• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Do you believe in Hell?

Christians: Do you believe in a literal hell?

• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What do you expect God to do about it?
Nothing. I am not an atheist. ;)
I was just pointing out the logical inconsistency.
The Holy Spirit is within you. There is an account in Acts where Luke tell of the execution of the Hellenist Stephen, just before he is killed he has a vision of God and Jesus at his right side, the Holy Spirit is at his side, in Stephen himself.
I do not believe that the Holy Spirit lives inside of physical bodies. I also do not believe the Holy Spirit is a Person.

This is what I believe about the Holy Spirit: 25: THE HOLY SPIRIT
Love is a gift, God's self gift, its purely your choice to accept or not.
That is the belief, I know, but I do not believe it is a choice 'everyone' can make.

It is a belief of my religion that if we don't love God, God's love cannot reach us.
Something about that does not seem quite right. Love cannot be forced or willed.

3: O SON OF MAN! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.

4: O SON OF MAN! I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.”

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4

nPeace

Veteran Member
I reckon it is Hades, or Sheol. Where people go when they did until that final day of judgement.
Okay. We can start here, since this allows for common ground.
Sheol (Hebrew) and Hades (Greek) mean the same thing, and it is the place of the dead... until the final day of judgement, can be connected with John 5:28, 29.
Is that okay?

There are many interpretations given for these words, but can we know which is correct?
I believe we can. What do you think?

If you were to look at John 5:28, 29 in the Greek, you would notice that the Greek word μνημεῖον (mnémeion) means memorial, monument.
Most translations render this as graves, or tombs.
However, do you think that conveys the writers' message accurately?
If you translated the text, how would you render it?

Can we agree so far though, that the dead will come out from where they are, according to John 5:28, 29, and Revelation 20:13,14, and these agree?
Can we also agree that they come out via a resurrection?

I imagine that the lake of fire becomes a new hell. But I don’t know
Many people imagine this because they have been taught from childhood in mainstream religions, that the wicked will be tormented in hellfire.

However, the lake of fire is not said to be an actual lake of fire, but is symbolically used to represent the second death.
Why second death? There is a first death - Adamic death, where we die from sin passed on by Adam.
So the second death would be the final death.
This is actually supported scripturally. 2 Thessalonians 1:9
2 Thessalonians 1:9 They will suffer the penalty of eternal destruction, separated from the presence of the Lord and the glory of His might,

Again, see the Greek words eternal destruction / death.

Can we agree, then that the concept of hell and the lake of fire being a place of eternal torment in fire, is based on what we were taught about hell, but it is not found in scripture... Rather, the Bible describes death - a first, and a second?

Clara Tea

Seems to me that the belief in hell is waning among Christians. I wanted to make a poll asking Christians if they believe in a literal hell.
I believe in hell. I’ve believed in reincarnation for a while, because I didn’t want to believe in hell. I had past memories, but I understand that there can be other explanations other than reincarnation for what I remember and experienced.
It is a heavy weight, believing in hell. To believe that the majority of your friends will burn forever is distressing. I don’t feel safe from the hellfire due to the guilt I carry. I chose to let go of that belief for several years. I was rereading the book of Enoch which I believe to be inspired. It goes into some detail of the after life. It describes Hades and has the typical Christian resurrection theology. If I am a literalist, it seems i can’t believe in reincarnation, rather, I must believe in eternal damnation.
Any literalists who don’t believe in hell? I know that the more popular belief is that of the non literalist interpretation of the Bible. If you don’t interpret it literally, is that how come you don’t believe in hell? I don’t want to believe in hell. It’s terrible

The Religious Right doesn't believe in God nor Heaven, nor Christ, nor Jesus, nor hell. If they did, they wouldn't tolerate whimsical wars (defying God's commandment to not kill).

Reverend Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker don't believe in God, or they would have taken the donations to starving Africans and

They do believe in "liberal hell" (not "literal hell.") That's when liberals are in office. Gays get rights, wars are ended, torture camps break up, guns are restricted to hunting rifles in hunting areas,

Christians are waning because they are told, by their religious leaders, to defy God (fight wars, destroy the environment for profit).

Psalm23

I believe in a hell but the exact nature of it I am unsure on. I used to believe strongly in a literal fire and brimstone hell. Now I believe it could be a different kind that has degrees of punishment. A literal fire for all in hell would seem to imply the same degree of punishment. I don't see how that would be just.

Psalm23

The Religious Right doesn't believe in God nor Heaven, nor Christ, nor Jesus, nor hell. If they did, they wouldn't tolerate whimsical wars (defying God's commandment to not kill).

Reverend Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker don't believe in God, or they would have taken the donations to starving Africans and

They do believe in "liberal hell" (not "literal hell.") That's when liberals are in office. Gays get rights, wars are ended, torture camps break up, guns are restricted to hunting rifles in hunting areas,

Christians are waning because they are told, by their religious leaders, to defy God (fight wars, destroy the environment for profit).

I am pro gay rights. Torture camps are horrible and I would love for wars to end and there be true peace. I believe in the right to arms and also restrictions in order to make it difficult for people who would use it wrongly.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Are you saying that atheists cannot love? This is not what I have seen or experienced.
No. While one still lives one can respond to grace. It is at death when the definitive choice is made. Or rather, confirmed. If one dies saying 'no' to God, then and only then will God (who is love itself)
withdraw that person's access to grace. Only then will a person be denied the means to see God and thus be left to forever wallow in the darkness of God's absence.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No. While one still lives one can respond to grace. It is at death when the definitive choice is made. Or rather, confirmed. If one dies saying 'no' to God, then and only then will God (who is love itself)
withdraw that person's access to grace. Only then will that person be denied the means to see God and be left forever to wallow in the darkness that person has chosen.
I do not know what scriptures you are basing this upon but I do not believe it is that cut and dry, and I have known Christians who agree with me, that God can allow into heaven anyone He wants to, by His bounty, not by His justice.

My belief on that is as follows:

“It is even possible that the condition of those who have died in sin and unbelief may become changed—that is to say, they may become the object of pardon through the bounty of God, not through His justice—for bounty is giving without desert, and justice is giving what is deserved. As we have power to pray for these souls here, so likewise we shall possess the same power in the other world, which is the Kingdom of God. Are not all the people in that world the creatures of God? Therefore, in that world also they can make progress. As here they can receive light by their supplications, there also they can plead for forgiveness and receive light through entreaties and supplications. Thus as souls in this world, through the help of the supplications, the entreaties and the prayers of the holy ones, can acquire development, so is it the same after death. Through their own prayers and supplications they can also progress, more especially when they are the object of the intercession of the Holy Manifestations.”
Some Answered Questions, p. 232

InChrist

Free4ever
Seems to me that the belief in hell is waning among Christians. I wanted to make a poll asking Christians if they believe in a literal hell.
I believe in hell. I’ve believed in reincarnation for a while, because I didn’t want to believe in hell. I had past memories, but I understand that there can be other explanations other than reincarnation for what I remember and experienced.
It is a heavy weight, believing in hell. To believe that the majority of your friends will burn forever is distressing. I don’t feel safe from the hellfire due to the guilt I carry. I chose to let go of that belief for several years. I was rereading the book of Enoch which I believe to be inspired. It goes into some detail of the after life. It describes Hades and has the typical Christian resurrection theology. If I am a literalist, it seems i can’t believe in reincarnation, rather, I must believe in eternal damnation.
Any literalists who don’t believe in hell? I know that the more popular belief is that of the non literalist interpretation of the Bible. If you don’t interpret it literally, is that how come you don’t believe in hell? I don’t want to believe in hell. It’s terrible
I believe in a literal state of eternal damnation/ lake of fire, though I don’t think it is physical fire...

“The rich man in hell was "tormented in this flame." He begged Abraham to send Lazarus to "dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue..." (Luke:16:23-25). Were the flames in hell and the thirst that tormented the rich man real? Certainly. Were they physical? How could that be the case? Only the rich man's soul and spirit were in hell; his dead body was in the grave. He had no tongue in hell. Could physical flames affect soul and spirit, and could soul and spirit have physical thirst?
Did the rich man in hell need physicalwater? It would not have done his soul and spirit any good. The unbearable thirst that tormented him was because at the heart of all of his sin was his rejection of the water of life that Christ offered. He would suffer eternally from the painful guilt of that rejection and the weight of his sins.”

Dave Hunt Addresses the 'Fire of Hell' Controversy

Colt

The wages of sin is death, not resurrection into torment where God keeps the unsaved on life support so he can torture them for an eternity.

God could never be both good and so evil at the same time. That should be obvious.

GardenLady

It's very difficult for me to choose a yes or no answer. Do I believe in a literal lake of fire? No. Nor do I believe in eternal torment. I think it's a metaphor. I think the same thing (metaphor) about heaven having streets paved with gold.

I do think, though, that there is such as thing as permanent and total separation from God. I don't think this occurs by accident, but is a choice. I have heard an evangelical or Pentecostal preacher or three talk about people who think they know God or think their faith is true but are wrong and will end up in hell. While I'm personally a Christian, I do not in any way believe that our dear friend who was a faithful and sincere Conservative Jew ended up in any place that might be called hell.

AdamjEdgar

My religion also teaches that separation from God is hell, so I might be in big trouble in the afterlife even though I have accepted Jesus and I do not sin

Yikes! What denomination are you a member of? The Bible doesn't teach that we do not sin. It teaches the exact opposite..."all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God".

That means we not only have sinned, but continue to do so.
We are not saved because we of our own doing don't sin anymore. We are saved because Jesus paid the price for sin..."the wages of sin is death."

The OP question here makes a fundamental assumption that I believe is false. The Bible theme consistently describes the complete destruction and erasing of all sin from the earth and heavens.

I ask, how can evil and suffering (hell) continue to exist if the Bible theme is all about complete erasure of sin and suffering? Very few Christians really consider the logic of this...the mainstream view of a literal hell full of evil people being tortured for ever doesn't fit the theme of the Bible. Read Revelation 21...it says there will be no more suffering, no more tears...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yikes! What denomination are you a member of? The Bible doesn't teach that we do not sin. It teaches the exact opposite..."all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God".
When I said that I do not sin I meant that I do not commit any sins, but technically speaking I am a sinner according to my religion.

I am a Baha'i and we also believe that we all fall short of the glory of God, and we are all sinners but we do not believe we are sinners for the same reason that Christians believe we are sinners since do not believe in original sin.

Baha’i believers claim that the nature of human is basically spiritual and good. A quote that is taken from their web site is saying human nature is basically good. Baha’u’llah declared that our true identities reside in our eternal souls.

Baha’i teachings says that the sole purpose of every human soul is to have knowledge about God and to love Him. The Bahai believers do not abide in original sin in the original sin doctrine instead, they teaching and believe that each person can have the choice to use his or her the divine attributes in his or her life.

Christianity also has a teaching called “original sin”, which the Baha’i clearly rejects. Original sin happened because of the first sin of the first created one, Adam. All humans transgressed, and this sinful nature of men has been handed down through generations. The Christian Bible teaches that no human being is righteous, and that we all fall short of God’s glory.

Read more: Difference Between Bahai and Christianity | Difference Between Difference Between Bahai and Christianity | Difference Between

From a Baha'i website:

In the Bahá’í Writings, sin could be defined as anything that the Concourse on High might find averse:

Say: It behoveth every one that holdeth fast to the hem of Our Robe to be untainted by anything from which the Concourse on high may be averse. Thus hath it been decreed by thy Lord, the All-Glorious, in this His perspicuous Tablet. (Baha’u’llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, p. 307)

Or might take us away from His love:

Say: Set ye aside My love, and commit what grieveth Mine heart? What is it that hindereth you from comprehending what hath been revealed unto you by Him Who is the All-Knowing, the All-Wise? (Baha’u’llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, p. 307)

Every minute of every day we all think, do and say things that are in direct contradiction of the life God wants us to live.

I can’t think of a single person who lives a life in which their:
  • Only mention is of God
  • Only praise is of God
  • Only delight is in God’s nearness
  • Only pleasure is in communing with God
Yet this is the standard we’re to strive for; and anything less is disobedience and sin.

We are all sinners:

‘Abdu’l-Bahá tells us:

We are all sinners, and Thou art the Forgiver of sins, the Merciful, the Compassionate. (Abdu’l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 176)

This teaching is incredibly liberating when we understand it. It means God knows that we’re going to fall short. It’s just a given.

It’s nothing to shy away from or pretend doesn’t exist. When we can acknowledge this truth about ourselves; and about others, we can make true progress towards healing and forgiveness.

I’m a sinner; you’re a sinner; we’re all sinners; and it’s all part of God’s creation and design.

What Does The Bahá’í Faith Teach About Sin?
That means we not only have sinned, but continue to do so.
We are not saved because we of our own doing don't sin anymore. We are saved because Jesus paid the price for sin..."the wages of sin is death."
Baha'is believe that Jesus sacrificed Himself for our sins:

“Know thou that when the Son of Man yielded up His breath to God, the whole creation wept with a great weeping. By sacrificing Himself, however, a fresh capacity was infused into all created things...... Through Him, the unchaste and wayward were healed. Through His power, born of Almighty God, the eyes of the blind were opened, and the soul of the sinner sanctified.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 85-86

But Baha'is do not believe that the cross sacrifice was sufficient for us to no longer be a sinner. We also have to make an effort to improve ourselves and live life that is pleasing to God, as noted above.
The OP question here makes a fundamental assumption that I believe is false. The Bible theme consistently describes the complete destruction and erasing of all sin from the earth and heavens.

I ask, how can evil and suffering (hell) continue to exist if the Bible theme is all about complete erasure of sin and suffering? Very few Christians really consider the logic of this...the mainstream view of a literal hell full of evil people being tortured for ever doesn't fit the theme of the Bible. Read Revelation 21...it says there will be no more suffering, no more tears...
I do not believe there will ever be complete erasure of sin and suffering. I believe there will always be suffering in this world because this material world is is the primary cause of suffering. However, I believe that sin will be much less in the future because a new race of men will emerge: New Race of Men

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I believe in hell but do not fear it.
Because all it takes is to confess your mortal sins before you die.
Therefore why should you be afraid of hell?