• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians and truth

SoulTYPE

As seeing this MANY times on the RF board, I must ask this. Please do not take it is "bashing" or "defaming".

Why is the "Christian" way the "True" way? What is it that makes your religion correct?

Please inform me because I am very interested. No reply wil be criticised against.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I dont think of Christianity as being the 'major' faith; perhaps Christianity is one of the major faiths in countries that have a good forum (i.e T.V, Radio) I would not expect a tibetan to reply to any message, nor would a Congolese have the equipment to be able to join in> No 1 faith is better than any other.

SoulTYPE

The reason I ask this is because many here say that Christianity is the right way. I was interested in how they gather this.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Well,

It is a revealed faith, I believe Christianity is true because I have felt God's presence, my prayers have been answered, as when I have asthma attacks and no inhaler innearby, I pray and the attack subsides immediatley. The Bible, which I beleive is divinely inspired says that Jesus is the way and the truth, as well as the only way to get to God

robtex

Veteran Member
Soultype when u say true and correct do you mean absolute or accurate or other? It would be hard to contend that the question couldn't answer itself if you meant absolute as their are over 300 different church's based on the intrepretations of Jesus Christ. But if you meant accurate their is lattitude for intrepretaion and negociation within the doctrines of the various Christian groups. As relativity could be assigned to portions of the text based on belief of its nature be it literal or allegorical.

What is true can cover what one believes but in unverifable and what is correct has to be assessed based on emperical evidence to qualtify its validty. Would that be a fair statement and if so would be be fair to say that what is believed to be true sometimes cannot be assessed as to be correct?

Sorry to play the word game with you ....I am just wrangling with the question and can't get my teeth into it...at this point. Looking for clarification.

Lintu

Mister Emu said:
Well,

It is a revealed faith, I believe Christianity is true because I have felt God's presence, my prayers have been answered, as when I have asthma attacks and no inhaler innearby, I pray and the attack subsides immediatley. The Bible, which I beleive is divinely inspired says that Jesus is the way and the truth, as well as the only way to get to God
But I feel that Judaism was a revealed faith to me for similar reasons. So which one of us is right? Why say that only one of us is following the true religion?

No*s

Captain Obvious
SoulTYPE01 said:
As seeing this MANY times on the RF board, I must ask this. Please do not take it is "bashing" or "defaming".

Why is the "Christian" way the "True" way? What is it that makes your religion correct?

Please inform me because I am very interested. No reply wil be criticised against.

Soul,

I apologize in advance for the length here.

I think it's pretty complicated. On one level, it's a matter of trust. Christians trust Christ's promises, however they may interpret them (and some interpretations are pretty far out).

Also, it is not necessarily Christian to assert everyone else is wrong in all details. I'll use Justin Martyr and the Apostle John for an illustration here.

John called Jesus the "Logos." Normally, this is translated as "word," but there's at least several dozen translations of this word. "Word" doesn't quite catch it all. It can mean "reason," "statement," "story," "argument," and several other things. Heck, the term "logical" comes from the adjective "logikos." One thing it clearly doesn't mean is "Bible" lol.

In John's Gospel, I think it could easily refer to a "revelation," though that is a very unusual and unattested meaning of the term. The Logos is the source of all truth, and Christ is the Logos. Christ unveils Himself fully and comes to earth to solve our problem with "sin" (think imperfection) and death, by uniting the perfect and immortal with our natures.

When Christ ascends, He promises His Body and Blood to His followers. We, in turn, consume them, and become part of His Body -- the Church. The Church is, then, the incarnation of Christ on Earth. This is all very mystical, and I don't really have my head wrapped around it.

Now, there are numerous Christian sects, and they each have their own view on this matter, and I'm not going to speak for them (after all, they've broken away from the Church, or broke away from someone who broke away from the Church, or broke away...and so on).

This doesn't mean that everybody else is wrong in everything, or that no truth exists outside of Christianity. Heck, the Apostle Paul even quotes a pagan poet in the book of Acts (this fact is not often cited by someone who tries to portray all other religions as complete lies). Justin Martyr, a second century Christian, taught that the Logos is manifested in various degrees everywhere and to all (he makes special mention of the Greek philosophers). So, while all religions have a part of Truth, Truth Himself became man in the person of Christ, and then is incarnated through His Church to this day.

That's what I've learned, even though I know this view is *not* shared by most of the people you've talked to. Still, it's Orthodox.

Linus

SoulTYPE01 said:
What makes any faith correct? No one knows for sure what is correct. It boils down to faith. We christians have faith that those things in the Bible happened, but there is no way to be absolutely sure.

SoulTYPE

Linus, sorry to reiterate what I meant:

Why do Christians THINK their way is correct and that anything THEY say is truth and nothing else.

Hope

Princesinha
No*s said:
So, while all religions have a part of Truth, Truth Himself became man in the person of Christ, and then is incarnated through His Church to this day.
I think that is an excellent way of putting it.

Christianity is definitely a 'revelation by faith' religion. I cannot prove to you that what I believe is THE truth---all I can share with you is how God has proven Himself to me, all because I decided to take a chance with faith. And to those that knock 'faith'---all I can say is: try it sometime. :p

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I went to the doctor today... I wasn't feeling right. Something was WRONG.

Unfortunately, he was pretty narrowminded about the whole affair. He kept telling me what I needed to do to get well. The hypocrite! I don't see him taking this medicine! In fact, I don't think he can relate to me since he is well! How dare him tell me that this is the one true way to health.

Hmnnnnn... ain't this a hoot. Somehow the medicine seems to be working. I surely don't understand it, but I am feeling much, much better. Healthy even! If only he weren't so narrow minded about what I needed to get well.

Only those who realise that they are sick see the need for a doctor. All the others go from bad to worse, all the while telling us just how great they feel. Once you see the need, the cure never seems narrow minded. It becomes liberating!

Master Vigil

Or perhaps a persons sickness needs a different cure? Which cure is correct, the cure for his illness, or the cure for yours? Many christians think the cure for their illness is the cure for all illnesses.

Melody

Lintu said:
But I feel that Judaism was a revealed faith to me for similar reasons. So which one of us is right? Why say that only one of us is following the true religion?
I believe that Christ is the one true way. Since I believe that, how could I possibly ever say that Judaism, Buddhism or any other religion might also be the true way? If I didn't believe Christ was the one true way, then I wouldn't be Christian. If I say that other religions may be the true way, particularly when they worship more than one god, then I obviously do not have true faith in my own beliefs.

Over my 48 years I've run the gamut from Catholicism in my parents' home through Buddhism, Hinduism, Wicca and other Pagan beliefs and even Judaism. Eventually, I got around to creating my own set of beliefs by pulling little pieces from all of these beliefs. Still, it felt as if something was missing. Then one day while journaling, I heard this little voice in my head (more of an overall thought rather than actual words) ask, "why are you trying to create your own set of beliefs when I've already given them to you? Why are you being so stubborn?" I felt compelled to go out and buy a Bible (I'd given mine away years earlier) and start reading and it just felt right.

I believe that salvation is only found through Christ and there's no room for compromise. I am happy to talk about my faith with others if they are interested but I don't feel the need to beat my beliefs into anyone's head, nor do I think any less of them because their beliefs are different...but I can never say that their way is just as valid.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I honestly can't for the life of me grasp how anyone can think their way is the one true way. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but I simply cannot comprehend it. Nobody knows if they're right or wrong. I just don't get how someone can be certain they're right.

"You can be certain and be wrong."

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As I said... when you see that you have a disease, the actual cure never seems narrowminded. If you don't see that you are sick, then there are many ways to get healthy.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
..? That doesn't make too much sense, NetDoc. There are many ways to treat disease. No panacea, so to speak.

Hope

Princesinha
NetDoc said:
As I said... when you see that you have a disease, the actual cure never seems narrowminded. If you don't see that you are sick, then there are many ways to get healthy.
Great analogy! :D

Melody

Jensa said:
I honestly can't for the life of me grasp how anyone can think their way is the one true way. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but I simply cannot comprehend it. Nobody knows if they're right or wrong. I just don't get how someone can be certain they're right.

"You can be certain and be wrong."
Jensa,
The beliefs of some religions allow for the possibility that their way is not the only way to God. Christianity is very specific and allows no room for any other possibility:

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

There is no room for compromise.