• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, Do you believe that God will send me to Hell for not believing?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Who is forcing you to hold certain beliefs?

That aside, I believe that we all end up in God's love, and that for some of us it is bliss and for others torment...

timjamz

God isn't some mystical and magical being up in the clouds somewhere with an address called "heaven," no more than "hell" is a place to go.

God is love, and heaven is living in a state of loving. Hell is when we're separated from God via "sin" (aka not doing things out of a spirit of love).

So, to answer your question -- God can't send you to hell, but you can choose to live there whenever you like.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Its hard to say why I don't believe in something. I guess because I've seen no evidence of God.
Ahh. Such is the fate of many Britons today, sadly. :(
I suppose it depends, as well, what you percieve "God" to be. Some beardy man in the sky? Or something else?

HoldemDB9

This question gets asked a lot and I always give the same answer- I am not God so I don't know.

But I asked what you believe.

Ahh. Such is the fate of many Britons today, sadly. :(
I suppose it depends, as well, what you percieve "God" to be. Some beardy man in the sky? Or something else?

I don't see God as some beardy man in the sky. If God exists I think he would be how most religions describe him to be, except from the evil parts.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't see God as some beardy man in the sky.
Ah, good - you don't have to swallow common sense to believe in God, then :D
If God exists I think he would be how most religions describe him to be, except from the evil parts.
Hmm, evil parts?
And why do you believe that God would be like how most religions describe him? That's a pretty solid belief imo - much more certain than mine..!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There is a parable in the NT about a rich man who ignored a poor, starving man in front of his gate. That rich man separated himself from God by being cruel. It did not say that the rich man believed or didn't believe in God, though.

HoldemDB9

Hmm, evil parts?

Yes, evil parts. For example, take Christianity - Apparently people are sent to Hell for something which was not their fault or choice. I'm sure there are other evil things that the Christian God apparently does. I don't know much about other religions, but I'm almost certain that their God will also have certain evil aspects.

And why do you believe that God would be like how most religions describe him? That's a pretty solid belief imo - much more certain than mine..!

I just mean that I believe God will be how almost everyone believes him to be. He can do anything, he is loving, he is fair, etc. There's nothing "certain" about my belief of what God would be like.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yes, evil parts. For example, take Christianity - Apparently people are sent to Hell for something which was not their fault or choice.
Ahh, good old Hell.

Hell is a misunderstanding of "Gehenna" and "Sheol" (Hades being the Greek for Sheol). Gehenna means "Valley of Hinnom" and was a local rubbish dump. Sheol means "the grave". The Lake of Fire is a common one later on, but Revelation sums it up with "the lake of fire is the second death". Unfortunately, it's been taken to be a literal place...where people shall suffer forever. But fortunately, I find no such thing anywhere.

So Jesus said things such as "the wicked shall be thrown into Gehenna" = the wicked shall be destroyed.

So, don't worry about it. People won't be burning forever and ever in pain and agony with God putting marshmallows on them. I wouldn't follow a God who was evil and some machoist who was intent on killing people based on a game of Russian roulette.

I'm sure there are other evil things that the Christian God apparently does. I don't know much about other religions, but I'm almost certain that their God will also have certain evil aspects.
Look at Islam's God. They believe he DOES send people to Hell forever, it's in the Qur'an, and it ain't no mistranslation and misunderstanding of Hell.

I just mean that I believe God will be how almost everyone believes him to be. He can do anything, he is loving, he is fair, etc. There's nothing "certain" about my belief of what God would be like.
Yes, God is love.

The most important question, friend, is do you want to find God? If so, I think you shall.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
You say you can't choose your beliefs. Can you choose your own actions?
That's an interesting interplay, isn't it, Luna?
I'm trying to think through the notion of belief and choice. Many here have asserted that beliefs are not a choice. It seems to me that ultimately all actions are based on belief (not necessarily religious beliefs in this context). ... IF we can't choose our beliefs, does it follow that we can't choose our actions either?
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/philosophy/62746-actions-belief-free-will.html