• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
The reason I ask is that as a child my mother made us go to church, first catholic then baptist. My father wanted us to find what we believe in on our own. The teachings of the church seemed smart. Once I started school and become very interested in sceince and history I knew what I was taught wasn't quite right. The contradictions of teaching and practice lead me to walk away from god altogether. If it can cause one person to walk away it can cause more. I found God and absolutetion after reading many different religous texts. But, I can not find faith in the church. It isn't my doubt in God but in man and his selfish hand. He says to surrond myself with like minded people. So where is that? If you know the words and sit through church and feel like what just happen is a sin. Why continue to go? The teachings they teach children, wt*. It is so closed minded and judgemental. The rich give to themselves and say their blessed while the poor starve to death!? A pope that thinks so highly of himself he hides in huge temples made of gold and won't let the homeless even sleep on the steps!? The Pope says he believes in God, everyone says he is the holiest one. Then why is it even he doesn't share? Doesn't he know the story of those that built meaningless temples and fell to thier dome? Jesus laid down his life for his Love of God to save everyone. The pope hides behind bullet proof glass, because they are scared he will be shot? Where is his faith of God in that? I can have a debate with each of you about the words of the bible, easily done. But, can you explain how the teachings of Jesus, the one you call your savior, have been used to raise you up to pass judgement on those with none? It really is no wonder Atheist don't believe. Even you don't agree!

I totally feel you. In almost every church I visit, I can pick out one thing, and usually more that just doesn't make sense to me. Even Protestant churches are steeped in tradition that the Bible doesn't talk about anywhere. I am personally alright with continuing in my church, even though there's a few things I don't necessarily agree with. For example, they think it's sinful to have musical instruments in a church service, but I think there's plenty of devout Christians who attend churches with musical services. They teach that women need to be submissive to their husbands, but I am so not down with that. However, I can deal with the little things because I like my church and the people there. If I decide to raise my children in that church, I will teach them that what's in the Bible is always more important than church traditions.

Another option would be to just start your own church that is more true to what you believe. People do it all the time!

I agree that it's clear why a bunch of people don't believe in God. I look at other Christians sometimes and think they're hypocrites...and I'm a Christian! That's why it's important to follow the Bible as exactly as you can and display those good works to the world. Hopefully, those of us who put the Bible and our faith before church doctrine can prove to others that some Christians really do practice what we preach. Or at least, we try our best with good hearts and open minds.

Christians shouldn't be judging people. The Bible even tells us not to do so. We are all sinners.

And, let me just say now...I was able to avoid insulting the Pope in another thread...but let me just say, the Pope is straight up crazy. Most non-Catholics don't take him seriously at all. Christ is the holiest one. Not the Pope, by any means.

Basically, you need to look to the Bible and God as your examples. Not silly humans who always get it wrong anyway.

waitasec said:
ha ha...
you took my bait...that's all. i am not insulted. it just saddens me that someone can make such a harsh statement about their self (you ain't talking about me). where is the self respect? how can you aim for second rate...when you're top choice.
let me ask you this, do you think the girls in the middle east feel any different then what you do, if indeed you believe
Ohhh, I tried not to. You have no idea. Unfortunately, I'm notorious for ALWAYS taking the bait. I walk away maybe .999999% of the time. :D Lol I actually don't have any self-esteem problems. I am one of the top debaters in my state, I run a dang good debate team, I am going to a top-rate college in the fall, and I'm really stinkin' hot on top of all that. The difference between me and someone who isn't a Christian, though, is that I don't attribute these things to myself. Ok, that was a lie. But I TRY not to attribute them to myself. I know that I need to be giving God the glory, and as awesome as I think I am, he has actually blessed me with my superior intellect and incomparable beauty. :cool: Bahaha, but you get the point.

And then, there's the factor that I know every time against Him. No matter what my talents are, I can't be worthy to Him when I continually do specifically what He asks His followers not to do. If that makes sense.

I think girls in the Middle East are a tad different. I'm pretty into women's rights, and pretty much a free love kind of girl, if you know what I mean. It's not really so much that I'm down on myself all the time, but more like I know when I've disappointed God and that does carry a certain sense of guilt.

I think I am worth a lot to God. I try to be faithful and teach other people about Him. But at the same time, it's knowing you can't earn your salvation. That's His gift.

For those that accept Christianity as their religion, I have to ask. How do you accept a religon that, through it's own records of it's history and it's current practice, continues to preach of right and constantly goes left. I was born in a house of split religon and it goes back generations. Christianity's constant damnation of the sinful directly conflicts with the words of thier "Savior" and does so with out any proof of command from thier father "God". Now I'm not saying all Christians are sinners and going to hell, but would merely like to know how a Christian views these acts?

Because Jesus was a charismatic man, who had radical teachings for a time when most peoples were steeped in religious traditions...

And speaking of deep religious traditions of vain imaginings and superstitions, here's Christianity 2,000 years later. :rolleyes:

However, I do love Jesus, and he is the Messiah who fulfilled the prophecies of the Old Testament. Those who practice the Social Gospel of Jesus Christ are the true Christians, In My Most Humble Opinion.

Whatever Paul said is secondary doctrine. However, whatever Jesus Christ Himself said, is pearls of wisdom. :angel2: