• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CHRISTIANS: Did you know that the Jewish Talmud says that Jesus is in hell boiling in excrement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the name of the Most High God. I bear witness that there is no God but the Most High God.

Peace be unto you.

Christian Brother & Sister believers in the Most High God, I was listening to a lecture that discussed Judaism, and the speaker said that the Jewish Talmud says that Jesus is in hell boiling in excrement. Did you know that the Talmud said that? I looked it up on line and found it at Wikipedia.org @ Jesus in the Talmud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Peace be unto you.
Bro. Yahyaa Waahid

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Boiled in excrement – In Gittin 56b, 57a[70] a story is mentioned in which Onkelos summons up the spirit of a Yeshu who sought to harm Israel. He describes his punishment in the afterlife as boiling in excrement.[71][72]

of a Yeshu.

"Another explanation given is that the name "Yeshu" is actually an acronym for the formula (ימח שמו וזכרו(נו (Y'mach Sh'mo V'Zichro(no)) meaning "may his name and memory be obliterated". The earliest known example of this theory comes from medieval Toldoth Yeshu narratives."

Source: Yeshu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if this was not the case, it's still a "Yeshu" (Joshua). Not necessarily "the Jesus".

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It is a rather debated subject as to who this Jesus actually is. Jesus was a common name, and thus we see it quite often. Many scholars reject the idea that Jesus is mentioned in the Talmud.

outhouse

Atheistically
In the name of the Most High God. I bear witness that there is no God but the Most High God.

Peace be unto you.

Christian Brother & Sister believers in the Most High God, I was listening to a lecture that discussed Judaism, and the speaker said that the Jewish Talmud says that Jesus is in hell boiling in excrement. Did you know that the Talmud said that? I looked it up on line and found it at Wikipedia.org @ Jesus in the Talmud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Peace be unto you.
Bro. Yahyaa Waahid

:slap:

Your motives are clear here. I personally dislike what your trying to do.

The message however is highly plausible since this character is viewed as a false messiah and as causing anti Semitism against Jews.

Lets talk about your prophets and deity, instead of picking on someone else's.

Your throwing rocks in a thin glass house. :facepalm:

Levite

Higher and Higher
Technically, it says that he was punished in Gehinnom that way-- nobody stays in Gehinnom permanently, it's not really a Hell so much as a Purgatory.

Second of all, it's a midrash-- a parable. It's not Jewish dogma or doctrine-- just a story. Most Jews today have probably never even heard that midrash, and if they did, they certainly wouldn't approve of it, much less take it literally.

Third of all, it was written at a time when Jews were being fiercely oppressed by the newly Christian Roman empire. When you don't have any power to actually defend yourself, writing polemical parables is about all you can do.

And finally, is there some reason that you choose to quote this polemical midrash, rather than any of the actual laws and doctrines that laud righteous gentiles, and seek to promote good relations between Jews and non-Jews? Or is the reason what appears to be self-evident?

I find it interesting that this thread is being posted by someone with an apparently Muslim screen name: one would think that a Muslim would know better, considering how rightly irate Muslims get when non-Muslims quote problematic passages of Quran or other Muslim teachings out of context and without full understanding, in obvious attempts to provoke anti-Islamic prejudice from others.

Last edited:

Awoon

Peace be unto you.

Peace be unto you.
Bro. Yahyaa Waahid

Who went there took pictures and came back of him and the excrement?

InChrist

Free4ever
I think a thread like this is motivated by anti-Semitism and reminds me of the kinds of things holocaust deniers and Israel identity groups try to highlight.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Peace be unto you.

Peace be unto you.
Bro. Yahyaa Waahid

does that surprise you?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Does the OP wish to discuss the importance of midrash to the Jewish faith and the various interpretations? Or is the purpose simply to spread dissent between the three main Abrahamic faiths?

Peace be unto you indeed.

Flankerl

So what? Even if its about the false Prophet named Jesus ever since Christians became the dominant Religion in the Roman Empire our people faced blatant hate and oppression from the followers of the false Prophet named Jesus till the mid 20th century.

A small midrash that could be about him isnt even close to this.

But then again Christian doctrine is pretty clear that Jews who dont believe in the false Prophet named Jesus as their messiah burn in hell for all eternity.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Peace be unto you.

Peace be unto you.
Bro. Yahyaa Waahid
Who cares? So ancient Jews who were persecuted during the Roman era chose to take a literary shot at a Roman savior or at least written during times of tension between Jews and Christians, who along with the Pagan population wrote enough mocking parody about each other to fill hundreds of threads. This wasn't even written in Jewish scripture or dogma, but a short paragraph written by one person out of countless of Jewish authors which the vast majority of Jews never heard about.

I would be more concerned with 2000 year old Christian dogmas that portray the Jews as a demonic race, or with centuries of actual and physical Christian persecution against innocent Jews. As a Muslim you should also be concerned with Muslim religious texts that vilify Jews and Christians.

If a person is offended by what an obscure person wrote about his prophet or savior thousands of years ago, here's a piece of advice: Get over it. Not everyone worships what you worship, not everyone even respects what you worship. And this piece of text proves that this has been the case for thousands of years. Pagans hated Christians, who hated Jews, etc. ad infinitum. During those days the people of the different groups took on to much political mockery at each other, sometimes in the form of literature.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
But then again Christian doctrine is pretty clear that Jews who dont believe in the false Prophet named Jesus as their messiah burn in hell for all eternity.
That's incorrect. While some denominations believe this to be true, Christian doctrine as a whole does not state such. Many Christians in fact believe that Jews will go to heaven for a variety of reasons, from Jews being God's chosen, to Jesus having forgiven everyone sins, to the rejection of an idea of hell.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That's incorrect. While some denominations believe this to be true, Christian doctrine as a whole does not state such. Many Christians in fact believe that Jews will go to heaven for a variety of reasons, from Jews being God's chosen, to Jesus having forgiven everyone sins, to the rejection of an idea of hell.
Or annihilationism like JWs. :)

Hawkins

That's actually part of the reason why Jesus' resurrection is planned and witnessed. It's because you need God's permit in order to return from Hades. And if He got the permit from God to return back, He must be from God, as no one else has the power to resurrect a dead person from Hades.

Boiled in excrement – In Gittin 56b, 57a[70] a story is mentioned in which Onkelos summons up the spirit of a Yeshu who sought to harm Israel. He describes his punishment in the afterlife as boiling in excrement.[71][72]

of a Yeshu.

"Another explanation given is that the name "Yeshu" is actually an acronym for the formula (ימח שמו וזכרו(נו (Y'mach Sh'mo V'Zichro(no)) meaning "may his name and memory be obliterated". The earliest known example of this theory comes from medieval Toldoth Yeshu narratives."

Source: Yeshu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if this was not the case, it's still a "Yeshu" (Joshua). Not necessarily "the Jesus".

The article (Jesus in the Talmud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) says that Yeshu is Hebrew for JESUS.

:slap:

Your motives are clear here. I personally dislike what your trying to do.

The message however is highly plausible since this character is viewed as a false messiah and as causing anti Semitism against Jews.

Lets talk about your prophets and deity, instead of picking on someone else's.

Your throwing rocks in a thin glass house. :facepalm:

LOL. Your imagination is running away with you...my only motive was to expose Christians to this Talmudic assertion about Jesus. I'm not picking on anyone; as a Sabian, my God is the same God as the God of Israel.

Peace.

Technically, it says that he was punished in Gehinnom that way-- nobody stays in Gehinnom permanently, it's not really a Hell so much as a Purgatory.

Second of all, it's a midrash-- a parable. It's not Jewish dogma or doctrine-- just a story. Most Jews today have probably never even heard that midrash, and if they did, they certainly wouldn't approve of it, much less take it literally.

Third of all, it was written at a time when Jews were being fiercely oppressed by the newly Christian Roman empire. When you don't have any power to actually defend yourself, writing polemical parables is about all you can do.

And finally, is there some reason that you choose to quote this polemical midrash, rather than any of the actual laws and doctrines that laud righteous gentiles, and seek to promote good relations between Jews and non-Jews? Or is the reason what appears to be self-evident?

I find it interesting that this thread is being posted by someone with an apparently Muslim screen name: one would think that a Muslim would know better, considering how rightly irate Muslims get when non-Muslims quote problematic passages of Quran or other Muslim teachings out of context and without full understanding, in obvious attempts to provoke anti-Islamic prejudice from others.

LOL...well you may be ASSuming about my motives. My only motive is to expose Christians to this Talmudic assertion about Jesus. Lol the chips can fall wherever they fall after that. And you shouldn't lie about what the Talmud says about "Goyim" (non-Jews.) Here is a link about what the Talmud says about Goyim: Jewish Talmudic Quotes - Facts Are Facts .

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.