• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity - Once Saved Always Saved?

Do you believe it is possible to "lose your salvation"?

• Yes.

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

Squirt

I'm curious as to what other Christians believe on this subject. Please explain why you believe as you do, backing up your point of view with scripture.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
No. Not unless you decided to reject Christ completely.

John 3:16.

When you accept Christ...you gain salvation. You don't lose that. You can falter. Your faith can cease to flourish...if you don't keep yourself in the Word. But you cannot lose what you have in Christ unless you reject Him all together.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I put yes, because that's the closest available option to our belief, but it's not really right either. The thing is, you can't actually lose what you haven't yet gained. We don't believe that anyone in this life is saved but rather they are in the process of being saved. We are called to persevere to the end and at any point in the race someone can simply give up and stop running. With all due respect to the OP, whilst I can do so, I'm not going to start proof texting the Scriptures as I am not a sola scripturalist. There is far more to the faith than merely adhering to Scripture.

James

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
JamesThePersian said:
I put yes, because that's the closest available option to our belief, but it's not really right either. The thing is, you can't actually lose what you haven't yet gained. We don't believe that anyone in this life is saved but rather they are in the process of being saved. We are called to persevere to the end and at any point in the race someone can simply give up and stop running. With all due respect to the OP, whilst I can do so, I'm not going to start proof texting the Scriptures as I am not a sola scripturalist. There is far more to the faith than merely adhering to Scripture.

James
I put "no." James, That is so close to what I believe, also! (The biggest difference between you and I is that I believe the work of salvation has already been accomplished for us through Christ.) I believe that the "process" that we work through is not to "gain salvation," but to grow into a consciousness of "having been saved," such that our salvation becomes a part of our life through praxis.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Squirt said:
I'm curious as to what other Christians believe on this subject. Please explain why you believe as you do, backing up your point of view with scripture.
I suppose that depends on whether or not you believe you had a hand in your salvation beyond just accepting it as a free gift.

I'm of an opinion that salvation will happen if only you don't reject it.

fromthe heart

I put NO..I don't believe you can lose your salvation on most parts unless you turn your back on Christ and reject Him in your life...then you CAN and DO lose your salvation. Once you are saved a change takes place in your life causing you to feel different in that sin matters to you...you don't want to sin you don't want to see others willfully sin and when you do it's a heavy burden on your life...during the process after you have recieved salvation and baptism you begin to grow in the Word and in it's Truths...now all works you do count for your rewards in heaven(works prior to salvation are fruitless). What you do in your life at this point really matters in when you stand in judgement day on whether you will greet the Lord in the sky and hear 'Thou good and faithful servant' should you reject Jesus and His teachings at this point you could hear 'Depart from me I never knew you'..it's all in your power to chose heaven or hell (Lake of Eternal Fire). That's my opinion based on the teachings I've grown up on based on scripture alone.:)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am with James on this.

Every one is offered salvation.
Only on Judgement is it achieved.
how else could Judgement be necessary.
To be Saved is not a medal we wear, the only Guarantee is that sins truly repented will be forgiven.
We are called to follow Jesus, some are stronger in faith than others,
Some fail almost daily.
God's love is always there to pick up the pieces.
It is the journry in Christ that is the important,
The Gate once open always beckons, but we are the ones who must complete that journey.
There is no free ticket.

Terry________________________________-
Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

Squirt

Victor said:
I'm with James and Terry. One can lose their salvation.
And I'm with James, Terry and Victor. And I think the three of us could cite many verses from the Bible to support our position. Two of the most straightforward of these are:

Matthew 7:21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.

Salvation is contingent upon continued repentence.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Matthew 7:21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
I think this is refering more to Hypocrisy. There are people who do down right evil things but camoflouge it by hiding behind the Bible. Any wack-job can go on a killing spree and say that the he received a message from the Bible to kill a bunch of people. There are a lot of people who go to church and go through the motions, but deep down they're selfish and self centered and don't really have the love of God in their hearts. If you're doing the will of God, you will start by setting his example and loving others as he loves you.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Salvation is contingent upon continued repentence
We receive our salvation by God's grace. We will never in this lifetime be able to earn or repay God for his gift of salvation. The unforgivable sin is turning your back on God and giving him the finger after learning about him. Complete rejection of God is what loses your salvation. If you have the love of God in you, you won't being doing most of the things that he doesn't want you to do.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Mister_T said:
We receive our salvation by God's grace. We will never in this lifetime be able to earn or repay God for his gift of salvation. The unforgivable sin is turning your back on God and giving him the finger after learning about him. Complete rejection of God is what loses your salvation. If you have the love of God in you, you won't being doing most of the things that he doesn't want you to do.
So how do you explain the emphasis in Scripture on such things as persevering to the end and running the race? It seems to me that there's an awful lot just in the Bible that argues against OSAS and I really am interested to know how people who do believe in OSAS understand such passages (oh, and what about James?)

James

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I believe once saved, always saved. And here's why:

Paul declares, "...if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work" (Rom 11:6). Salvation cannot be partly by works and partly by grace.

Works have nothing to do with salvation. Period. The Bible clearly states, "For by grace are ye saved... not of works" (Eph 2:8-10). True to such Scriptures, evangelicals firmly declare that we cannot earn or merit salvation in any way. Eternal life must be received as a free gift of God's grace, or we cannot have it.

Salvation is the full pardon by grace from the penalty of all sin, past, present or future; eternal life is the bonus thrown in. Some reject salvation by grace and insist that it must be earned by one's good works. Some accuse evangelicals of teaching that all we need to do is to say we believe in Christ and then we can live as we please, in the grossest of sins, yet be sure of heaven. Evangelicals don't teach that at all, yet a similar complaint is made by those who believe in "falling away." They say that "once saved, always saved" encourages one to live in sin because if we know we cannot be lost then we have no incentive for living a holy life. On the contrary, love for the One who saved us is the greatest and only acceptable motive for living a holy life; and surely the greater the salvation one has received, the more love and gratitude there will be. So to know one is secure for eternity gives a higher motive for living a good life than the fear of losing one's salvation if one sins!

John assures us, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know [present knowledge] that ye have [present possession] eternal life..." (1 Jn 5:13). To call it eternal life, if the person who had it could lose it and suffer eternal death, would be a mockery. On the contrary, eternal life is linked with the promise that one cannot perish-a clear assurance of "eternal security" or "once saved, always saved." John 3:16 promises those who believe in Jesus Christ that they "should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Our confidence for eternity rests in His unchanging love and grace and the sufficiency of God’s provision in Christ-not in our worth or performance. Only when this is clear do we have real peace with God. Only then can we truly love Him and live for Him out of gratitude for the eternal life He has given to us as a free gift of His grace- a gift He will not take back and which He makes certain can never be lost!"

Dave Hunt

Squirt

Mister_T said:
I think this is refering more to Hypocrisy.... There are a lot of people who go to church and go through the motions, but deep down they're selfish and self centered and don't really have the love of God in their hearts. If you're doing the will of God, you will start by setting his example and loving others as he loves you.
I think it's referring to hypocrisy, too. But what it really gets down to is that God is not satisfied to hear you talk the talk. He expects you to walk the walk, too. He expects to see a consistent pattern of behavior by which you demonstrate to Him that you are sincere in wanting to live your life according to your Savior's example. Being saved is far, far more than a one-time event in which you experience a deep feeling of gratitude for Jesus' Atonement. It's enduring to the end, in spite of everything. I don't understand how anybody can say, "I'm saved, so I'm home free. I am absolved of all responsibility from this moment forward."

Squirt

Buttercup said:
I believe once saved, always saved. And here's why:

Paul declares, "...if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work" (Rom 11:6). Salvation cannot be partly by works and partly by grace.

Works have nothing to do with salvation. Period. The Bible clearly states, "For by grace are ye saved... not of works" (Eph 2:8-10). True to such Scriptures, evangelicals firmly declare that we cannot earn or merit salvation in any way. Eternal life must be received as a free gift of God's grace, or we cannot have it.

But the Bible also says, "...wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?... Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."

I see your "period" as being more accurately described as a "comma." We couldn't possibly expect to be saved apart from the grace offered us by Jesus Christ. The best people who have ever lived were, to some degree, sinners. And God does not look upon sin lightly. In short, all of us have fallen short of His glory and are in equal need of a Savior. But that doesn't mean that the gift of salvation is offered indescriminately.

What do you believe we must do to be saved?

(1) Nothing.
(2) Believe in Jesus Christ.
(3) Believe in Jesus Christ and obey His commandments.

I you chose #2, you don't believe in salvation by grace alone. You believe that a conscious acceptance of Jesus Christ is required. Right there you have a "work." The only person who can legitimately say that we have no role whatsoever in our own salvation is the person who chooses #1. That person can say that salvation is 100% by grace.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
So how do you explain the emphasis in Scripture on such things as persevering to the end and running the race? It seems to me that there's an awful lot just in the Bible that argues against OSAS and I really am interested to know how people who do believe in OSAS understand such passages (oh, and what about James
I think you misunderstood me. I don't believe in the "once saved always saved" concept. At least not in the way churches teach it. I think churches that teach that all you have to do is accept Jesus for assured salvation are in error. That is a man-made salvation program. It is a "work". And God tells us in the Bible that our "works" or attempts to make our own salvation are like filthy rags to him. God is the only one who can declare who is going to enter his kingdom. God wants honesty. I think that God judges what's in your heart rather than what's on your mind or what comes out of your mouth. But what I ment in my previous thread was that "if" God decides that he wants you in his kingdom, that the only thing that could get you a one way ticket to that eternal BBQ would be if you completly turned your back on him after he showed you what he is all about.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Mister_T said:
I think you misunderstood me. I don't believe in the "once saved always saved" concept. At least not in the way churches teach it. I think churches that teach that all you have to do is accept Jesus for assured salvation are in error. That is a man-made salvation program. It is a "work". And God tells us in the Bible that our "works" or attempts to make our own salvation are like filthy rags to him. God is the only one who can declare who is going to enter his kingdom. God wants honesty. I think that God judges what's in your heart rather than what's on your mind or what comes out of your mouth. But what I ment in my previous thread was that "if" God decides that he wants you in his kingdom, that the only thing that could get you a one way ticket to that eternal BBQ would be if you completly turned your back on him after he showed you what he is all about.
I like that. Again, I tend to go one step further. I believe that the judgemt (when we stand before God) will happen thusly: When we come to stand face-to-face with God, standing fully "in the light" -- enlightened, the absolute Truth of what we find will be so all-encompassing, so revealing to us of the error of our own will and our own way, so completely compelling, that we will be unable to resist the ultimate love and good with which we are faced. We will not want to turn our backs on that. Thus, all humanity will want to "enter the gates."

Squirt

sandy whitelinger said:
Does this imply that you have a hand in your own salvation and by default make salvation a product of your works?
Of course we have a hand in our own salvation. True followers of Christ are not freeloaders.