• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians desperate approach

Doc

Space Chief
To spread the Good News does not mean you have to stand on street corners to get everyone's attention and force your beliefs in them. After a long discussion once, my dad taught me how you can spread your Christian values on to others no matter what beliefs they hold true. My dad, since he is an accountant, has also taught us the values of honesty and showed us how greed had corrupted places like Enron and other book cookers. He said that anyone you come in contact with during the day that has trouble or has errored. To point out we should always do the right thing and go with an honest heart. We can hide our messages with anyone of any faiths. And they would not be offended in any ways. I think that bringing in good secualar and socially accepted values into the work and family environment is in a sense spreading the gospel.

SoulTYPE

Doc said:
To spread the Good News does not mean you have to stand on street corners to get everyone's attention and force your beliefs in them. After a long discussion once, my dad taught me how you can spread your Christian values on to others no matter what beliefs they hold true. My dad, since he is an accountant, has also taught us the values of honesty and showed us how greed had corrupted places like Enron and other book cookers. He said that anyone you come in contact with during the day that has trouble or has errored. To point out we should always do the right thing and go with an honest heart. We can hide our messages with anyone of any faiths. And they would not be offended in any ways. I think that bringing in good secualar and socially accepted values into the work and family environment is in a sense spreading the gospel.
All of the above is true. But what is the resemblence of the accountant part?

Dadball

Let’s say I saw you in the road, and you had broken your foot, and could not move. Now let’s say I saw a truck was speeding down the road toward you, and if you did not move from the road, you would be crushed and die. The decent thing to do is to help you to safety.

As a believer in Christ, I know you are broken in spirit, because I know that I was you. I know that you are dying. We are human, flesh and bones, given to our strengths and weakness. I sinned, and because I sin, I was separated from God. Seeing that you are about to be crushed defeated by death, and because I love you, I will try to pull you to safety. Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matt 22:34-40

Have you every seen the sign at sporting events “John 3:16”? This is from the New Testament that states "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” This is the foundation of our belief. That Christ died for our sin, and when we die (physically), we will have eternal (spiritual) life with our Heavenly Father. Through his “Passion” (suffering), Christ saved me from my sin and death.

We obey Jesus’ teachings because we love him and the one who sent him. John 14:23

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matt 28 18:20

The Jews (circumcised) were believed to be the chosen people, and everyone else Gentiles (uncircumcised) were not. “God so loved the world” and “make disciples of all nations”. This is one of the biblical reason Christians want to tell people the “Good News” of Christ.

huajiro

Dadball said:
Let’s say I saw you in the road, and you had broken your foot, and could not move. Now let’s say I saw a truck was speeding down the road toward you, and if you did not move from the road, you would be crushed and die. The decent thing to do is to help you to safety.

As a believer in Christ, I know you are broken in spirit, because I know that I was you. I know that you are dying. We are human, flesh and bones, given to our strengths and weakness. I sinned, and because I sin, I was separated from God. Seeing that you are about to be crushed defeated by death, and because I love you, I will try to pull you to safety. Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matt 22:34-40

Have you every seen the sign at sporting events “John 3:16”? This is from the New Testament that states "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” This is the foundation of our belief. That Christ died for our sin, and when we die (physically), we will have eternal (spiritual) life with our Heavenly Father. Through his “Passion” (suffering), Christ saved me from my sin and death.

We obey Jesus’ teachings because we love him and the one who sent him. John 14:23

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matt 28 18:20

The Jews (circumcised) were believed to be the chosen people, and everyone else Gentiles (uncircumcised) were not. “God so loved the world” and “make disciples of all nations”. This is one of the biblical reason Christians want to tell people the “Good News” of Christ.
I repeat "how dare you?":tsk: I am so sick of Christians acting like their's is the true religion. None of us know. They fact that I use my brain a little bit more, and am not willing to just jump at any religion that comes my way makes someone think that I am damned? HOW DARE YOU????

linwood

Yes and I would be much appreciative but when you are disrupting my life trying to save me from "Imaginary" trucks I`m going to get a bit miffed after awhile.
When your friends start knowcking on my door warning about those imaginary trucks I get real upset.

As a believer in Christ, I know you are broken in spirit, because I know that I was you.
Ahh that lovely Christian ignor..arrogance.!!

Have you every seen the sign at sporting events “John 3:16”?
Yeah..can`t y`all even enjoy a football game without involving Jesus?
Whats up with that?

I think the disciples did that because the Jews weren`t buying it.
Air conditioners are a tough sell to Eskimos.
Now that was a great marketing ploy.

huajiro

linwood said:
Yes and I would be much appreciative but when you are disrupting my life trying to save me from "Imaginary" trucks I`m going to get a bit miffed after awhile.
When your friends start knowcking on my door warning about those imaginary trucks I get real upset.

Ahh that lovely Christian ignor..arrogance.!!

Yeah..can`t y`all even enjoy a football game without involving Jesus?
Whats up with that?

I think the disciples did that because the Jews weren`t buying it.
Air conditioners are a tough sell to Eskimos.
Now that was a great marketing ploy.
[/font]
All I can say is "ditto":jam:

Dadball

Soultype01

1 more thing, thank you for your question. It made me think about my answer, and I'd be happy to try to answer anymore.

Thanks,

Dadball

huajiro said:
I repeat "how dare you?":tsk: I am so sick of Christians acting like their's is the true religion. None of us know. They fact that I use my brain a little bit more, and am not willing to just jump at any religion that comes my way makes someone think that I am damned? HOW DARE YOU????
Huajiro,

I'm sorry if I offended you. My intent was to answer Soultype's question, not offend.

You are right, I don't know, I beleive, and have faith. I believe that Christ is the truth. If I was a Mulslim or a Jew, I would believe that the Quran or the Torah was the truth. Does a Muslim and beleive the Jew are God's People, and if they did, would they still be Muslim?

SoulTYPE

Dadball said:
Soultype01

It made me think about my answer, and I'd be happy to try to answer anymore.

Thanks,
Um, I did not understand the grammar, nor did I understand why you thanked me. But thanks anywyas.

Stay cool, man.

huajiro

Dadball said:
Huajiro,

I'm sorry if I offended you. My intent was to answer Soultype's question, not offend.

You are right, I don't know, I beleive, and have faith. I believe that Christ is the truth. If I was a Mulslim or a Jew, I would believe that the Quran or the Torah was the truth. Does a Muslim and beleive the Jew are God's People, and if they did, would they still be Muslim?
I have no problem with peopl'e beliefs, but when you tell me I am going to "Hell", I take great offense to that. I take more offense to that than I would someone telling me anything else, or striking me, or stabbing me, etc.

I take great offense to it because you are talking about the Afterlife, something we know absolutely nothing about. It is a scare tactic used by many Christians to get people to listen and they say it without thinking about what exactly they are saying to people.

anders

Do we live in different countries! During the 60+ years I have lived in Sweden, I have never, ever been approached by a proselytizing Christian. No sane person, if unknown to me, would try to start a discussion on religion. On average, there will be one pair of Jehova's Witnesses door-knocking in two to four years, but I don't consider them Christians. Another exception to the total absence of missionary endeavours of any kind would be the statistically rather improbable case of two door-knocking Mormons. I have experienced that twice in my life.

huajiro

anders said:
Do we live in different countries! During the 60+ years I have lived in Sweden, I have never, ever been approached by a proselytizing Christian. No sane person, if unknown to me, would try to start a discussion on religion. On average, there will be one pair of Jehova's Witnesses door-knocking in two to four years, but I don't consider them Christians. Another exception to the total absence of missionary endeavours of any kind would be the statistically rather improbable case of two door-knocking Mormons. I have experienced that twice in my life.
Why do you think this is the case?

Dadball

huajiro said:
I have no problem with peopl'e beliefs, but when you tell me I am going to "Hell", I take great offense to that. I take more offense to that than I would someone telling me anything else, or striking me, or stabbing me, etc.

I take great offense to it because you are talking about the Afterlife, something we know absolutely nothing about. It is a scare tactic used by many Christians to get people to listen and they say it without thinking about what exactly they are saying to people.
Huajiro,

When people (humans) are passionate about something, (in this case their beliefs), they can be zealous to point pushing someone away from Christ. If Christians say you are going to "hell" because you don't believe in Christ, Christ says turning someone away from him is worse. The Gospel is full of warnings to believers that they know better. I heard of a quote from Gandhi that said he would chose Christianity if it weren't from the Christians. Christians can't scare you to become a Christian; I can only give you a book or lead by example. You have to read that book or observe the behavior. The rest is up to God and you.

The truth, you and I are going to die. This is fact. Hopefully, it is many years from now. I believe that there is an afterlife. I can't prove it, but most religions believe something happens to your soul when you die. There are people who believe in ghosts, and said they have seen them. Some believe that you are reincarnated. So I guess there are 2 possibilities, 1) Your just dead and that's it or 2) you will move to the "Afterlife". I believe that through God's Grace and that Christ died for me, I will be with my heavenly father. That's assuming that I am right. If I am wrong, and there something other than what I believed, or that I'm just dead, I will still have peace and joy. I follow a teaching of love. Christ is love. I have been filled with love for everyone and everything around me. I have learned how to forgive and be forgiven, even by me. I don't worry nor am I anxious. I am guided by the truth that I am my brother’s keeper, and I put my brother before me. I serve others for the good it does for them, not what I can get out of it. Death does not scare me. I may be fat, dumb and happy, But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?

Peace

SoulTYPE

huajiro said:
And Christians are exactly the reason I am not a Christian.
If I had've said the same thing, I wouldn't be here today. Anyways, I am inclined to agree, but cannot comment further due to high risks of defamatory.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
huajiro said:
And Christians are exactly the reason I am not a Christian.
When Gandhi was asked why it was he was not Christian, is it said that he replied, "Because I never met one I wanted to be like."