• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians and the Word of God.

A

angellous_evangellous

i agree with the general funds, bu disagree with the salary.

the general fund goes to propagation, caring for orphans and widows and other good deeds... hence the christain commandement to 'carry each other's burden" this includes the ministers burdens, also, the minister is not above the commandment to give what his heart desires. he must have his own means to live in so that he does his minstry because of faith and not becasue his paid.

But Paul says that the minister should make his living on the Gospel.

uss_bigd

Yes, a salary is fixed. It does not insult my intelligence if you cannot answer a question.

I'm asking if you think that it's possible for a congregation to be lead by the Holy Spirit to give freely to a general fund, as much as each person is lead to give. From this willingly given fund the money is budgeted out at fixed rates to various needs of the church, one of these items being a pastor's salary. Does this not fulfill the commands, and indeed the requirements of 1 Cor 9?

another thing, why dont we reveiw 1cor 9

12If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast

so was Paul paid a salary? no.

A

angellous_evangellous

PAUL was working on what he had...

Dont you get that?

Blessings

Dallas

Of course I get that. Paul said that churches are obligated to pay their pastors, so that the pastors could make a living on their work as a pastor alone. From the Corinthians, Paul refused this right, and precisely why is a question debated by scholars. I think that it was because the Corinthians would have thought that they could tell Paul what to do if they gave him money - tell him what to preach and what the church could practice.

Paul also worked while in Thessalonica, but I think that was because the church there was too poor to pay him.

He did, however, receive gifts from the Philippians and perhaps other Macedonians.

A

angellous_evangellous

another thing, why dont we reveiw 1cor 9

12If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast

so was Paul paid a salary? no.

I'm not debating whether or not Paul was paid a salary. Obviously, he wasn't. The point is a paid salary is by no means contrary to 1 Cor 9. The payment of ministers is, and the payment of salary from a general fund does not hamper the command to give freely, because everyone can still give however they want.

The right of refusal is on the pastor's side. She can refuse the gifts, but the church has to give it.

uss_bigd

I'm not debating whether or not Paul was paid a salary. Obviously, he wasn't. The point is a paid salary is by no means contrary to 1 Cor 9. The payment of ministers is, and the payment of salary from a general fund does not hamper the command to give freely, because everyone can still give however they want.

The right of refusal is on the pastor's side. She can refuse the gifts, but the church has to give it.

I will follow the example of Paul sir...