• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

christianity

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What is your opinion on Christianity? Do you like this religion? Personally, I find it weird and I'm trying my best to understand it. It's a complicated religion. :confused:
Lol, aren't you Orthodox? :p

Christianity has potential as a force for good in the world and it has beauty but there's downsides to it. The theology is too complicated and requires you to accept things that go against known fact and reason. It also tends to be so focused on the afterlife that this life ends up not meaning that much. There's a lot of disgust with the body and sexuality in some sects, too.

So I have mixed feelings about it.

Reactions: syo

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For just about every criticism you can level at Christianity, there is a strain of it that contradicts your criticism, and vice versa. It's a huge, remarkably diverse, religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is your opinion on Christianity? Do you like this religion? Personally, I find it weird and I'm trying my best to understand it. It's a complicated religion. :confused:
I generally don't consider Christianity a single religion. It's more of a family of religions at this point, IMO.

I have a negative opinion of most of them. How negative varies from group to group.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There are things in the text, that I can't agree with. That said, I didn't compile standard biblical canon, so forth.

When christianity is put into my perspective, it's fine.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Christianity is ok as religions go, no worse, no better than some of the others.

And like the others, where it falls down is its adherents.

Anthem

It is possible that I believe in the message of Jesus as a prophet sent by God

But it is impossible to believe he is the Lord (GOD)

For he went out of the womb of a woman

How an object is created into a woman's belly became GOD

If the gods are created and generated, can the gods be described as independent creatures created by the Creator?!!!

Abnormal noise

A confused religion

with respect
God can do anything.

Anthem

Isn't it odd that a discussion about Christianity immediately zooms in on the Old Testament?

As for the New Testament, we have a teacher and faith-healer who's quite clearly a Jew, and who believes he's the promised messiah. That's what Peter told Mark that Jesus was. That's what Josephus said Christians believed in the 90s.

Then in the next century, people start declaring that he was God. Then they have to explain how they can have two (later three) gods and still claim to be montheists.

The explanation of why Jesus died is even more difficult. A Chinese scholar, after reading Mark, wrote

As for the "message of Jesus", a lot is about all manner of people being condemned to eternal torment.

No thank you.
I tried saying that - turns out it wasn't a suggestion.

Don't you know all life is tormented? If you didn't deserve it, you wouldn't be here.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Isn't it odd that a discussion about Christianity immediately zooms in on the Old Testament?

As for the New Testament, we have a teacher and faith-healer who's quite clearly a Jew, and who believes he's the promised messiah. That's what Peter told Mark that Jesus was. That's what Josephus said Christians believed in the 90s.

Then in the next century, people start declaring that he was God. Then they have to explain how they can have two (later three) gods and still claim to be montheists.

The explanation of why Jesus died is even more difficult. A Chinese scholar, after reading Mark, wrote

As for the "message of Jesus", a lot is about all manner of people being condemned to eternal torment.

No thank you.

Well, the gospels compounds human sacrifice that it, unlike the OT where sacrifice was only with animals, with a human its far, um, unpleasant. Revelations is a hard and weird book to get through if you dont symbolize everything. Acts, I never cared for, because it is pure evangalization to countries that could have gone well without the apostles conversion methods.

The OT makes more sense and the light of what I read from Jews on RF for years, in theology, Id aside with the OT. Human sacrifice just wasnt a thing among the jews.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It really shouldn't be complicated. Understanding it should be easy. It's only made complicated by human interpretations and rituals.

That being said, it is not easy to follow. For example, Christians shouldn't cuss, or be sexually or ethically immoral. Or be selfish, or a lover of money. But it seems the world wallows in these behaviors. What helps with this, is associating with like-minded people.

So for me, it's not complicated to understand (see my sig below), but living in this world makes it difficult to follow at times.

Gulo

It's lies. Brainwashers and the brainwashed. What did a resurrected Jesus actually sacrifice? What can an almighty deity actually risk or sacrifice...compared to a mortal without supernatural powers?

I believe in a higher power. I don't believe in any religions though.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Jesus family tree has a time span of 77 generations listed between his generation and Adam whom the Bible claims was the "first man". Reference: (Matthew 1:1-16 & Luke 3:23-38)

However, the Australian aborigines have evidently been in Australia for over a thousand consecutive generations. Reference: Aboriginal Australians - Wikipedia

There have been hundreds of generations of Native Americans between the time their common ancestry migrated from Asia until the time of Christ.
Reference: Native Americans in the United States - Wikipedia

The Bible falsely claims there were only 77 generations between Christ and the first man; when people have indeed actually existed for thousands of generations, which proves the Bible and Christianity as being false. Right?

Last edited:

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
God can do anything.
God can do anything.

For Christians, if the Son quarrels and fights with the Father, which god we shoud to worship

And for example
The company manager told us that his goal is to succeed and expand. He is able to fail and close the company. What will he do? It does not mean you are capable of everything you will apply in yourself everything.

God commanded Adam and the creatures that the God is one, then makes the next generations worship three, why do you think that God changed his master plan or major rule

This is proof that himan who make change of laws of God

Look at this

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I had to get all my christianity from the catholics, and then later the kjv 1611 bible. If you just read the bible all by itself, i dont see that it makes any sense. I do not see the harmony from genesis to revelation.

The first thing i learned from the bible is eternal torment prepared for the non believers. Sounds pretty darn cruel to me given the nature of reality.

I really do not know how people warm up to the book nor the religion. I find people make of it exactly what they want it to mean and they cherry pick verses to make it sound profound and rosey.

There must be a million different Jesus's according to how people interpret the book.

The notion of loving your enemies is very radical. Praying for those who persecute you is also radical. But i see that the book means war against those who refuse to accept it as truth and reality.

If you cherry pick verses there are some very profound insights. But if you are a christian you gotta take the book as a whole, and i find that to be very dissonant, very incoherent.

So i have decided to give a modern english version a try, just to see if it makes any more sense. But if all its going to do is make enemies of non believers, and preach eternal torment, then i gotta say its a big waste of my time.

It sounds awfully irrational to make people take the book as literal history.

And i did not enjoy growing up under its gauntlet of conditions in order to be saved.

Saved from what. Who knows? The book has concluded that all are sinners deserving of hell, and repentance is the only way.

I cant justify christianity. And the more i am exposed to science and nature, the more i get an icky feeling about christianity.

But of course wouldnt ya know it Christianity has a million different flavors, each one claiming to be the way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For just about every criticism you can level at Christianity, there is a strain of it that contradicts your criticism, and vice versa. It's a huge, remarkably diverse, religion.
Those competing strains vary greatly in size and influence, though, and that makes us able to make general statements about Christianity as a whole that are generally correct.

By number of adherents, "Christianity" is about 3,000 times more Catholic than it is Quaker, so our opinion of "Christianity" should be weighted accordingly.