• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Do you believe in Hell?

Christians: Do you believe in a literal hell?

• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Seems to me that the belief in hell is waning among Christians. I wanted to make a poll asking Christians if they believe in a literal hell.
I believe in hell. I’ve believed in reincarnation for a while, because I didn’t want to believe in hell. I had past memories, but I understand that there can be other explanations other than reincarnation for what I remember and experienced.
It is a heavy weight, believing in hell. To believe that the majority of your friends will burn forever is distressing. I don’t feel safe from the hellfire due to the guilt I carry. I chose to let go of that belief for several years. I was rereading the book of Enoch which I believe to be inspired. It goes into some detail of the after life. It describes Hades and has the typical Christian resurrection theology. If I am a literalist, it seems i can’t believe in reincarnation, rather, I must believe in eternal damnation.
Any literalists who don’t believe in hell? I know that the more popular belief is that of the non literalist interpretation of the Bible. If you don’t interpret it literally, is that how come you don’t believe in hell? I don’t want to believe in hell. It’s terrible

RestlessSoul

The mind is it’s own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n.

- John Milton, Paradise Lost

I believe, like Milton who knew a thing or two about suffering, that we make our own hell, right here on earth. And we can begin to leave it at anytime, by surrendering ourselves to God’s love and mercy. I absolutely don’t believe in a place of everlasting torment, and see nothing in the Gospels which supports such an idea. Fire needs fuel, after all, it can’t burn forever.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The idea that God would allow a person to be irrevocably severed from His grace is an awful prospect. To be forever denied the sight of God and the direct experience of His love is the worst thing that could happen to a human being. Nevertheless, I don't doubt that at least some will choose to reject God. To choose eternal darkness over the eternal light because sin has rendered them incapable of countenancing that light. A person who spends a long time in a dark room is blinded by sunlight. Likewise, a person who spends a lifetime in obstinate sin will not tolerate to look at the light of God.

In a sense, Hell is a mercy. God will not force Himself on those who do not want Him. Even though by rejecting Him, the human soul loses its capacity for love. Which is why Hell necessarily leaves a soul in an unchangeable state of suffering.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not a Christian, but as an outsider, I'd like to comment on the fact that the question is asked. I don't recall hearing or reading Christians questioning literal hell until the last two or three decades, and I don't recall seeing answers like "Hell is being separated from God," "You go to heaven if saved and into eternal unconsciousness if not," or "God doesn't send you to hell, you send yourself" until more recently. I interpret this as a test of gradual moving away from traditional hell theology, the reason being that the church is struggling to remain appealing and relevant in a world that finds much of Christian dogma off-putting, including a deity that tortures in the extreme.

Nobody is asking if Christians believe in heaven. Why not? If one is questionable, why not both? The answer seems to be that the idea of heaven is appealing, so no problem there and no need to experiment with altering doctrine. If one views heaven and hell as the carrot and the stick, at least one of these must remain, or what's the incentive to be a Christian or to obey God's commandments?

Giving up hell would be a gamble, but if it is costing church membership, it may be necessary, along with dampening other off-putting aspects of the religion such as its antiscientism and homophobia. The church can do without those, but how will it fare if it gives up hell as it has usually been taught. That depends on how much of church dependence depends on the fear of damnation as opposed to the allure of heaven. In other words, if one is considering refusing Pascal's Wager, it's easier to do if the stakes of losing drop to the possible loss of heaven alone without risking the threat of hellfire.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm not a Christian, but as an outsider, I'd like to comment on the fact that the question is asked. I don't recall hearing or reading Christians questioning literal hell until the last two or three decades, and I don't recall seeing answers like "Hell is being separated from God," "You go to heaven if saved and into eternal unconsciousness if not," or "God doesn't send you to hell, you send yourself" until more recently. I interpret this as a test of gradual moving away from traditional hell theology, the reason being that the church is struggling to remain appealing and relevant in a world that finds much of Christian dogma off-putting, including a deity that tortures in the extreme.

Nobody is asking if Christians believe in heaven. Why not? If one is questionable, why not both? The answer seems to be that the idea of heaven is appealing, so no problem there and no need to experiment with altering doctrine. If one views heaven and hell as the carrot and the stick, at least one of these must remain, or what's the incentive to be a Christian or to obey God's commandments?

Giving up hell would be a gamble, but if it is costing church membership, it may be necessary, along with dampening other off-putting aspects of the religion such as its antiscientism and homophobia. The church can do without those, but how will it fare if it gives up hell as it has usually been taught. That depends on how much of church dependence depends on the fear of damnation as opposed to the allure of heaven. In other words, if one is considering refusing Pascal's Wager, it's easier to do if the stakes of losing drop to the possible loss of heaven alone without risking the threat of hellfire.
Perhaps it is more about the circles you may have been around.

I think the last paragraph is more about a mantra than reality.

But that is what makes America... America. Differences in viewpoints.

pearl

1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."

RestlessSoul

Always better to focus on reward than punishment, don't you think?

Suave

Simulated character
Seems to me that the belief in hell is waning among Christians. I wanted to make a poll asking Christians if they believe in a literal hell.
I believe in hell. I’ve believed in reincarnation for a while, because I didn’t want to believe in hell. I had past memories, but I understand that there can be other explanations other than reincarnation for what I remember and experienced.
It is a heavy weight, believing in hell. To believe that the majority of your friends will burn forever is distressing. I don’t feel safe from the hellfire due to the guilt I carry. I chose to let go of that belief for several years. I was rereading the book of Enoch which I believe to be inspired. It goes into some detail of the after life. It describes Hades and has the typical Christian resurrection theology. If I am a literalist, it seems i can’t believe in reincarnation, rather, I must believe in eternal damnation.
Any literalists who don’t believe in hell? I know that the more popular belief is that of the non literalist interpretation of the Bible. If you don’t interpret it literally, is that how come you don’t believe in hell? I don’t want to believe in hell. It’s terrible
I have considered the notion of there being a simulator ( a.k.a.-God ) who will reanimate non-Christians whom God will punish for having rejected Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savor. So then, even if the chance of a literal Hell reserved for non Christians is very minute, the best course of action for everybody is to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What do you believe hell to be?
If hell is a place of eternal torment, how could that be reconciled with Revelation 20:13-15?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Honestly, I am not suffering any inconvenience because of that.

Ciao

- viole
Neither am I.
I don't feel God's love but I don't think we can know what we are missing if we don't know what we are missing. ;)

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."
With all due respect, I don't see anything to accept. Where is God and where is God's love?
It is written in a Book so people imagine it is real, but I don't feel it at all.
Maybe it's there but I don't feel it at all.

If God is so loving, why is there so much suffering in this world? This does not comport with logic.

I do not believe it is a free choice to love God, as love cannot be forced.

My religion also teaches that separation from God is hell, so I might be in big trouble in the afterlife even though I have accepted Jesus and I do not sin.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God will not force Himself on those who do not want Him. Even though by rejecting Him, the human soul loses its capacity for love.
Are you saying that atheists cannot love? This is not what I have seen or experienced.
In fact, I have received more compassion from atheists than from believers.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, I believe in heaven, hell and also a realm of purification (the Catholics call it purgatory and the Orthodox have a similar concept but not called that).

nPeace

Veteran Member
Being cast into an eternal lake of fire sounds like hell to me. Is there something I’m missing?
Evidently.
Hell is casted into hell?

Revelation 20:13-15
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Also the Bible identifies the lake of fire as the second death... not hell.
What is hell? You didn't say.

pearl

If God is so loving, why is there so much suffering in this world? This does not comport with logic.

What do you expect God to do about it?

Where is God and where is God's love?

The Holy Spirit is within you. There is an account in Acts where Luke tell of the execution of the Hellenist Stephen, just before he is killed he has a vision of God and Jesus at his right side, the Holy Spirit is at his side, in Stephen himself.

I do not believe it is a free choice to love God, as love cannot be forced.

Love is a gift, God's self gift, its purely your choice to accept or not.