• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians and Cleavage

Many Sages One Truth

Question for Christians about dressing standards...

I have read in the Bible where it says that the Israelites were naked when their butts were showing. I have also seen where it says showing of the thigh is nakedness. So if a Christian says these things are nakedness I would understand why. Here is the one that gets me though...cleavage, who determined that was nakedness? Some feel it is ok to show some but some think any is wrong and evil. What evidence do they have for this? The Bible does not say this anywhere that I have ever read.

Here is what brought this question up. I was on my Facebook page when I saw these postings. I have changed the names to protect their identities...

Mary "Why is it that women think it is so sexy to see cleavage? Maybe it is my knowledge of the Bible in that God wants women covered up or maybe to me showing cleavage on the top or the bottom is just nasty, and that you are wanting more in your life than what you have."

Jane "They love the world; they have no respect for themselves; they do not love the Lord Jesus or the Word."

Mary "I have to agree with that, but even the women that claim to be Christians and even Pastor's wives are starting to dress that way. It is very disheartening."

So, what are your thoughts on this?

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with dressing that way in and of itself, the Bible authors lived in a time where dress standards were very strict, and all things are lawful. However, a Christian must take how their fellow man feels toward something in mind, so as not to offend, and I'm sure some don't want to see certain areas of my body, so I dress modestly, so as not to offend my brother, so to speak.

Azekual

Lost
Question for Christians about dressing standards...

I have read in the Bible where it says that the Israelites were naked when their butts were showing. I have also seen where it says showing of the thigh is nakedness. So if a Christian says these things are nakedness I would understand why. Here is the one that gets me though...cleavage, who determined that was nakedness? Some feel it is ok to show some but some think any is wrong and evil. What evidence do they have for this? The Bible does not say this anywhere that I have ever read.

Here is what brought this question up. I was on my Facebook page when I saw these postings. I have changed the names to protect their identities...

Mary "Why is it that women think it is so sexy to see cleavage? Maybe it is my knowledge of the Bible in that God wants women covered up or maybe to me showing cleavage on the top or the bottom is just nasty, and that you are wanting more in your life than what you have."

Jane "They love the world; they have no respect for themselves; they do not love the Lord Jesus or the Word."

Mary "I have to agree with that, but even the women that claim to be Christians and even Pastor's wives are starting to dress that way. It is very disheartening."

So, what are your thoughts on this?
In how I view Christianity, God said that it was good

Many Sages One Truth

It may be good, as in, all things may be lawful, but not all things are expedient. As Christians we have the perogative to take into account how our fellow man feels about something, and to make sure we don't offend our fellow man, within reason.

The kingdom will never come as long as we keep it about feelings. It is within us, but we have to draw it out and apply it. That's how we bring the kingdom to earth. If we say we care for our fellow man and believe in universal brotherhood, but we purposely do things we know offends our brother's senses, then we are a stumbling block.

Dress modestly if your fellow man is offended. That's within reason, it's not asking too much. I am speaking directly to Christians here. We are called to set the standard of fellowship and brotherhood, love and respect for others.

otokage007

I think you and every woman should dress as you like. I think it's pretty absurd to think that God cares about fashion, don't you think?

blackout

Violet.
It may be good, as in, all things may be lawful, but not all things are expedient. As Christians we have the perogative to take into account how our fellow man feels about something, and to make sure we don't offend our fellow man, within reason.

The kingdom will never come as long as we keep it about feelings. It is within us, but we have to draw it out and apply it. That's how we bring the kingdom to earth. If we say we care for our fellow man and believe in universal brotherhood, but we purposely do things we know offends our brother's senses, then we are a stumbling block.

Dress modestly if your fellow man is offended. That's within reason, it's not asking too much. I am speaking directly to Christians here. We are called to set the standard of fellowship and brotherhood, love and respect for others.

Honey, just about every "fellow man" around you
is gunna get offended by something.
There is no WAY you can live your life
attempting to go around not offending anyone.

Anyhow, I find it offensive that people judge others,
women in particular,
by how they dress.
You don't like how I dress?
Am I supposed to care?
What happened to "judge not"?

Azekual

Lost
Honey, just about every "fellow man" around you
is gunna get offended by something.
There is no WAY you can live your life
attempting to go around not offending anyone.

Anyhow, I find it offensive that people judge others,
women in particular,
by how they dress.
You don't like how I dress?
Am I supposed to care?
What happened to "judge not"?

If you so much as yawn the wrong way people will be offended these days.

And a little off topic but, are you typing in Iambic Pentameter? or is it just me?

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
If they persist in promoting inaccurate notions that they have been shown to be inaccurate, they are lying. We do all live in the same universe, after all. Reality does not come with optional accessories.

Scientific statements do come with evidence and accounts of how the stated results were arrived at. Faith is not involved. Anyone can work through the demonstrations for themselves if they are willing to make the effort.

Faith does not excuse willful ignorance.

Science still takes faith. No matter how you look at it, it really does. Look at how many times in the past one scientist proved another scientist wrong. The first scientist had evidence, yet he was wrong. Another scientist proves the second scientist wrong, and so on. Science has been wrong many times and will continue to be wrong in the future. Don't get me wrong, science is very important and an amazing thing, however, it is not perfect and still takes faith to believe in. What is right in your mind due to some scientific experiment can be inaccurate and folly in the eyes of another.

Looncall

Science still takes faith. No matter how you look at it, it really does. Look at how many times in the past one scientist proved another scientist wrong. The first scientist had evidence, yet he was wrong. Another scientist proves the second scientist wrong, and so on. Science has been wrong many times and will continue to be wrong in the future. Don't get me wrong, science is very important and an amazing thing, however, it is not perfect and still takes faith to believe in. What is right in your mind due to some scientific experiment can be inaccurate and folly in the eyes of another.

Yet, science does have a means of correcting mistakes, as you have pointed out. Religion has no such mechanism, so religious errors persist indefinitely.

blackout

Violet.

Yet, science does have a means of correcting mistakes, as you have pointed out. Religion has no such mechanism, so religious errors persist indefinitely.

And this all has WHAT to do with cleavage?

When I'm in a thread about cleavage,
I want cleavage. :149: :flirt:

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
And this all has WHAT to do with cleavage?

When I'm in a thread about cleavage,
I want cleavage. :149: :flirt:

Yes, we seem to be a bit off topic...my appologies...

Back to Boobs! WE LOVE 'EM, SO FEEL FREE TO SHOW 'EM!

Violet, don't you have your own? I wish I had a set...then again, I would probably never leave my room if I did...sorry, I am a bit drunk right now...lol!

earlwooters

Men have cleavage too. Is it as controversial as womens cleavage? If you showed 10 pics of cleavage to ordinary people, most of them could not tell the men from the women. Dare anybody to take the challange.