• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity must change or die

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Not one word has changed. What has happened is that the prophets of the New Testament have been proved correct, that many antichrists have gone out, inventing new corruptions, if not caricatures, calling themselves 'Messiah', in effect.

No antichrist has been very successful, so the challenge of the gospel for mankind remains.
Not one word, but thousands have changed. Just looking at a good English translation, one can even see this (the notes usually give a good clue. Or they flat out say). Comparing the Greek is even better.

Villager

Not one word, but thousands have changed. Just looking at a good English translation
Come on, theology was never founded on translation (with certain exceptions that I am far too polite to mention, but then they are not Christian, anyway).

Comparing the Greek is even better.
So which doctrine is threatened by that?

A

angellous_evangellous

My first impression, fallingblood, is that Christianity must change because it is in the hands of people who are constantly influenced by popular philosophy. If Christianity did not speak to a generation that breathes in the current popular philosophy, it would already be dead.

And we know that the various Christianities vary in their ability to be nimble - some Christianities change all the time and some are thirty to 500 years behind, but the entire landscape of Christianity is always in a state of change, even if it is difficult to perceive.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My first impression, fallingblood, is that Christianity must change because it is in the hands of people who are constantly influenced by popular philosophy. If Christianity did not speak to a generation that breathes in the current popular philosophy, it would already be dead.

And we know that the various Christianities vary in their ability to be nimble - some Christianities change all the time and some are thirty to 500 years behind, but the entire landscape of Christianity is always in a state of change, even if it is difficult to perceive.

Very very true. and not all change is reflected in the published dogma. practice is always far in advance of official changes.

Awoon

A Modern Reformation of Christianity Articles « Belzian Educational Foundation

Christianity is a religion that has survived and flourished for nearly two thousand years. Through these years, it has changed, branched off, and evolved into what can be described as multiple Christianities. At the same time, much of Christianity has become stuck in the past, unwilling to change or improve. In the name of Christianity, atrocities are still committed, and intolerance justified. There are some forms of Christianity that has set out to rectify these wrongs; however, there are also those that refuse to make the changes that they need to. These forms of Christianity are now at a cross roads, in which they can choose to change for the better and continue into the 21st century, as respectable institutions, or they can slowly die out, leaving behind a legacy of intolerance, and disgust.

Before moving further though, it has to be realized that there is no single, defining form of Christianity. The religion, as would be expected, has changed many times throughout the course of its life, evolving into something better defined as multiple Christianities. Within this spectrum of Christianities, we see a vast variety of beliefs. We have on one side, those who see the Bible as infallible, the very word of God, and their form of Christianity as the only way. On the other side, we have those who see the Bible as an important historical or literary work, written by various different men for different reasons, and their form of Christianity only being one among many true ways.

This is important to realize as Christianity is extremely diverse. One form of Christianity does not define another form. What one group of Christians believe, is not necessarily what all Christians believe. By grouping all Christians together, one does an injustice to those Christians actively trying to make a difference, as well as isolate others who would have otherwise been willing to try to make matters better.

When I use the term Christianity in rest of this essay, I am referring to Christianity in general terms. I recognize that many Christians, and various forms of Christianities have already began changing for the better. I am not addressing those forms when I use the term Christianity. Instead, I am referring to the forms of Christianity that refuse to change, and insist of justifying intolerance, narrow mindedness, and unquestioning blind faith.

It should then be obvious as to why Christianity must change. The justification of intolerance is more than enough reason for a change to be made. It should be no surprise then that we see one of the major complaints about Christianity being that it is an intolerant religion. I see no better example than the consistent protests that are seen in European countries when the Pope visits. Without fail, we see charges of intolerance being leveled at the Church with each visit. Intolerance towards homosexuals, and the intolerance towards women (in the form of refusing to ordain women), are issues that are brought up repeatedly when the Pope goes to visit. This is clearly a sign that there is a major backlash against this intolerance that is being condoned and justified by a religion.

It is not just the intolerance towards groups of individuals that is the problem though. It is also the narrow minded thinking that many Christians, and in general the religious, are guilty of. The idea that “my way is the only right way” needs to be abandoned. The condemnation of an eternity in hell, for those who choose to believe in a way different than ones own, needs to be abandoned. Such a position is arrogant, and foolish. It shows the exact opposite of what Jesus said was one of the most important commandments; that is to love one's neighbor. One can not truly love their neighbor and at the same time condemn them to hell.

To have a god that condemns the vast majority of individuals to hell simply is not a loving god. It is a god full of hatred, and simply is pitiful. God does not have to be that way. One can truly believe in an all loving God, and still be true to their religion. One can believe in a God who is not so spiteful that it would send those who do not believe in it to hell for eternity (even though that God refuses to supply any evidence for it's existence, but relies on the follower to have faith). What it really comes down to though is the acceptance of others. It is becoming a little more humble, and acknowledging that they are not some extremely special individual that has been granted one of the few places in heaven. What is needed is for Christians to stop being so arrogant, so self-centered, that they believe only they are good enough to be worthy of all of God's love. Really, it means maturing.

It also means though that one should feel free to challenge their beliefs, and not just simply follow them blindly. When a religion is so easily used to justify atrocious acts, that religion needs to be questioned, and challenged. But even more so, the leaders, and member of that religion that allow their religion to be violated in such a disgusting manner, need to be challenged, and possibly removed from any form of power.

Christianity needs to be challenged. It needs to be questioned. It needs to change. For too long individuals have been allowed to hide behind a religion in order to justify their own intolerant beliefs. That is simply unacceptable, and should not be allowed any longer. And the people who must change this are other Christians. Christians can no longer allow others to sully the name of the faith they follow as well. They need to be the ones who instigate this change, that is long over due. It is no longer acceptable to simply stand aside and allow other Christians to continue to portray Christianity as a disgusting, and perverse belief system.

Interesting that man took illiterates, and in 1-3 yrs taught them how to heal, demonstrate and speak of a kingdom their teacher believed in, (an all inclusive kingdom without hierarchies of men) without violence or threats to the people they spoke to.

They demonstrated and presented what their teacher taught them without rewards or honour.

That beginning little movement of Jews then became institutionalised after the deaths of the originals , their culture, language, imagination destroyed.

The movement was infiltrated with foreign ideas, cultures, beliefs with the threats of death and excomunication for failure to follow rules (of the new institution) that were never spoken by the originater.

The originaters' teachings were lost and replaced with teachings about the originater.

A

angellous_evangellous

The single constant factor is that they like to be called Christian. :D

Actually they prefer Spudinians.

I was calling them Christians merely so that fallingblood and other reasonably intelligent readers would know what I was talking about.

allright

Psalms 2:3-4
Let us break their bands asunder and cast their cords from us
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh : the Lord shall hold them in derision.

outhouse

Atheistically
If your going to ditch hell and intolerance and a literal reading, do you not loose most of the followers we have today.?

We are talking about some people being brainwashed since early childhood, asking for them to give up their faith will not come easy.

I think yout best approach is to start with a small change that will help leed to the possibility for more small changes in the future.

Maybe a non literal reading through education would break the ice and as the education progresses, it will be easier to loose the dogma holding it back.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
It should then be obvious as to why Christianity must change. The justification of intolerance is more than enough reason for a change to be made. It should be no surprise then that we see one of the major complaints about Christianity being that it is an intolerant religion. I see no better example than the consistent protests that are seen in European countries when the Pope visits. Without fail, we see charges of intolerance being leveled at the Church with each visit. Intolerance towards homosexuals, and the intolerance towards women (in the form of refusing to ordain women), are issues that are brought up repeatedly when the Pope goes to visit. This is clearly a sign that there is a major backlash against this intolerance that is being condoned and justified by a religion.

All the protests comes from people who are not Catholic. Why change for non-Catholics? Most of them hate the church to begin with, and you want us to care what they think? Humility is the one thing they all lack.

I knew Catholic church would be mentioned. Though I always get confused. Why not Orthodox get mentioned? They are the same stance on women ordination and homosexual lifestyles. Either way, I can assure you and anyone else, the church will not change from positions such as "homosexual marriage" and "Women ordination". Nor will the Church ever care to change for non-believers. You got some cahoonies to think we should change positions for non-believers.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
The OP is basically demanding that Christianity conform to the secular values of our day. He wants Christianity to renounce a belief that God demands justice for our sins, that homosexuality is a sin, that women need to exercise a degree of submissiveness to their husbands. The teachings of Christianity were designed to go against the grain. We are called to "renew our minds" which is done through reading and understanding God's word. It's how we separate society's bs from God's truth.

Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Its funny. All this talk of "you need to get up with the times or you will just die out". For such an out of date, dieing religion it surely doesn't seem that way.
Sure there are silly protest by atheist and other non-believers. Yet there are still thousands of faithful at Mass celebrations and ceremony. Especially when Pope is there. Many flock from all over to see him.