• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity or the Christian?

cvipertooth

I wanted to ask a question to those of you who are non-christian. I was wondering, is it christianity in which you do not agree with or is it the christian population? I have noticed, on many occasion, that people do not neccessarily dislike the religion itself, they dislike like the christians and the way the promote their religion. If christianity could be interpreted in a way that better fits your belief system and the christians themselves could be consistent in their own beleifs, would christianity be more appealing to you?

huajiro

cvipertooth said:
I wanted to ask a question to those of you who are non-christian. I was wondering, is it christianity in which you do not agree with or is it the christian population? I have noticed, on many occasion, that people do not neccessarily dislike the religion itself, they dislike like the christians and the way the promote their religion. If christianity could be interpreted in a way that better fits your belief system and the christians themselves could be consistent in their own beleifs, would christianity be more appealing to you?
For me, it is a combination of both. I think that many Christians magnify the bad points of the religion. Example:

Christians are taught to only believe in one "God". Most of the Christians I have known take this to the extreme and will not listen to anything anyone has to say. If you disagree with them, you are going to "burn in Hell". Their only rebuttal is "the Bible says ......".

Also, it taught in the Bible that "God" will judge, not "Man", yet my experiences with many Christians is that they think they also have the right to judge.

If you got rid of these 2 things alone you would find people would be more receptive

cvipertooth

huajiro said:
Christians are taught to only believe in one "God". Most of the Christians I have known take this to the extreme and will not listen to anything anyone has to say. If you disagree with them, you are going to "burn in Hell". Their only rebuttal is "the Bible says ......".

Also, it taught in the Bible that "God" will judge, not "Man", yet my experiences with many Christians is that they think they also have the right to judge.

If you got rid of these 2 things alone you would find people would be more receptive
I agree with you whole-heartedly. The great thing about Christianity is that you can interpret any of it to fit your lifestyle, as long as you hold true the the core ideals of it. This is proven by the different denominations within the christian church. I, my self, have very different views from what is considered "mainstream christianity" and if some people even within my own church were to hear about what I do belive I would probably be shunned. I have trained myself to not care what other christians think about me. It is the is the people who are in spiritual unrest or in any kind of pain that need me and it is God to who I answer. After making christianity what works for you while still believing in Jesus Christ, would you be willing to give it a try? Also, feel free to ask any questions or express any qualms you have with christianity and I will try my best to refute them.

huajiro

cvipertooth said:
I agree with you whole-heartedly. The great thing about Christianity is that you can interpret any of it to fit your lifestyle, as long as you hold true the the core ideals of it. This is proven by the different denominations within the christian church. I, my self, have very different views from what is considered "mainstream christianity" and if some people even within my own church were to hear about what I do belive I would probably be shunned. I have trained myself to not care what other christians think about me. It is the is the people who are in spiritual unrest or in any kind of pain that need me and it is God to who I answer. After making christianity what works for you while still believing in Jesus Christ, would you be willing to give it a try? Also, feel free to ask any questions or express any qualms you have with christianity and I will try my best to refute them.
I have no problem with the Christian "God". I think the Bible has many truths. As I have stated in many posts, it is my belief that it started out pure and was tainted by "Man". I guess in a nutshell, I have nothing against Christians. It is they, who seem to have something against me, and everyone else who does not agree with them 100%

cvipertooth

For the record, I have nothing against you. I terribly sorry of people's ignorance and
I am ashamed of the christians who condemn people to hell and know nothing about that person's religion. May I ask what your religious preference is? I am very interested. From your profile you put "?" but i could not tell if that meant you were athiest or just undecided.

huajiro

cvipertooth said:
For the record, I have nothing against you. I terribly sorry of people's ignorance and
I am ashamed of the christians who condemn people to hell and know nothing about that person's religion. May I ask what your religious preference is? I am very interested. From your profile you put "?" but i could not tell if that meant you were athiest or just undecided.
I am here to find my religion. I believe in the "good" aspect of every religion.

skills101

Vicar of Christ
huajiro said:
For me, it is a combination of both. I think that many Christians magnify the bad points of the religion. Example:

I also agree. I've known many Christians - not all - but many, that are so ignorant they go "eww... you don't believe in God? I feel so sad for you." All I can say is "go read a book." So it's absolutely a combination of both for me.

cvipertooth

See that is why i sometimes strongly dislike organized religion. Mass groups of people getting together and interpreting the Bible is often time dangerous; especially when they are decided what condemns people to hell. I would almost not consider my "religion" a religion at all. I would consider it a personal relationship with who I believe is God. I know you may disagree with belief in one God or christianity or religion in itself, but some of the most peaceful, joyful, happiest, (and many other adjectives) times I have spent in my life is either in church worship or in prayer. I have always looked it it like this: If my views of religion is right, then I am going to heaven- that is 50% garunteed. If my view of religion is wrong and there is no god, it doesnt matter, I just die- another 50%. I'm 100% garunteed that nothing bad will happen to me in the afterlife. If you are right and there is no god that gives you a 50% of being right. But what if there is a God? that means you only have a 50% chance in being right. wouldnt you like to strengthen your odds?

Trinity

huajiro said:

Well said. If the Christ has appeal to you, don't let your image of a Christian sway you from learning about Him. I am not crazy about the oil industry or but I am not going to stop buying gas. There are crazys where ever you go.

Trinitas

Trinity said:
Well said. If the Christ has appeal to you, don't let your image of a Christian sway you from learning about Him. I am not crazy about the oil industry or but I am not going to stop buying gas. There are crazys where ever you go.
Bravisimo!:D

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
cvipertooth said:
I think Christianity is a beautiful religion in it's pure form. I don't happen to personally believe in some things it teaches, but that doesn't mean I can't see it's merit. I do have a big problem with the way some Christians interpert the teachings of their religion and try to force them on everyone. That really turns me off.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Trinity said:
..., don't let your image of a Christian sway you from learning about Him.
On the contrary, I find, in my own relationships, that it is far more important that I not let my absolute contempt for New Testament blather prevent me from admiring the many fine works performed by Christians.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have to say that for the most part I have no problem with Christians as people. Most are perfectly nice people, but like any group they have thier bad apples. I try not to let those bad apples spoil my view of the bunch.
I do have to say though that I do not agree with Christianity as a religion. I don't think that any changes to Christianity would make me like it any more. If it did, than it would be my current religion and not Christianity. ;)

wa:do

Master Vigil

I feel the same as painted wolf. I have many friends that are roman catholic priests. I love them very much, but I do not believe in christianity as a religion. And yes, no changes could make that otherwise.

cvipertooth-- I see good things in Christianity, and I see good things in Hinduism...and Islam...and Buddhism...and all religions. But I agree with Deut--I admire many (most, even) Christians in spite of, not because of, the mythology upon which Christianity is based. (And of course the same goes for Muslims, Native Americans, etc.)

I'm sure you, cvipertooth, and you, Trinity, admire many aspects of Native American religion...their rich culture, their fascinating mythology, their customs, their heritage, etc. But I'm equally sure you would not consider "trying out" one of the Native American religions just because some Native American myths have profound wisdom. I think you'd agree with me that the true measure of oneself is how one treats others, irrespective of one's metaphysical beliefs.

huajiro

cvipertooth said:
See that is why i sometimes strongly dislike organized religion. Mass groups of people getting together and interpreting the Bible is often time dangerous; especially when they are decided what condemns people to hell. I would almost not consider my "religion" a religion at all. I would consider it a personal relationship with who I believe is God. I know you may disagree with belief in one God or christianity or religion in itself, but some of the most peaceful, joyful, happiest, (and many other adjectives) times I have spent in my life is either in church worship or in prayer. I have always looked it it like this: If my views of religion is right, then I am going to heaven- that is 50% garunteed. If my view of religion is wrong and there is no god, it doesnt matter, I just die- another 50%. I'm 100% garunteed that nothing bad will happen to me in the afterlife. If you are right and there is no god that gives you a 50% of being right. But what if there is a God? that means you only have a 50% chance in being right. wouldnt you like to strengthen your odds?
Youre closer to us than you think. The only difference is you choose to call yourself "Christian". I bet even you have ideas that would cause your fellow Christians to say "repent, repent, or you'll go to Hell".

huajiro

Trinity said:
It isn't that easy. I think you have one chance in every relationship to get things right. I completely believe in that. If you do something wrong, it lingers in the other person's mind forever. Because of this, I don't do one thing that will affect my relationships. Christians have done every bad thing you can imgaine to me. The fact that I still read the Bible and try to learn about it is a miracle in itself.

I am not crazy about the oil industry either. Does Christianity pollute the environment too?

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Maize said:
I think Christianity is a beautiful religion in it's pure form.
I feel exactly the same way! I think that the religion was great, until people got a hold of it. Jesus is great, probably a prophet, maybe even one of god's messiahs he sent to earth. I hate though, how people twist the religion so it suits their needs, and that anyone who does not 100% agree with everything the religion teaches is going to "hell". I hate it when Christians force their religion down everyone else's throat. I just disagree with organized religion for the most part. For me, god and faith is not going to sit in a church once a week, put a buck in the plate so I don't feel stupid, and try and sing along with the hymns.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
cvipertooth said:
I personally have always had a hard time grasping the concept of the death and ressurection, not that i don't understand the process, just that i don't agree with it->DOES NOT COMPUTE! Plus the way that many christians (especially here in the heart of Falwell country) tend to act towards "the unsaved". I remember when i told someone my gf was a jew they immidiately asked, "Is she one of those Jews who believes in Jesus?"..."No she's a jew". Oh and the best was way before that i used to tell people i didn't believe in Jesus' divinity...it was like i had an arm sticking out of my forhead...like huh????????:areyoucra I guess for me it's not really the religion but mostly the Christians i've come in contact with.
I mean they told me G-d was going to throw up my sister at the End Times cause she's a lesbian.........righttttttt:sarcastic

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Most of the problem with the whole belief is that Paul contridicts most of what christ said
There is a foregry at the end of the bible closing it at 66 books and saying anyone changing any of it will be condemned
If you have a look at my site it is all on there
Yet even then it is like when i spoke to this preacher the other day he turned around said even though Paul may contridict most of what christ said.
It dosent really matter as that is the way it is and paul is ancient so we have to respect him???
Where as if people realised the errors that have been made to make it so the bible was used to control the masses by the romans
The world would be interly diffrent place hadly anyone is actualy following christ most are following paul with out even realising it
Also christian means annointed ones the annointing oil contains cannabis and always did do
So there fore to be a christian you should be annointed this has been changed by many to mean annointed with the spirit
Yet if they actual lightened up and tried the correct annointing oil or had a spliff who would want to fight