• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Are you evangelical?

Christians: Are you evangelical or Evangelical? (See OP)

• evangelical - lowercase "e"

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Evangelical - uppercase "E"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • neither

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
This is in Same Faith Debates so Christians only please!

What do people make of this?

evangelical. Seeking to gently and passively promote Christianity, without being unsolicited, offensive or forceful

Evangelical. Being really right-wing on social issues, a literalist approach to scripture, and an obsession with winning as many converts as possible whilst denying the validity of other approaches

The two are different - one is lower-case, the other is upper-case

I'm all for lower-case "evangelical"

But no way am I an upper-case "Evangelical" Christian

I approve of evangelism but I am not an Evangelical.

I am a liberal!

Evangelising is not my business! - both online and away from my computer

But I will do things that could be consider evangelical - e.g. sharing/explaining my faith with others in the context of a mutual and respectful exchange

Basically: I am happy to help promote Christianity but not in the way that Evangelicals do

And I am not always out to promote it in my exchanges with other people! I have an On and Off switch!

So, the question is...

are you Evangelical or evangelical?

...or neither???

exchemist

Veteran Member

evangelical. Seeking to gently and passively promote Christianity, without being unsolicited, offensive or forceful

Evangelical. Being really right-wing on social issues, a literalist approach to scripture, and an obsession with winning as many converts as possible whilst denying the validity of other approaches

I am a liberal!

But I will do things that could be consider evangelical - e.g. sharing/explaining my faith with others in the context of a mutual and respectful exchange

Basically: I am happy to help promote Christianity but not in the way that Evangelicals do

And I am not always out to promote it in my exchanges with other people! I have an On and Off switch!

So, the question is...

...or neither???
Your definition of evangelical is wrong. An evangelical Christian is a certain kind of Protestant.

A Catholic or Orthodox, or high church Anglican, or Episcopalian Christian is not an evangelical Christian.

Trying to redefine the word to make it mean something more general will just confuse.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Your definition of evangelical is wrong. An evangelical Christian is a certain kind of Protestant.

A Catholic or Orthodox, or high church Anglican, or Episcopalian Christian is not an evangelical Christian.

Trying to redefine the word to make it mean something more general will just confuse.
So, you're saying that it is impossible by definition for a Catholic/Orthodox/High Church Anglican/Episcopalian Christian to go out evangelising?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

I am a liberal!

So, the question is...

...or neither???

Maybe it's more of a language problem. For example, in German there are two terms, evangelisch (moderate) and evangelikal (literalists).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, you're saying that it is impossible by definition for a Catholic/Orthodox/High Church Anglican/Episcopalian Christian to go out evangelising?
In Catholicism, that's only encouraged with those who possibly might be interested in looking for a religion or church. To try and convert someone who already is happily in a place of worship is discouraged even if it's a synagogue, mosque, temple, etc. To do as such may create a possibility that they may give it all up and leave them with nothing.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
In Catholicism, that's only encouraged with those who possibly might be interested in looking for a religion or church. To try and convert someone who already is happily in a place of worship is discouraged even if it's a synagogue, mosque, temple, etc.
That's pretty much how I feel about "evangelising"

Except I would go as far as to include the happily irreligious in the category of those who one shouldn't pester