• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian's Birthdays and Other Holidays

Jeremy Mason

I was in the JW's DIR and we have come to the point where it is necessary to move the topic to an appropriate DIR.

The question is: Does giving gifts on birthdays and Christian holidays promote pagan believes?

I don't think so. Most Christians that give gifts on these days are not commemorating pagan practices. Most are celebrating the day of ones birth and the accomplishments of certain time-lines of Christ.

kjw47

I was in the JW's DIR and we have come to the point where it is necessary to move the topic to an appropriate DIR.

The question is: Does giving gifts on birthdays and Christian holidays promote pagan believes?

I don't think so. Most Christians that give gifts on these days are not commemorating pagan practices. Most are celebrating the day of ones birth and the accomplishments of certain time-lines of Christ.

Good day Mr Mason,
Fact 1) Gods word teaches---One cannot partake of the table of God and the table of demons--obviously some think they can-Matt 7:21-23
Fact 2) in both easter and Christmas its fact outside the church activities--Pagan practices( table of demons) were added by the world centuries ago.
Fact 3) Jesus' teachers warn the flock to not even risk eternal life to partake in pagan additives so they do not hear those words at Matt 7 at judgement time.
fact 4) The additives were done by the will of the one Jesus said is the ruler of this world-satan. By transforming into an angel of light( 2 Corinthians 11:12-15) using love and sharing to get one to partake off of the table of demons as a practice-- this makes one a worker of iniquity( lawlessness)
fact 5) Jesus said to be no part of this world.
Fact 6) The JW teachers listened to Jesus and Gods word.

InChrist

Free4ever

I don't believe gift-giving in anyway promotes pagan beliefs in and of it self unless one's motivation is paganism in the first place. God, after all gave humanity the greatest of all gifts; grace and salvation in His Son Jesus Christ. Christians are to imitate the love of Christ by giving of our selves to others whether it be by time, service, or material items to bless another. I also see no biblical precedent against celebrating life, which is a gift from God. I think groups which attempt to associate gift-giving or the celebrating of birthdays with paganism are actually living in superstitious fear and not acknowledging the power and sovereignty of God the Creator over paganism. Everything in this worldly life and on this earth has been at one time or another paganized or corrupted, yet Christians are called to live in the victory of Christ with thanksgiving.

Jeremy Mason

Good day Mr Mason,
Fact 1) Gods word teaches---One cannot partake of the table of God and the table of demons--obviously some think they can-Matt 7:21-23

Matthew 7:21-23 (NIV)
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

So giving my niece a Teddy bear on Christmas or her birthday is going to put me in the "I never knew you" catagory?

Fact 2) in both easter and Christmas its fact outside the church activities--Pagan practices( table of demons) were added by the world centuries ago.

I don't doubt that some of the characteristics of Christmas and Easter have certain common attributes, but the difference is I don't give those gifts to glorify other gods.

Fact 3) Jesus' teachers warn the flock to not even risk eternal life to partake in pagan additives so they do not hear those words at Matt 7 at judgement time.

What does Matt. 7 say about gift giving?

Mattew 7 ;9-12 (NIV)

9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

fact 4) The additives were done by the will of the one Jesus said is the ruler of this world-satan. By transforming into an angel of light( 2 Corinthians 11:12-15) using love and sharing to get one to partake off of the table of demons as a practice-- this makes one a worker of iniquity( lawlessness)

Yes, it is true that there are false prophets. Giving gifts to family and friends for purposes of celebrating one's birth or holidays doesn't make you one of them.

fact 5) Jesus said to be no part of this world.

and giving gifts is Godly and not worldly.

Fact 6) The JW teachers listened to Jesus and Gods word.

Good, then follow this:

John 7:21-24 (NIV)

21 Jesus said to them, “I did one miracle, and you are all amazed. 22 Yet, because Moses gave you circumcision (though actually it did not come from Moses, but from the patriarchs), you circumcise a boy on the Sabbath. 23 Now if a boy can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing a man’s whole body on the Sabbath? 24 Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I don't think it does. To me, it just celebrates life, which as a Christian, we should celebrate. Giving is something we do not because we have to, but because we want to.

Shak34

I think it is everyone's individual choice. If everything is judged by its pagan history than nothing would be good including man made religious groups. Most things today have roots in what society today calls paganism.

Sees

Dragonslayer
It is a human thing. Pagans didn't (and still don't) believe everything to do with traditions, laws, culture, etc. was handed down by the Gods. It is silly business to imagine it has anything to do with honoring pagan religious beliefs or entities.

collectivedementia

home-base umpire
The Easter traditions of painted eggs and bunnies has nothing to do with Passover. This was a pagan ritual as recorded in the OT to honor the goddess Astarte(Ashtoreth). To be Christian and celebrate the Passover in this manner seems a little like blasphemy.The Israelites of that time were also observing the rituals of Astarte, withfairly disasterous results.

roger1440

I do stuff

As much as living in a tree makes some one a bird.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

What I believe is getting cross-wired here is the basic idea that giving gifts is somehow wrong. I would never suggest such a thing, however when we have festivals in which whole nations (Indeed most of the world) indulge and that festival is for the most part intact and conducted on the same dates as it was in the days when pagans celebrated the very same festival under another name, in honor of a different god, then I believe we have to start making distinctions.

Christmas is simply the Roman Saturnalia celebrated under a "Christian" label. When Roman Catholicism was made the state religion in the fourth century, Constantine fused weakened Christianity with Roman sun worship. He wanted to consolidate his divided empire so he decided to take the middle ground and create a religion that was acceptable to both pagan and Christian citizens of his empire.

Some festivals were hard to eradicate from the pagan population so Constantine kept the festival and merely changed the name. The 'birthday of the sun god' was changed into the 'birthday of the Son of God'. Whatever they could not eradicate, they "Christianized". But is this acceptable to God?
Christmas promotes everything the Bible condemns. Since birthdays were not celebrated in ancient Israel, Jesus would not have celebrated his own birthday, nor is there a command to do so.....why then should we? His birthdate is not even recorded, so that should tell us something. :eek:

collectivedementia also mentioned the fact that Easter is also of pagan origin. They did not even change the name of the deity in this celebration. Astarte, Ishtar, Oestre, Easter...were all name given to the fertility goddess in whose honor the celebrations were held. Rabbits and eggs were her symbols. They still feature in the celebration today. The sunrise service is also of pagan origin.

Now in view of this and the words of Paul in 2 Cor 6:14-18 we have to make some serious decisions about these things. If God found these original festivals to be spiritually "unclean", and we indulge in them under a different name, does God see us as celebrating these festivals which honoured false gods, but simply changing the names to make them appear to be Christian? They never were.

Think back to the situation on Mount Sinai when Moses descended the mountain to discover his people dancing and singing around a golden calf. It was what they had seen the Egyptians doing, but they called the idol "Jehovah" their God 'who brought them out of the land of Egypt', and the festival was called a "festival to Jehovah". What was God's response. Was he pleased with this festival held in his honor but grafted over false religious practice?

Those who engaged in this festival perished for their disobedience.

The Bible makes it clear that we cannot fuse the truth with falsehood. We can't mix true worship and false worship...it is unacceptable to God.

It might seem easy to justify from the human standpoint, we tend to justify what we like to do...but what is the view from God's perspective? This is the most important one after all. :yes:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Jeremy, aside from the points made by kjw47, another issue is that Christians commit themselves to being his followers and living in harmony with his teachings and way of life.

Are birthdays, easter, christmas or any other types of holidays things that Jesus actively participated in or promoted?

birthdays were a common practice back then, the bible even mentions two birthday celebrations. But never do we read of any accounts of Israelites or Jesus or his disciples celebrating such events. He went to weddings and funerals and the festivals of his people the Jews...but these other celebrations were not a part of his custom.

Even if we ignore the pagan origins of such celebrations, the fact is that Jesus did not instruct his disciples to follow such customs...so we dont.

kjw47

So giving my niece a Teddy bear on Christmas or her birthday is going to put me in the "I never knew you" catagory?

I don't doubt that some of the characteristics of Christmas and Easter have certain common attributes, but the difference is I don't give those gifts to glorify other gods.

Mattew 7 ;9-12 (NIV)

Yes, it is true that there are false prophets. Giving gifts to family and friends for purposes of celebrating one's birth or holidays doesn't make you one of them.

Good, then follow this:

All through your answers--- I--its not what I thinks--its what God thinks--God saw the pagan additives--they are real to him.
Gift giving is not a bad thing--partaking of the table of demons being disguised as good things is bad.
The only name one can find unscrambling santa = satan--he steals 98% of the Christmas celebration away from Jesus. If God expects ones whole heart,soul, mind and strength--then so does Jesus--2% does not cut it--totally unacceptable.

kjw47

Mattew 7 ;9-12 (NIV)

Good, then follow this:

And how will you judge correctly when satan transforms into an angel of light? 99% have failed for over 6000 years--how will you do it?
Solomon fell to worshipping false gods in the end--he was very wise. Are you wiser than Solomon?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
All through your answers--- I--its not what I thinks--its what God thinks--God saw the pagan additives--they are real to him.
Gift giving is not a bad thing--partaking of the table of demons being disguised as good things is bad.
The only name one can find unscrambling santa = satan--he steals 98% of the Christmas celebration away from Jesus. If God expects ones whole heart,soul, mind and strength--then so does Jesus--2% does not cut it--totally unacceptable.

Sometimes we need to look a little deeper into things. For instance, what did Jesus mean when He said "those who are not against us is for us" ? Does my buying my son a video game mean that I care about him and his day of birth or does it mean I am following some old practice from thousands of years ago?

Intent is everything, in this case.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Sometimes we need to look a little deeper into things. For instance, what did Jesus mean when He said "those who are not against us is for us" ? Does my buying my son a video game mean that I care about him and his day of birth or does it mean I am following some old practice from thousands of years ago?

Right on :D

kjw47

Here is a prime example of celebrations that look good---Valentines day--a holiday of showing love and sharing--the world added a real life false god named cupid, worshipped by human beings for centuries( table of demons)

Do you see why Jesus taught to be no part of this world( pagan practices in celebrations, corrupt govts= no voting, running for office, no part in wars of hatred,etc) Jesus taught--satan is the ruler of this world-- and he is.

james2ko

“Originally the idea [of birthday greetings and wishes for happiness] was rooted in magic. The working of spells for good and evil is the chief usage of witchcraft. One is especially susceptible to such spells on his birthday, as one’s personal spirits are about at that time. Dreams dreamed on the birthday eve should be remembered, for they are predictions of the future brought by the guardian spirits which hover over one’s bed on the birthday eve. Birthday greetings have power for good or ill because one is closer to the spirit world on this day. Good wishes bring good fortune, but the reverse is also true, so one should avoid enemies on one’s birthday and be surrounded only by well-wishers. ‘Happy birthday’ and ‘Many happy returns of the day’ are the traditional greetings” (The Lore of Birthdays, Linton, p. 20)...

The giving of birthday gifts is a custom associated with the offering of sacrifices to pagan gods on their birthdays. Certainly the custom was linked with the same superstitions that formed the background for birthday greetings. “The exchange of presents… is associated with the importance of ingratiating good and evil fairies… on their or our birthdays”
(ibid.).​

One can justify the celebratory customs are not intended for evil purposes today, instead are used for the edification of Godly values so God will undoubtedly approve, right? If God was not pleased with Israel's syncretization and substitution of pagan customs, I think it is safe to assume He would not be very happy about it today.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

Hi Christine ES. How deep would you like to go? :confused:

Justification is so easy when the heart wants to continue something it enjoys...even when someone tries to prove to us that it's wrong, we will still try to convince ourselves that we can continue to do it. :(

Ask anyone who is married but has had a romantic liaison at work or someone who is grossly obese who still wants to eat all the wrong foods....we will convince ourselves that we can continue on with these activities even when it is clearly not in our own best interests, or in the best interests of others, to keep doing it. (Jer 17:9, 10)

If the Bible tells us, as Christians, that any connection to pagan worship is unacceptable to God, then breaking that connection, even at the expense of giving up something we love, is a necessary sacrifice. According to Paul, unless we separate ourselves from these spiritually "unclean" practices, (sharing true worship with pagan practices) we cannot be 'taken in by God as his sons and daughters'. (2 Cor 6:14-18) No matter how innocent these things appear or how much we enjoy them, we have to acknowledge their origins and how God feels about them. If this is not our primary concern, then we are already lost. :sad:

As Pegg has brought out, there is no indication that worshippers of Jehovah have ever celebrated these things, either in ancient Israel or first century Christianity.

These festivals were adopted from pagan cultures that were originally held in honor of false gods. If God did not approve of these practices among his ancient people, and the Bible tells us that God does not change, then how can he accept them today?

The choice is ours. God will never force us to do his will.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
One can justify the celebratory customs are not intended for evil purposes today, instead are used for the edification of Godly values so God will undoubtedly approve, right? If God was not pleased with Israel's syncretization and substitution of pagan customs, I think it is safe to assume He would not be very happy about it today.

Great minds think alike :) LOL