• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians are taught against mixing with other religions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yet many do it.

Why?

Is Christianity an incomplete and wanting religion that it requires a mix from another religion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yet many do it.

Why?

Is Christianity an incomplete and wanting religion that it requires a mix from another religion?

I suspect it tends to lead the "family" away from the "Christian path".

Differing views about the truth and the kids are going to start questioning both. Likely some causality in the decline of church goers.

Yet many do it.

Why?

For my own thoughts I think it has to do in part with the feeling that the Christianity presented in many parts of the western world feels hollow. I think it's interesting how many Christians I have met over the years that seem to desperately clinging to their faith. Sometimes I have met with Evangelicals who seem to be ratcheting up their faith/ prayers to such a volume that they must believe God is deaf. The truth is a lot of people are not getting what they want from their faith and in many cases turn outside to get something new they just weren't finding at home.

Now truth be told Christianity has an incredibly deep spirituality and set of mystical traditions that could easily fill that void for some people. Meister Eckhart is an example I like to use to explain this point but there are plenty of other people who could easily fit the bill. The problem is that in so many places spirituality in the church is just plain old dead. Church is often boring and just a chore for people while other churches are strictly social gathering places. Christian music tries somewhat desperately to get a hold of people's spirits and often fails.

The other thing is that Christianity in it's most conservative forms is kind of a killer. It drags people down to the point of near death with it's fear and rules. Calvinism is almost a joke at this point for how utterly wretched it makes people feel. This is the uplifting message of Christ? The thing people are told all their lives to believe in? It seems like it's a bad deal no matter how you take it.

I think that is why other religious traditions can be so attractive. When you take Christianity and dilute it a little or a lot with something else then that surface level can be reinvigorated. Add this to the fact that even if people don't like Christianity it's often familiar to people and can be an easy comfort. Sure you dabble in Buddhism or something else but ultimately you are still a Christian. I would argue I have no right to tell anyone who is and is not a Christian. This is just what I have personally felt talking to people and examining the issue.

To be fair part of the reason I labeled myself as searching rather than Hindu or Daoist is because both of those traditions have given me a lot and I don't think either of them is 100% right on the money. I think God is too grand to truly be settled into only one tradition etc. Maybe some of them have similar views and I'll say that I can't read people's hearts. I just have a feeling it's at least partially the lack of spirit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yet many do it.

Why?

Paul says that, Jesus did not. Those two often don't agree and contradict eachother, to the point Jesus said to reject all who came after him and along comes Paul after Jesus warned of false prophets.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I reject the OP claim with no link. Where is your proof that this exists outside of perhaps a tiny minority?
Really? I've been taught that even other sects of the same Christian religion should not be mixed with. As a Baptist we were not supposed to mingle with Catholics, as a Presbyterian we were not supposed to mingle with Baptists, As Christians period we never mingle with those sinful Jews. The list is pretty long I would guess. Probably a little research would turn up other examples. Of course this is in the US, it maybe different in other countries.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Really? I've been taught that even other sects of the same Christian religion should not be mixed with. As a Baptist we were not supposed to mingle with Catholics, as a Presbyterian we were not supposed to mingle with Baptists, As Christians period we never mingle with those sinful Jews. The list is pretty long I would guess. Probably a little research would turn up other examples. Of course this is in the US, it maybe different in other countries.

In all my interactions with Christians, that never came up. But someone I know who was raised Christian noted that the denominational barriers have been diminishing since she was a young girl. I understand it's different with the Orthodox. With the growth of non-denominational churches over the past few decades, it surprised me that this was still even an issue.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In all my interactions with Christians, that never came up. But someone I know who was raised Christian noted that the denominational barriers have been diminishing since she was a young girl. I understand it's different with the Orthodox. With the growth of non-denominational churches over the past few decades, it surprised me that this was still even an issue.
It was a nasty issue when I last went to Church about 20 years ago. According to them everyone else but us was going to Hell.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I find the mainstream literalist version of Christianity...unsatisfying. Being able to compare and contrast the mythologies allows me deeper access to symbolisms that provide inspiration and meaning.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think so far every answer here is missing the key reason:

Christians, like everybody else, in the end do what is most convenient for themselves, rather than pay too much attention to all those "shalts and shalt nots." Makes life a bunch more comfortable, and there are only very few weirdos who are into hair shirts and self-flagellation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Because.

Yet many do it.
Perhaps they are neo conservatives, dragging Christianity back to its foundations.

Its a religion which can adopt and benefit from practices of other groups, much like Buddhism can. This is true for protestants and catholics. For example lovingkindness meditation seems compatible.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
We cannot make generalizations about all people of sects of religions, or religions.