• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians desperate approach

SoulTYPE

Okay. I just want to know why the Christian race is so desperate to convince others to believe in Christianity? Door knockings, street preachers, Christian websites, and mny other organizations/individuals. And why are they so forceful (not physically) in doing so. The doorknockers came here 6 times in 2 weeks, and did not want to leave until I had learnt God's first "lesson" or something. And why is THEIR way "right"? I had an old man approach me in the supermarket trying to force pamphlets into my hand. I just ripped thm up in front of him.

You don't see many Hindus or buddha's being so forceful.

Scary. Anyways, why do they do this. Are they desperate? I am sure there are Christians here willing to correct (or flame) me.

No offence to Christians, by the way.

huajiro

SoulTYPE01 said:
Okay. I just want to know why the Christian race is so desperate to convince others to believe in Christianity? Door knockings, street preachers, Christian websites, and mny other organizations/individuals. And why are they so forceful (not physically) in doing so. The doorknockers came here 6 times in 2 weeks, and did not want to leave until I had learnt God's first "lesson" or something. And why is THEIR way "right"? I had an old man approach me in the supermarket trying to force pamphlets into my hand. I just ripped thm up in front of him.

Scary. Anyways, why do they do this. Are they desperate? I am sure there are Christians here willing to correct (or flame) me.

No offence to Christians, by the way.
Churches are businesses, those guys were just door-to-door salesmen.

I once had a 2 hour discussion with two of them and finally asked, "do you think your pastor would keep preaching if no one gave him any offerings?".....they left a little ticked off. They had no answer, because it was really seen as necessary by them.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
SoulTYPE01 said:
Okay. I just want to know why the Christian race is so desperate to convince others to believe in Christianity?
Christianity is not a race, it is a religion.

Door knockings, street preachers, Christian websites, and mny other organizations/individuals. And why are they so forceful (not physically) in doing so. The doorknockers came here 6 times in 2 weeks, and did not want to leave until I had learnt God's first "lesson" or something. And why is THEIR way "right"? I had an old man approach me in the supermarket trying to force pamphlets into my hand. I just ripped thm up in front of him.
They believe they are called to spread the gospel. Also, not all Chirstians do this.

Eastern religions are generally most accepting of other religions being legitimate paths to God or the goal. Unfortunely, this is not an idea held by most Western religions.

SoulTYPE

Apart from correcting my mistake (sorry, was in a another forum), I do value your feedback, maize.

It just seems that it is a desperate approach. I am sure not all of the christians do it. Just the ones that do trouble me.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
SoulTYPE01 said:
It just seems that it is a desperate approach. I am sure not all of the christians do it. Just the ones that do trouble me.
Most who participate in this activity, would tell you their desparation is to save your soul. While this may be annoying to you and me, they are doing it as an act of love for us and to "bring us to God" as they understand it. Prehaps some of your frustration when this happens would disappear if you tried to understand why they do this. Talk to them, tell them your beliefs, but be respectful. If they start being forceful, then just excuse yourself and leave. That's my opinion anyway.

I had a JW that would come to my house about once a week for while before I moved. I would just tell her talk, it was fascinating what I learned about her belief system from doing that. She didn't change my mind on a single thing, and I think she knew it. But we were always respectful towards each other.

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Know what's kinda funny? I live in the parsonage of a Luthern Church (don't ask me where the pastor, who is a she, lives) and the Jahovah Witnesses have stopped by twice already.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
We(Christians) are a desperate bunch all right. We are desperate to bring as many people as possible to Christ and avert their eternal damnation.

This is why many Christians go door-to-door ect.

cardero

Citizen Mod
In the time in which Jesus lived I would have to admit that there may have been a cause to go door to door and even then I think Jesus would have the insight and consideration not to knock on a door that he knew that the inhabitants may have not been prepared or interested in the "good news" that he was preaching.
I have personally never gone to anyone's home (including my former house) without first using the phone and heralding my arrival. It is a respect and consideration I use even with friends who do not mind "pop-overs". One of the reasons is to insure that they are going to BE home to receive me, the second reason is to find out if they have the time to welcome company in their busy schedules and the third reason is to find out if there is anything that I can bring or do for them.
With the rise of technology and the awareness of most people, you would expect that organized religions who go door to door would understand that there are ways and means for other people to to seek them out if they were interested.
This explanation comes to you from a person who was caught unaware in many embarrasing situations by "spriitual walkers".

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
SoulTYPE01 said:
Not totally true . :) Perhaps not as forceful by our defination , but the Hindi have a whole class of Holymen that perform ... well , rather strange stunts by our standarts at lest . There are also those people that hand out flowers and the like at airports . :) The thing is , if one feels that they are truely enlightened , wouldn't they WANT to share that with others ?

Of course , there is the business thing , as has been pointed out . :)

Hope

Princesinha
I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on anyone. Everyone has a choice. However, I do believe, that as a Christian, I am called to share the gospel. And all the gospel means is 'good news.' And I do enjoy sharing this good news with people. To some Christians 'sharing' means going door-to-door, or handing out tracts. I have never gone about it that way. Whenever I get an opportunity, I simply share what I believe, and in the most loving way possible. I think the best way to 'share the gospel' is by living one's life according to what one believes. Shoving a tract in someone's face, and then turning around and living totally contradictory to everything Christ stands for, is making a mockery of God.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
SoulTYPE01 said:
Okay. I just want to know why the Christian race is so desperate to convince others to believe in Christianity?
"Christian race"? Why are you so apparently desperate to demonize Christians?

SoulTYPE

My mistake has been corrected Deut. "Race" should have been "Religion". I have apologised for this mistake.

Davidium

I spent a good part of my weekend at a UU leadership conference, and one of the major topics was "evangelizing" Unitarian Universism....

Now, realize many UU's feel much the same way about "in your face" evangelism as our dear friend Soultype.... Such tactics I beleive actually create more of a negative reaction than a positive one, and the use of those tactics has more to do with the Ego of the person employing them (I know the truth and I am here to save you, see how wonderful and faithful I am and you are not) than it has to do with actually helping to spread your particular belief system.

What is emerging in the UUA is a system of using conversation in daily life, some advertising, and a few other strategies to simply let people know that there is a way to explore your spiritual nature without being locked into any particular belief set. Not in your face, just plant the seed of the idea, and let it grow on its own. Then you make yourself and your congregation easily contactable and approachable, through use of Welcoming strategies and the internet.

To me, this is a reasonable form of "evangelizing"... not the unreasonable and even counter productive more "in your face" strategies....

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle

huajiro

Mister Emu said:
We(Christians) are a desperate bunch all right. We are desperate to bring as many people as possible to Christ and avert their eternal damnation.

This is why many Christians go door-to-door ect.
How many non-Christians have you seen burning in Hell?

I mean seen it with your own eyes.

You have no idea how it bugs me when Christians say that. How dare you tell me that I will burn in Hell for not following your "God", when you have no proof of that?

I would prefer that someone told me "I will shoot you if you don't give me your wallet". I would have more respect for him, because he knows what he is talking about.

huajiro

Davidium said:
I spent a good part of my weekend at a UU leadership conference, and one of the major topics was "evangelizing" Unitarian Universism....

Now, realize many UU's feel much the same way about "in your face" evangelism as our dear friend Soultype.... Such tactics I beleive actually create more of a negative reaction than a positive one, and the use of those tactics has more to do with the Ego of the person employing them (I know the truth and I am here to save you, see how wonderful and faithful I am and you are not) than it has to do with actually helping to spread your particular belief system.

What is emerging in the UUA is a system of using conversation in daily life, some advertising, and a few other strategies to simply let people know that there is a way to explore your spiritual nature without being locked into any particular belief set. Not in your face, just plant the seed of the idea, and let it grow on its own. Then you make yourself and your congregation easily contactable and approachable, through use of Welcoming strategies and the internet.

To me, this is a reasonable form of "evangelizing"... not the unreasonable and even counter productive more "in your face" strategies....

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle
And yet another reason why I find myself leaning toward Unitarianism more and more.

huajiro

SoulTYPE01 said:
My mistake has been corrected Deut. "Race" should have been "Religion". I have apologised for this mistake.
Maybe it was just a slip on your part since in their desperation it seems as if they are "racing" for souls.