• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity is not the only way to God

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Does that mean that they need to convert to the Christian religion and use and believe in all the doctrines of the church? What exactly does following Christ mean? Didn't Jesus say, "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."? I don't see conditions of religious associations stipulated there, do you?
There was only one thing God forbade Adam and Eve to do. Do you know what that was?

InChrist

Free4ever

I have evidence from the Bible itself:

God is love, whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him, 1 John 4:16

What do you think about that?
I think the scriptures show that God who is love...

so loved the world that He sent His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16

and that abiding in God’s love means trusting and abiding in Christ...

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
2 John 1:9

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There was only one thing God forbade Adam and Eve to do. Do you know what that was?
What do you think that was? And how do you see that relating to my point? Are you saying somehow that they need to join of religion because Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, which opened their eyes to sin? How does that pertain? Does "obeying God" to you mean join a religion? It doesn't to me.

YoursTrue

Does that mean that they need to convert to the Christian religion and use and believe in all the doctrines of the church? What exactly does following Christ mean? Didn't Jesus say, "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."? I don't see conditions of religious associations stipulated there, do you?
Paul, Jesus, and Peter and the disciples in the first century preached a different type of Christianity than, for the most part, that we see today. If a religion follows the model of Christ and his teachings, then it is affirmed by God and one's conscience.

YoursTrue

What do you think that was? And how do you see that relating to my point? Are you saying somehow that they need to join of religion because Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, which opened their eyes to sin? How does that pertain? Does "obeying God" to you mean join a religion? It doesn't to me.
It relates to your point in that Adam and Eve were created with an entirely different concept of what is or what is not religion than what we know of today. So thinking about Adam and Eve shows us that God did not designate a religion as we understand religion today for them. He did not tell them to bow down before him, or cross themselves, or kill their enemy. Since God is love, He created them in love. And they had one thing only He told them NOT to do. He also gave them pleasant work as well. But only one thing not to do. And so, since God is love, He issues His commandments in love. The details came later, after they disobeyed Him. It's quite an interesting account.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think the word ' abides ' is an important factor. A person can stop ' abiding ' in love for God.
1 John 1:7 uses the word " if ". 'If' we walk in the light...... ( conditions to be met )
Fellowship with both God and Christ Jesus according to John at 1 John 1:3
John ends 1 John 5:20-21 ..... even in God's Son Jesus Christ.
Thus, Jesus could say he is the way, the truth and the life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
....... Does "obeying God" to you mean join a religion? It doesn't to me.
It wasn't until Moses we see the organized religion under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel.
It wasn't until Pentecost that we see Christianity starting to be organized as the religion to follow.
It wasn't until the writing of Hebrews 10:25-26 that Christians are instructed to Not forsake gathering together.
It wasn't until the writing found at James 1:27 which places worship / religion for organized Christians.

YoursTrue

As said by others, there are many ways we can understand the Bible as a whole. Some perspectives are inclusive as you see it, others very much exclusive. Many Catholics these days along with more liberal Christians and Baha’is position themselves at the more liberal end of the spectrum. So my understanding of the God of Abraham and 1 John 4:16 is similar to your view.
Let's put it this way: If that God you mention is the God of Abraham, weren't (aren't) there other gods that people worship? Furthermore, was the God of Abraham the God that other people worshipped back then, or is it all the same in your opinion?

YoursTrue

First of all, the Bible says that Eve was deceived. She believed she could be like God, knowing good and evil. And that she would not die, even though God said she would if she ate from that tree. But she believed the serpent. Most people don't like the idea of dying, they'd rather stay alive. But we die anyway, no matter what WE want. So at the beginning of mankind's existence, God keopt his word when Eve disobeyed. But as far as worship goes -- as has been mentioned -- religion as we know it was not inaugurated until later when man devised religious ways. But -- God IS love, and He created man and woman to live under His direction.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
It seems like you're assuming that because you've found one verse that supports your opinion, the rest of the Bible will be consistent with your opinion.

I would question that assumption. There's a reason why they call it the Big Book of Multiple Choice: it would be hard to find a position that some verse in the Bible doesn't support.

That the Bible is called the "Big Book of Multiple Choice" is not negative. God is behind several religions and several different denominations within different religions.

God does not care that people have different interpretations of the Bible as long as you are kind and loving to other people and animals and serve the one true God.

Starlight

The OP was likely trained by professional users of the book. In my experience, all users of this book do it at various times, to support any number of positions. The Bible is like a soup du jour as regards its use as support for argumentation.

God is behind several religions and several different denominations within different religions.

God does not care that people have different interpretations of the Bible as long as you are kind and loving to other people and animals and serve the one true God.

YoursTrue

That the Bible is called the "Big Book of Multiple Choice" is not negative. God is behind several religions and several different denominations within different religions.

Ok, so who is the God of Abraham? Any God one chooses?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Paul, Jesus, and Peter and the disciples in the first century preached a different type of Christianity than, for the most part, that we see today. If a religion follows the model of Christ and his teachings, then it is affirmed by God and one's conscience.
I would agree that it is by one's one conscience we stand or fall. That is true if you follow a religion, or if you don't. So do you agree that someone would not need to convert to Christianity, in order for them to be doing the will of God, and following their conscience? Can you see a Buddhist fulfilling God's will, even while remaining a Buddhist, or a Hindu, or etc, and never converting to the Christian religion?

Starlight

Ok, so who is the God of Abraham? Any God one chooses?

If you choose to believe in one God. And that you are kind and loving to other humans and animals then that is God of Abraham.

If you choose to believe in many gods, then no. You are not worshipping God of Abraham.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

True

And you can add the Highest Commandment to it, for the doubting Thomas. Its all about Love
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Messianic Israelite

Good evening Meandflower. You forget one thing. 1 John 5:3 explains what love is: "For this is the love of Yahweh, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

Brian2

Veteran Member

It certainly means to be seeking God and His Kingdom.
Those who have found or have been found by Jesus and are in the Kingdom have repented and have passed over the judgement because Jesus has taken their sins on Himself.
God is calling us closer all the time, both in belief and practice.
God does want us to repent and to accept Jesus, the one He sent, as our Lord and Saviour. Without Jesus sacrifice for us we face the judgement and can only hope for mercy, we cannot claim to be good enough and we cannot claim the sacrifice of Jesus for ourselves, we can only hope that God looks at our life and is merciful to us.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's put it this way: If that God you mention is the God of Abraham, weren't (aren't) there other gods that people worship? Furthermore, was the God of Abraham the God that other people worshipped back then, or is it all the same in your opinion?

The Tanakh and NT provide very different portraits of the God of Abraham, yet He is the same God. The Quran’s portrait is closer to the Tanakh than NT. I believe there is only One God.

RestlessSoul

“The religions of all nations are derived from each nation’s different interpretation of the Poetic Genius, which is everywhere called the Spirit of Prophecy.”

“As all men are alike (though infinitely various) So all Religions.”

- William Blake, 1788