• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity vs Satanism

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
This is not going to be your normal versus thread...at least not from me. Instead, I am curious about something that revolves around certain beliefs. So here we go!

If Christianity is false, and Jesus is not the messiah, the divine son of God, etc. and the biblical stories are just fiction, does that mean that Satanism, which uses Christian terms such as Satan or Lucifer, is also false and/or complete BS as well?

Think about it...

If I say "Pollywiggle" is god and his nemesis, "Pollywoogle," is the big bad guy, and you prefer to follow Pollywoogle because you are "cool" like that (or anti-establishment), and it is all based on pure BS, does that not also mean your beliefs are BS? I made the stuff up for crying out loud...as did our ancestors!

Edit: I am not trying to attack anyone, I am just curious as to why certain people go out of their way to be...not sure...anti-whatever?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is not going to be your normal versus thread...at least not from me. Instead, I am curious about something that revolves around certain beliefs. So here we go!

If Christianity is false, and Jesus is not the messiah, the divine son of God, etc. and the biblical stories are just fiction, does that mean that Satanism, which uses Christian terms such as Satan or Lucifer, is also false and/or complete BS as well?

Think about it...

If I say "Pollywiggle" is god and his nemesis, "Pollywoogle," is the big bad guy, and you prefer to follow Pollywoogle because you are "cool" like that (or anti-establishment), and it is all based on pure BS, does that not also mean your beliefs are BS? I made the stuff up for crying out loud...as did our ancestors!

Edit: I am not trying to attack anyone, I am just curious as to why certain people go out of their way to be...not sure...anti-whatever?

From what I gather from LH and Satanist here as a whole, it seems that their beliefs are not close to biblical definition of Satan. Though, when I research Satanism, it has an anti-biblical feel to it. I also don't understand why the word Satan is used for a belief system that, from what I've observed on RF, doesn't mirror it.

Now, what I read could be right. People who follow Satanism maybe seeing themselves more free minded (like Satan was when he left God). While God's people are, well, ordered to worship him or the consequences (and that can't be proven wrong. It's the whole OT).

It could be more of a passive rebellion while in other cases not too much knowledge of how all beliefs of Abraham define Satan and the nature of his name compared to some of the religious details under satanism that does not relate to Christianity and any beliefs of Abraham that I'm aware of.

In my humble opinion, it sounds new age. But online, you can't really tell how seriously people practice X religion and if it is a part of their lives literally not just theoretically.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It might.
That is, if Satanism had anything to do with Christianity.

Think about it...
I have.
And since Satanism is not dependant upon The Satan from the Bible...

You seem to think that Satanists worship The Satan from the Bible.
none of the ones I have talked with in person do.

That is not to say that there are no individuals who do not worship The Satan from the Bible.
Just that I have not talked with any.

Reactions: Liu

buddhist

"Satan" is a figure which originates from the Abrahamic religions. So, it might be safer to say "if the Abrahamic religions are false, then Satan is also false".

That's not to say that other groups have not appropriated the name and characteristics.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
"Satan" is a figure which originates from the Abrahamic religions. So, it might be safer to say "if the Abrahamic religions are false, then Satan is also false".

Yes... especially since the majority of the Bible emerged before Christianity through Judaism, has nothing to do with Jesus, and embraces a very different perspective about "Satan" than what Christians collectively believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aštra’el

@Neo Deist
I am definitely a devil worshipper... but YHWH is the highest and greatest god in my pantheon, and is worshipped as such, so... why exactly would I have to be "anti- whatever"?

In case anyone here does not understand what the word "worship" actually means:

wor·ship
ˈwərSHəp/
noun
  1. 1.

the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
    "the worship of God"
    synonyms: reverence, veneration, adoration, glorification, glory, exaltation
verb
  1. 1.

show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites.
    "the Maya built jungle pyramids to worship their gods"
    synonyms: revere, reverence, venerate, pay homage to, honor, adore, praise, pray to, glorify, exalt, extol

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

That's not to say that other groups have not appropriated the name and characteristics.
You honestly believe that there was no concept of an adversary until the Abrahamic religions?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
@Neo Deist
I am definitely a devil worshipper... but YHWH is the highest and greatest god in my pantheon, and is worshipped as such, so... why exactly would I have to be "anti- whatever"?

In case anyone here does not understand what the word "worship" actually means:

wor·ship
ˈwərSHəp/
noun
  1. 1.

the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
    "the worship of God"
    synonyms: reverence, veneration, adoration, glorification, glory, exaltation
verb
  1. 1.

show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites.
    "the Maya built jungle pyramids to worship their gods"
    synonyms: revere, reverence, venerate, pay homage to, honor, adore, praise, pray to, glorify, exalt, extol

Are you a satanist?

Aštra’el

Are you a satanist?

I am many things, and do not restrict myself to absorbing the strength, power, wisdom and beauty from any one spiritual-religious system. But am I a "Satanist", according to your definition? Maybe. What is a "Satanist"? How would you define a "Satanist"?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
My point of the OP is that many people probably grew up in a Christian home, went to church with their parents, and at some point decided to "rebel" and took on the opposing view. They use the biblical names of Satan (which is Hebrew) or Lucifer (which is Latin) to identify their "deity."

I don't remember her name, but there is a RF member here who has the title of "Priestess of Lucifer," to which my understanding of the Latin means that she is a priestess of the planet Venus. Lucifer comes from the Greek heosphorus, and it is in reference to the morning star...Venus...which can be seen at dawn. Somehow, I doubt that is what she meant by her title. So again, I just assume that they are trying to be anti-Christian or anti-establishment for whatever purpose. Which is fine; dare to be different. Just know that in doing so, it might be based on complete BS.

buddhist

You honestly believe that there was no concept of an adversary until the Abrahamic religions?
I didn't say that. I was pointing out that the specific name/title "Satan" - as a personal name/title, with its specific attributes - originated from the Abrahamic religions.

I do believe that there are other adversaries outside of the Abrahamic religions.

VioletVortex

The figure of Satan was present in prechristian times, so it would not be correct to say that Satan is purely a biblical concept. The modern view of Satan does come from the bible, though, and it isn't fully in line with the original concept of Satan.

Satanists are in no way related to Christians.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The figure of Satan was present in prechristian times, so it would not be correct to say that Satan is purely a biblical concept. The modern view of Satan does come from the bible, though, and it isn't fully in line with the original concept of Satan.

Satanists are in no way related to Christians.
Really? Because 'satan', is very much a figure in Christian religion. In fact, without that, 'Satan' wouldn't even be known, aside from a footnote in a Jewish study text.

I think you might be wrong.
Now, that doesn't mean that modern ''satanism'', like LaVeyan, is theologically related to Christianity. But it very much is culturally and inference wise.

Liu

The original idea to call our religion Satanism stems from Christian culture, that's true. Considering the time in which it was conceived, that's hardly surprising.
But I don't call it that because of this relation (there are other mythologies I get at least as much inspiration from), but since it already has this name now and I didn't come up with a better one so far that seemed reasonable to use.

As others already mentioned here, most forms of Satanism are theologically independent of the Abrahamic religions.
In other words, I don't venerate the bad guy from Christianity, but the deity of those people who call themselves Satanists.

Also, at least my form of Satanism ultimately isn't about being anti but about being beyond such dualities.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

What's your definition?

My definition tends to evolve as I learn more about my own human Nature and collective human Nature. At this point in time, I would use the term "Satanist" to describe anyone who worships the malevolent sides of their own human Nature and collective human Nature. Often times a Satanist also worships the hedonistic sides as well, but not everyone who is hedonistic is a Satanist, nor are all Satanists hedonistic.

It's also important to note that I would rather not use the term "Satanist" at all, as it makes it appear as though myself or someone I am describing has restricted themselves to a single spiritual-religious source from which their entire Weltanschauung is derived, which in many cases is entirely false.

I am aware many people who use that term to describe themselves do not fit the criteria I mentioned, and I would encourage them to embrace and evolve the word to mean whatever it they Will it to mean.

So again I ask you, how do you define "Satanist"?

Last edited by a moderator: