• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity

dvergur

Mathematician in making
Howdy.
This is my only outlet for these types of discussion so here we go.
I was at a baptism the other day and I realized how hilarious this religion is. First off, everybody was chanting together, a room full of people singing the same thing is chanting in my books. As if this wasn't bad enough afterwards the priest starts talking real formal like about stuff from the bible I suppose, I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet... Well at least it's pretty humorous, had a hard time keeping from laughing out loud and I would have had it not been my niece's child. And to top it all off, at the end everybody touched the kid. I mean, alright, if you want to act wacky go ahead but don't do it under these silly pretenses. I'd love to hear more stories about funny religious "ceremonies". I bet there are some juicy Islamic ones.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Personally, I have respect for everyone's religion (save for a couple), and I do not see anyones religious rituals to be "funny," especially when they have zero effect on my life.

dvergur

Mathematician in making
Well, society has told us to respect each other regardless of everything and so forth but who appointed society the head of the committee which decides what's right and wrong? Last time I checked, society was full of idiots.
And on another note, come on, if it's funny, laugh. If you have to look around before you do, something is wrong... Humor should be have diplomatic immunity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, society has told us to respect each other regardless of everything and so forth but who appointed society the head of the committee which decides what's right and wrong? Last time I checked, society was full of idiots.

Are you an adolescent? That's usually an attitude associated with adolescents.

Super Universe

Defender of God
And on another note, come on, if it's funny, laugh. If you have to look around before you do, something is wrong... Humor should be have diplomatic immunity.

What do you think of the only man who laughs in a crowded room?

dvergur

Mathematician in making
Yeah, I figured I might be mistaken for one. I suppose the reason is because I don't act like I'm supposed to. I'll need a thread explaining why society is full of idiots so I don't have to explain it in my future posts.

dvergur

Mathematician in making
I'd like to be the laughing man because obviously he's having fun, who gives a fudge what the others think?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yeah, I figured I might be mistaken for one. I suppose the reason is because I don't act like I'm supposed to.

That's OK. Not everyone matures at the same rate. That is, some people mature slower than others. Nothing wrong with that.

I'll need a thread explaining why society is full of idiots so I don't have to explain it in my future posts.

Please feel free to start that thread.

dvergur

Mathematician in making
I want to believe I'm not immature but I suppose I wouldn't know it if I were. And I might just start that thread soon =)

Mr. Peanut

Hi!

With all due respect, dvergur, I do not think a religious forum is the place to laugh at others' religious ceremonies or rituals, rather a place to learn. Perhaps ask questions as to the meaning behind the motions.

Cheers!

dvergur

Mathematician in making
Howdy.
First off, ChristineES, I love them, that's what I'm saying.
And Mr. Peanut, I think you should be able to laugh at anything funny anywhere. And furthermore you should especially be able to laugh at yourself. If you can't take a little criticism you obviously have some shaky foundations, I hope that makes sense... sounds good though.
And on another note, I saw a show called "Jesus Camp" the other day. I seriously haven't laughed this hard for ages. This overweight, less than beautiful(recipe for bitterness) woman was speaking to this crowded room of people, mostly children, about how Harry Potter was a warlock and would have been killed ages ago, which is probably right but I don't know if you would want to say that to the kids. Then as in the baptism everybody chanted once in a while and children were crying from spiritual healing or whatever, I didn't watch the whole thing... I couldn't take more than two minutes at a time so I switched to some mindless show in between but when I changed back it always made me laugh just as hard. I recommend it, I hope you find it in the comedy rack at your local video rental rather than the documentary.
Well, best regards.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And on another note, I saw a show called "Jesus Camp" the other day. I seriously haven't laughed this hard for ages. This overweight, less than beautiful(recipe for bitterness) woman was speaking to this crowded room of people, mostly children, about how Harry Potter was a warlock and would have been killed ages ago, which is probably right but I don't know if you would want to say that to the kids. Then as in the baptism everybody chanted once in a while and children were crying from spiritual healing or whatever, I didn't watch the whole thing..
What's funny, is you laugh at them, and they are the ones who are fighting for political power. I thought about suggesting Blockbuster move that movie to the horror section.

And don't get me wrong. I have very little love for Christianity, and if I had the chance, I would get drunk off of communion wine. But being an ex-christian myself, I know where they are coming from. Maybe I don't laugh because I understand what is going on, step by step.

Not quite everyone. Racial tensions still exist in some parts of America. The latest GLBT legislation completly dropped the "T" off the bill so it would pass for the "GLB" part. Christian denominations feud among each other. Society rarely, if ever, fits into a nice little category and description.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
And on another note, I saw a show called "Jesus Camp" the other day. I seriously haven't laughed this hard for ages. This overweight, less than beautiful(recipe for bitterness) woman was speaking to this crowded room of people, mostly children, about how Harry Potter was a warlock and would have been killed ages ago, which is probably right but I don't know if you would want to say that to the kids. Then as in the baptism everybody chanted once in a while and children were crying from spiritual healing or whatever, I didn't watch the whole thing.
You laughed at that?

I'm afraid it was so terrifyingly sad seeing adults manipulate the minds of naive children that I would cry, not laugh.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not sure I would want someone coming to my Church just so they can make fun of the way Christians act. They seems disrespectful to me.
Not all Christians think that Harry Potter is evil. To me, he is a harmless fairy tale.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Howdy.
I was at a baptism the other day and I realized how hilarious this religion is. First off, everybody was chanting together, a room full of people singing the same thing is chanting in my books. As if this wasn't bad enough afterwards the priest starts talking real formal like about stuff from the bible I suppose, I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet... Well at least it's pretty humorous, had a hard time keeping from laughing out loud and I would have had it not been my niece's child. And to top it all off, at the end everybody touched the kid. I mean, alright, if you want to act wacky go ahead but don't do it under these silly pretenses. I'd love to hear more stories about funny religious "ceremonies". I bet there are some juicy Islamic ones.
This is rude as well as ignorant. Perhaps you should have just stayed home.

gnomon

Howdy.

You know. When I look back in the past at some poignant, well reasoned criticisms about certain religions made by certain members who are banned and read this and the stroking this post gets by an Admin.

You can only wonder what the hell is up with the staff here. Of course, given all the ridiculous polls, the mentality is not surprising.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You know. When I look back in the past at some poignant, well reasoned criticisms about certain religions made by certain members who are banned and read this and the stroking this post gets by an Admin.

The stroking is all in your imagination, Gnomon.

You can only wonder what the hell is up with the staff here. Of course, given all the ridiculous polls, the mentality is not surprising.
I have no sympathy for a person who is free to vote with his feet but choses to stay to snipe instead.