• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity must change or die

not nom

The OP is basically demanding that Christianity conform to the secular values of our day. He wants Christianity to renounce a belief that God demands justice for our sins, that homosexuality is a sin, that women need to exercise a degree of submissiveness to their husbands. The teachings of Christianity were designed to go against the grain. We are called to "renew our minds" which is done through reading and understanding God's word. It's how we separate society's bs from God's truth.

Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

well, but I also try to separate paul's bs from the truth. where elsewhere does the bible say women have to have a "certain degree of submissiveness" towards their husbands? ALL people are supposed to be gentle and honest with each other, so why would that even have to be mentioned? how is a wife to treat her husband any differently than he ought to treat her? that crap, designed by weaklings for weaklings, has lead to countless horrors and ought to be abolished. and if god has a problem with that, god has a problem. but I kinda doubt it.

Villager

Most of them hate the church to begin with
How is this known? Perhaps people regard the Vatican as a right-wing political tool, and regard ordinary Catholics with sympathy, as the pawns of the powerful. Maybe they regard the doctrines of the RCC as heretical and leading to damnation, but pray for all its members that they will be saved. What people hate is falsehoods- not necessarily those who spread them; though it's very understandable if people do hate Catholic clerics, for current reasons, as well as historic.

I knew Catholic church would be mentioned.
Who didn't?

Though I always get confused. Why not Orthodox get mentioned?
Because they don't have the same record of abuses? Because they are still in an economic and cultural backwater, not having to adapt to a modern, scientific, productive, intelligent, educated world, as Catholicism was forced to do? Because they don't have the core corruptions that despotic monarchy gave the RCC? (Though maybe it's because Orthodox are as woolly as their beards, and rarely give a straight answer! Many believe them to be 'sort of' Protestants, anyway, which is of course nonsense.)

Countless are the hours spent by Christians explaining why Christianity is worth investigation despite the egregious RC crimes that people complain about. The Vatican would certainly go bust if it had to pay them for their time! (And maybe it will have to, one day, added to the large catalogue of other reparations necessary.)

Either way, I can assure you and anyone else, the church will not change from positions such as "homosexual marriage"
Not while there are Christians about, anyway.

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
well, but I also try to separate paul's bs from the truth. where elsewhere does the bible say women have to have a "certain degree of submissiveness" towards their husbands? ALL people are supposed to be gentle and honest with each other, so why would that even have to be mentioned? how is a wife to treat her husband any differently than he ought to treat her? that crap, designed by weaklings for weaklings, has lead to countless horrors and ought to be abolished. and if god has a problem with that, god has a problem. but I kinda doubt it.

These are the verses I think you were looking for.

Ephesians 5: 22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Its funny. All this talk of "you need to get up with the times or you will just die out". For such an out of date, dieing religion it surely doesn't seem that way.
Sure there are silly protest by atheist and other non-believers. Yet there are still thousands of faithful at Mass celebrations and ceremony. Especially when Pope is there. Many flock from all over to see him.

Yet they put a glove on it or pop a hormone pill for 3 weeks out of the month in defiance of the pope.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
All the protests comes from people who are not Catholic. Why change for non-Catholics? Most of them hate the church to begin with, and you want us to care what they think? Humility is the one thing they all lack.

I knew Catholic church would be mentioned. Though I always get confused. Why not Orthodox get mentioned? They are the same stance on women ordination and homosexual lifestyles. Either way, I can assure you and anyone else, the church will not change from positions such as "homosexual marriage" and "Women ordination". Nor will the Church ever care to change for non-believers. You got some cahoonies to think we should change positions for non-believers.

Don't try to act like a victim or that I am directing this at Catholics. If that is what you got from the OP, then you need to reread it. I only indirectly mentioned the Catholic Church and only as a small example. I in no way focuse my attention on the Catholic Church.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The OP is basically demanding that Christianity conform to the secular values of our day. He wants Christianity to renounce a belief that God demands justice for our sins, that homosexuality is a sin, that women need to exercise a degree of submissiveness to their husbands. The teachings of Christianity were designed to go against the grain. We are called to "renew our minds" which is done through reading and understanding God's word. It's how we separate society's bs from God's truth.

Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

You have no idea what my intentions are because of your biases towards me.

waitasec

Veteran Member
The OP is basically demanding that Christianity conform to the secular values of our day.
what angelous said...

apparently you would rather be told what is moral and immoral behavior...
sounds like laziness or a doctrine of willful ignorance

He wants Christianity to renounce a belief that God demands justice for our sins, that homosexuality is a sin,
don't tell me, you're not gay

t
hat women need to exercise a degree of submissiveness to their husbands.

how convenient to say such a thing, don't tell me your a guy

The teachings of Christianity were designed to go against the grain. We are called to "renew our minds" which is done through reading and understanding God's word. It's how we separate society's bs from God's truth.

then renew your mind...it is not your responsibility to control other people

luke 6

30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

it appears to me that the scripture you chose seems like you prefer the low road...

man up and take the high road...

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
what angelous said...

apparently you would rather be told what is moral and immoral behavior...
sounds like laziness or a doctrine of willful ignorance

it appears to me that the scripture you chose seems like you prefer the low road...

man up and take the high road...

Changing God's laws to suit a person's desires isn't an act of love or tolerance, it is act of deception and therefore hateful. On the other hand, teachers of Scripture need to be gentle and loving toward those they're teaching. I haven't always been as gentle as I could've with Scripture and for that I'm truly sorry.

A

angellous_evangellous

Changing God's laws to suit a person's desires isn't an act of love or tolerance, it is act of deception and therefore hateful. On the other hand, teachers of Scripture need to be gentle and loving toward those they're teaching. I haven't always been as gentle as I could've with Scripture and for that I'm truly sorry.

What about passing off your laws as God's to suit your love of intolerance and hate?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Don't try to act like a victim or that I am directing this at Catholics. If that is what you got from the OP, then you need to reread it. I only indirectly mentioned the Catholic Church and only as a small example. I in no way focuse my attention on the Catholic Church.
And I was responding to that example.

Its no secret as its been repeated by Cafeteria Catholics and atheist alike. That the church is dieing and needs to modernize.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Changing God's laws to suit a person's desires isn't an act of love or tolerance, it is act of deception and therefore hateful.
On the other hand, teachers of Scripture need to be gentle and loving toward those they're teaching. I haven't always been as gentle as I could've with Scripture and for that I'm truly sorry.

:yes:

thank you, now go and sin no more :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You say as if you know. When in fact you dont know. You just do not like the fact that there are still faithful Catholics in the world.

I do know. I was Catholic. My family is Catholic. I know more Catholics than I know people of any other faith. Every single one of them uses/has used artificial birth control. Don't tell me I don't know.

I do know. I was Catholic. My family is Catholic. I know more Catholics than I know people of any other faith. Every single one of them uses/has used artificial birth control. Don't tell me I don't know.

I have to agree... Four generations of Catholic Christianity, and other forms of Christianity, and I'm now saved by Krishna's grace~! ;)

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
What about passing off your laws as God's to suit your love of intolerance and hate?

we have fundamental differences about how God's word is supposed to apply to our lives. You seem to feel that the Biblical heroes all had some authority that we don't have. My guess is that you're in a minority among Evangelicals in your thinking.