• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians and Jews Mostly: Messiah

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To Jews and Christians mostly but others are free to poke their noses in....

What is the Messiah meant to do, according to Tanakh?

No 'NT' quotes thanks.

I've tried this thread before, I'm bored, so I'm trying it again.

rosends

I shan't reinvent the wheel so I hope that cutting and pasting (and attributing) is acceptable:

"The mashiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15)."

https://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I accept Hashem/Yahweh/ , Jesus, and the Virgin Mary, as Kami I sometimes pray to. But I reject Scripture as being without error.

But I think I'm not meeting the requirements for this thread. I can tell you my fantasies of a Shinto Messiah creating world peace and making all Religions get along, but I don't think that is appropriate for this thread.

I believe the Messiah will be like Cyrus in the Old Testament and actually recreate the Temple for the Jews in Israel. He might give the Jews all the land that was promised to them by Hashem, which they don't currently have. Messiah means "The anointed one". Cyrus in the Old Testament wasn't even Jewish and yet Scripture calls him "Anointed one" and "Messiah". It's what I always wanted to be when I grow up.

Once again though, I don't know what is appropriate for this thread. But Cyrus is another Kami I pray to , and I would like to see the Temple restored.

Good old Wikipedia offers some good info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah

If this post is not okay for this thread please squash it. :D God bless you!

Lain

A large subject requiring much study, some things the Messiah does are here perhaps:

Daniel 9:24-27 (LXX): "Seventy weeks have been determined upon thy people, and upon the holy city, for sin to be ended, and to seal up transgressions, and to blot out the iniquities, and to make atonement for iniquities, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal the vision and the prophet, and to anoint the Most Holy. And thou shalt know and understand, that from the going forth of the command for the answer and for the building of Jerusalem until Christ the prince there shall be seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks: and then the time shall return, and the street shall be built, and the wall, and the times shall be exhausted. And after the sixty-two weeks, the anointed one shall be destroyed, and there is no judgment in him: and he shall destroy the city and the sanctuary with the prince that is coming: they shall be cut off with a flood, and to the end of the war which is rapidly completed he shall appoint the city to desolations. And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the abomination of desolations; and at the end of the time an end shall be put to the desolation."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I shan't reinvent the wheel so I hope that cutting and pasting (and attributing) is acceptable:

"The mashiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15)."

https://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm

This is accurate for the Jewish perspective, and more accurate than the narrow view of the Christian perspective. Trom the Jewish perspective it is the progressivel tribal succession of the messiah savior 'enlightened one in the succession of Kings to restore the nation of Isreal and bring them back to obedience of Hebrews to their guidance of their scripture and salvation.

I go with the more universal perspective that purs the Messiah, Avator, enlightened one in all the religions of the world in the Progressive Revelation. If 'God guides and enlightens humanity through Revelation, God is a universal God for ALL of humanity, and NOT a tribal God or Savior of one religion or the other, or one sect of division of the many possible beliefs. To argue the perspective of any one religion, culture, tribe or division there of would be an unresolvable contradiction as to the nature of what One God the Source of all of our physical existence and ALL of humanity would Be if God is God.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I go with the more universal perspective that purs the Messiah, Avator, enlightened one in all the religions of the world in the Progressive Revelation. If 'God guides and enlightens humanity through Revelation, God is a universal God for ALL of humanity, and NOT a tribal God or Savior of one religion or the other, or one sect of division of the many possible beliefs. To argue the perspective of any one religion, culture, tribe or division there of would be an unresolvable contradiction as to the nature of what One God the Source of all of our physical existence and ALL of humanity would Be.
Cool, but where is this in Tanakh?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Cool, but where is this in Tanakh?

The Tanakh is the Hebrew's scripture of telling heir story and relationship with God, but not all the story. The Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Native Americans, and all peoples through the history of humanity have their story and relationship with the 'Source' some call God(s). No one but God knows the whole story of Creation and the evolving spiritual enlightenment, salvation and guidance of humanity.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Tanakh is there scripture of their story and relationship with God, but not all the story. The Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Native Americans, and all peoples through the history of humanity have their story and relationship with the 'Source' some call God(s). No one but God knows the whole story of the evolving spiritual enlightenment, salvation and guidance of humanity.
Wouldn't Christians attribute the messiah to Jesus and thus make the question partly incoherent? https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/IsraelExperi...e_of_Messiah_in_Judaism_and_Christianity.aspx
Both Jews and Christians see the Tanakh as holy and that some parts describe the Messiah. I'm asking about the Tanakh specifically to see how their understandings became so radically different while adhering to the same scriptures.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In the Tanakh I don't see just one messiah or just one prophet. Even though Moses is quoted to say "After me will come a prophet like me..." there are stories of multiple messiahs and multiple prophets. Moses tells Israel that they will fall away from the Torah, possibly more than once. They will fail but will be brought back. This sets up a tiny mystery.

Could it be that all of the prophets are one? Maybe they are thought of as reincarnates though not through the means of joining Brahman and returning but rather some other means involving breath. Why does Elisha inherit Elijah's spirit? This suggests that the breath of the prophets is thought to proceed from Moses. I'm just making it up, but it would explain some things. So if there is a prophet like Moses, maybe in a way it is always Moses such that there is "A prophet like me." Language usages are tricky.

So lets say that the messiah is like Moses. Then his purpose will be like Moses purpose, to finish all of the work of Moses.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In the Tanakh I don't see just one messiah or just one prophet. Even though Moses is quoted to say "After me will come a prophet like me..." there are stories of multiple messiahs and multiple prophets. Moses tells Israel that they will fall away from the Torah, possibly more than once. They will fail but will be brought back. This sets up a tiny mystery.

Could it be that all of the prophets are one? Maybe they are thought of as reincarnates though not through the means of joining Brahman and returning but rather some other means involving breath. Why does Elisha inherit Elijah's spirit? This suggests that the breath of the prophets is thought to proceed from Moses. I'm just making it up, but it would explain some things. So if there is a prophet like Moses, maybe in a way it is always Moses such that there is "A prophet like me." Language usages are tricky.

So lets say that the messiah is like Moses. Then his purpose will be like Moses purpose, to finish all of the work of Moses.

The work is never finished for all the people's of the world.

Lain

Both Jews and Christians see the Tanakh as holy and that some parts describe the Messiah. I'm asking about the Tanakh specifically to see how their understandings became so radically different while adhering to the same scriptures.

We adhere to the same texts but in different ways. I could cite every Psalm as about the Messiah from the very first "blessed is the man," but a Jew who is one bodily would disagree with the interpretation. No text is self-interpreting so the problem isn't with the words it is with the worldviews in the readers. But nevertheless it is very cool to see how each interpret it, so it's a good thread.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The title of MESSIAH meaning of `God and his fellow `gods` that we were fashioned in their like..

or his offspring, the one and only SAVIOUR , that left our needs.

OK,OK.....delete it !

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

No 'NT' quotes thanks.

I've tried this thread before, I'm bored, so I'm trying it again.
Now...
Isaiah 61 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord

later....
2 , and the day of vengeance of our God;

To bring all nations to YHWY

Psalm 22:27-28
All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
For the kingdom is the Lord’s
And He rules over the nations.

To create new hearts:

Ezekiel 36:26
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

and so much more.