• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Blasphemous?

SoliDeoGloria

Alright, so I am driving down the road and I see a bumper sticker that reads "what would scooby do?". After remembering that rediculous gimick (WWJD) that was pushed for profit in the name of a supposed "religious movement" I couldn't help but laugh. I also bust a gut laughing when Stephen Colbert puts on his "prayer hat" (a bedazzled cross hat) and "prayer hands" (big foamy hands) and starts chanting "Jesus #1" because I know of people who get that rediculous with their faith.

Now as a Christian, does stuff like that cross the line of Eph. 5:4 warning about "coarse jesting" or even blasphemy or is it just clean humor about the rediculousness of others at times. Could it even go so far as to be blasphemous? I have my own opinion on the subject what is yous?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Last edited by a moderator:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Alright, so I am driving down the road and I see a bumper sticker that reads "what would scooby do?". After remembering that rediculous gimick (WWJD) that was pushed for profit in the name of a supposed "religious movement" I couldn't help but laugh. I also bust a gut laughing when Stephen Colbert puts on his "prayer hat" (a bedazzled cross hat) and "prayer hands" (big foamy hands) and starts chanting "Jesus #1" because I know of pwople who get that rediculous with their faith.

Now as a Christian, does stuff like that cross the line of Eph. 5:4 warning about "coarse jesting" or even blasphemy or is it just clean humor about the rediculousness of others at times. Could it even go so far as to be blasphemous? I have my own opinion on the subject what is yous?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria
I get sooooo fed up with these in-your-face people pushing cheap religion. I don't enter into sarcasm or irony for the sake of humor. I do it for the sake of satire. If they're going to lampoon my religion by pushing this mawkish crap, they're gonna get the lampoon right back.

Why do you think Jesus chased the money-changers out of the Temple?

SoliDeoGloria

I get sooooo fed up with these in-your-face people pushing cheap religion. I don't enter into sarcasm or irony for the sake of humor. I do it for the sake of satire. If they're going to lampoon my religion by pushing this mawkish crap, they're gonna get the lampoon right back.

Why do you think Jesus chased the money-changers out of the Temple?

Couldn't agree more. I'll probably get chastised by some for this one but one time I was looking through a Christian Book Distributers catalog and I grew really angry at the "Prayer of Jabez" page. It had everything from coffee mugs to prayer shawls to prayer blankets.

There was a Christian rock group called All Star United that made satirical songs about things like this called "La La Land" and "Smash Hit".

I personally don't see anything wrong with poking fun at things like this but I do believe there should be a line that should not be crossed also.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't think it is possible to be too irreverent or blasphemous. Religious folks really need to get a grip on reality, methinks. If jokes and cartoons bother them, their level of disdain is equal to the amount that they have gone overboard.

I think Christ would laugh himself silly over how seriously many Christians take themselves.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Alright, so I am driving down the road and I see a bumper sticker that reads "what would scooby do?". After remembering that rediculous gimick (WWJD) that was pushed for profit in the name of a supposed "religious movement" I couldn't help but laugh. I also bust a gut laughing when Stephen Colbert puts on his "prayer hat" (a bedazzled cross hat) and "prayer hands" (big foamy hands) and starts chanting "Jesus #1" because I know of people who get that rediculous with their faith.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria
I'm uncomfortable with the humor myself, just as I'm uncomfortable with those metal gizmos people attach to their cars that show the Christian fish symbol evolving into a legged animal. On the other hand, "WWJD" always turned me off as does the fish symbol. I guess I'm just not into wearing my religion on my sleeve so to speak.

SoliDeoGloria

I don't think it is possible to be too irreverent or blasphemous. Religious folks really need to get a grip on reality, methinks. If jokes and cartoons bother them, their level of disdain is equal to the amount that they have gone overboard.

I think Christ would laugh himself silly over how seriously many Christians take themselves.

I don't see an issue with getting serious as long as it is properly directed and the Bible does warn against coarse jesting as I pointed out. I am just trying to see if a line can be drawn as to where good humor crosses the line to blesphemy or coarse jesting. what is it dependant on, the reciever of the joke or the "disher" of it, or the content or intent?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Last edited:

SoliDeoGloria

I'm uncomfortable with the humor myself, just as I'm uncomfortable with those metal gizmos people attach to their cars that show the Christian fish symbol evolving into a legged animal. On the other hand, "WWJD" always turned me off as does the fish symbol. I guess I'm just not into wearing my religion on my sleeve so to speak.

I think the intent of the "metal gizmos" your writing about had more to do with making a statement than humor.

SIncerely,
SoliDeoGloria

there are 3 reasons to pick on religion

1 you don't agree with it
2 you think its pretty funny
3 its so easy

now obviusly some of those are worse then others
dunkindonuts.jpg

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Its a fine line to walk. But I believe God has a sense of humor and gets a kick out of some of it as well.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't see an issue with getting serious as long as it is properly directed and the Bible does warn against coarse jesting as I pointed out. I am just trying to see if a line can be drawn as to where good humor crosses the line to blesphemy or coarse jesting. what is it dependant on, the reciever of the joke or the "disher" of it, or the content or intent?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria
I think it is extremely dangerous to set a line that no one should cross. Religions haven't the ability to prove their ludicrous claims, so they really have to accept the fact that because of that they invite ridicule.

rojse

RF Addict
I think it is extremely dangerous to set a line that no one should cross. Religions haven't the ability to prove their ludicrous claims, so they really have to accept the fact that because of that they invite ridicule.

It's not merely that, the most fanatical of believers readily invite ridicule upon themselves. It's quite few people compared to the religious followers as a whole, and I don't associate the vocal few with the reasonable majority, but they are out there, and you have to laugh at some of the things that are proclaimed (while having deep concerns, too).

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's not merely that, the most fanatical of believers readily invite ridicule upon themselves. It's quite few people compared to the religious followers as a whole, and I don't associate the vocal few with the reasonable majority, but they are out there, and you have to laugh at some of the things that are proclaimed (while having deep concerns, too).
I do understand, Rojse. Personally, part of why I keep coming back to RF is because I find the ideas of so many to be tremendously amusing.

SoliDeoGloria

Enoch07 said:
Its a fine line to walk. But I believe God has a sense of humor and gets a kick out of some of it as well.

Exactly my point. I was just trying to see if that fine line can can be defined.

3.14 said:
there are 3 reasons to pick on religion

1 you don't agree with it
2 you think its pretty funny
3 its so easy

now obviusly some of those are worse then others

So where would Stephen Colbert fit in who claims to be Catholic?

YmirGF said:
think it is extremely dangerous to set a line that no one should cross. Religions haven't the ability to prove their ludicrous claims, so they really have to accept the fact that because of that they invite ridicule.

And I think it is extremely dangerous to get involved in a "same faith debate" when you are not of the "same faith" especially when there are all sorts of "non-religious laws" out there, but being as how that has nothing to do with what this thread, I'll just politely ask you to acknowledge where this thread is posted.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Like the teddy bear-Muhammeds that nearly caused a jihad?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

Please remember that this thread is in the Same Faith Debates forum. As specified in the OP, this debate is specifically for Christians. I've edited the thread title to make this more clear.

If you are not a Christian, you're welcome to start a thread in one of the general debating forums to continue your discussion, but please remember that this thread is for a same faith debate.

Also, when starting a thread in Same Faith Debates, please remember to specify in your thread title which faith the debate is for.

Thanks,

9-10ths_Penguin
Mod

Enoch07

Premium Member
Exactly my point. I was just trying to see if that fine line can can be defined.

So where would Stephen Colbert fit in who claims to be Catholic?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

I like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's shows but cringe when they personally attack Jesus on just about any level. That is when it goes way too far imo.

Religious comedy in movies like "Bruce Almighty" I feel would be the limit. Even a good bit of it was borderline blasphemous. But that movie's brand of religious jokes and humor would be the line if you was to ask me.

Hopefully I am making sense.

SoliDeoGloria

*** Mod Post ***

Please remember that this thread is in the Same Faith Debates forum. As specified in the OP, this debate is specifically for Christians. I've edited the thread title to make this more clear.

If you are not a Christian, you're welcome to start a thread in one of the general debating forums to continue your discussion, but please remember that this thread is for a same faith debate.

Also, when starting a thread in Same Faith Debates, please remember to specify in your thread title which faith the debate is for.

Thanks,

9-10ths_Penguin
Mod

My apologies. I will be sure to be more specific next time

I like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's shows but cringe when they personally attack Jesus on just about any level. That is when it goes way too far imo.

Religious comedy in movies like "Bruce Almighty" I feel would be the limit. Even a good bit of it was borderline blasphemous. But that movie's brand of religious jokes and humor would be the line if you was to ask me.

Hopefully I am making sense.

On the basis of intent and content, I might agree but would at least give Colbert a better assesment. But that might have to do with the fact that I just find him very talented at what he does.

Now, I don't watch Jon Stewart just because I don't find him very funny but I have seen a bit of Bruce Almighty and watch Colbert pretty regularly. Where I find the difference between the two is while Bruce Almighty dealt more with God himself, Colbert seems to deal with peoples perceptions of God. Although, I have to admit that I thought the sex scene in Bruce Almighty was actually hilarious with the body slamming thing but enough of that 4 now.

Anyways, I hope I am making sense. In my opinion, I feel that when the intent and content of said humor is assesed properly, a little humor can not only be funny, but even helpfull in pointing out the rediculousness of people's personal perceptions of God. Can this go too far? ofcourse it can. I also believe that it is a "secondary issue" and should not be held against anybody either way and that it is as you have stated, a "fine line".

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Enoch07

Premium Member
I guess to simplify my post would be to say, I think lighthearted humor is ok. But when it goes to the point of when >insert comedian here< makes these cynical personal attacks it goes to far. Jokes about God dont really bother me that much. But Jesus jokes crawl all over me for some reason. Cant pinpoint the difference but for some reason there is.

SoliDeoGloria

guess to simplify my post would be to say, I think lighthearted humor is ok. But when it goes to the point of when >insert comedian here< makes these cynical personal attacks it goes to far. Jokes about God dont really bother me that much. But Jesus jokes crawl all over me for some reason. Cant pinpoint the difference but for some reason there is.

Thanks for the honesty!

Just one question; do you beleive that Jesus is God?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Enoch07

Premium Member
Yes which is why I cant figure out why Jesus jokes offend me, and God jokes do not unless they are really really really offensive.