Christ's head at the crucifixion.

Why do we decorate with holly at Christmas?