• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity: Is "Holy Spirit" with Catholicism or Protestantism or with no Christian-denomination?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Those are questions that I'm going to let them answer for themselves because you deserve to get their explanation of how they can be the only true Christians and deny the Protestant and Catholic version of the Holy Spirit.
Yes, please.
The JWs are welcome to answer this question, if they please, and I know that there are some devout JWs in this forum. Why "Holy Spirit" has deserted JWs while it supports/assists Catholicism and Protestantism, please. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So you just asked who's God with to Trinitarians, so, if God be for us, who Could be against us? etc. That's how I understand this post... Not about Holy Spiritism...?

So, generally on the subject of ecumenicality. they all play nice today but formally, its about how the Pope makes the "universality" claim, the Catholic claim, he doesn't visit 'ecumenical meetings of other churches, he has observors because he can't take part because Catholics claim the only Church still. Comparatively most Churches get along that are in a struggle with this, the other Third.

I've been interested in the Presbyterians half the time prominently feature the Holy Spirit, well it highlights how Jesus was Called in his Baptism, it highlights the holy spirit led apostle Paul through Asia Minor, today Turkey, the Holy Spirit is claimed to directly be doing works. I am not sure about the 'personality' of the Holy Spirit. If it were like the other two forms of God, personality wise?
"Presbyterians half the time prominently feature the Holy Spirit"

Sorry, I don't understand.
Is the Christian-Holy-Spirit, confused, please? Christian-Holy-Spirit says one thing to the Catholicism people and yet another thing to the Presbyterian-Protestantism people. Why can't Christian-Holy-Spirit unite them just in one truthful denomination, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So for the record, my stance is the thread title can't be easily answered. To answer it one way or another leads to a flawed conclusion as the premise itself leaves too many questions.
Well one can take help from those Christians who claim that they are helped by the Holly Spirit and are in relationship with it or if one has this relationship with the Christian-Holy-Spirit directly, it will be pleased to help one. Right, please?

Regards

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Maybe some branches of Christianity don't believe in a Holy Spirit"

Does one mean that belief in "Holy spirit" is not essential of Christendom, please?

Regards

Well for example the Jehovah Witness believe the holy spirit is just a impersonal force that emanates from God.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Well for example the Jehovah Witness believe the holy spirit is just a impersonal force that emanates from God.
Well, did Jesus tell in a straightforward manner that "the holy spirit is just a impersonal force that emanates from God".
The JWs may/must answer this question if they have faith in Jesus and Jesus has anything to do with their denomination of Christendom. Else, they should/must not invent another religion in the name of Christ like Paul did, before. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Have you ever tried to herd cats?
Well, I never had a cat as a pet, never. If one/you have experience of herding cats, one may like to share with others. I don't mind.
But how the idea occur to one, please?
We were talking about "The Christian-Holy-Ghost/Spirit" lately. Right, please?

Regards

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
"The Holy Spirit is Gods invisible energy"

Did Jesus mention it, please? If yes, please quote from him.

Regards

Jesus referencing it as the Spirit of Truth in John:14 15-21

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Act 2:38 Peter mentions it while talking about Jesus.

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth it has different names but it's all the same.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jesus referencing it as the Spirit of Truth in John:14 15-21

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Act 2:38 Peter mentions it while talking about Jesus.

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth it has different names but it's all the same.
"Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth it has different names but it's all the same."

How does one/you know that these "Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth" are all the same, please?
Did Jesus say it. If yes, kindly quote from him, please?

Regards

Terry Sampson

We were talking about "The Christian-Holy-Ghost/Spirit" lately. Right, please?

Correct. Forget about the cats. That was my attempt at humor.
It seems to me that you are equally interested in answering
  1. the question: "What is the Holy Spirit? i.e. what does that concept refer to?" and
  2. the question: "Which Christians believe in the Holy Spirit?"
Regarding question #2, as far as I know all Christians believe in the Holy Spirit. There may be some people here in RF who call themselves Christians who do not acknowledge the Holy Spirit, but they are not traditional Christians. So, I'll let them speak for themselves.

It is also a fact that all Christians do not refer to the same thing when they say they acknowledge the Holy Spirit. Traditional Christians generally do refer to the same thing. Jehovah's Witnesses are not traditional Christians. I don't speak for them and I do not speak for anyone who says that I do describe their concept of the Holy Spirit.

Who do I think I can speak for? I think I can speak for Orthodox Christians, Catholic Christians, and some Protestant Christians, when I say that they (i.e. the traditional Christians) acknowledge the existence of the Holy Spirit and believe that the Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (another means - one just like me)

14:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Good references, seems like not everyone here wants the answers though

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
How does one/you know that these "Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth" are all the same, please?

It's already done. If you want more then go research it yourself.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
"I don't think it's with any of them"

Yet there are Bible believers who say that "Holy Spirit" assisted in selecting the books of Bible, and is refection of other book that were not included in the Bible. How far it is correct, please?

Considering it's a claim that basically involves ghosts interacting with the physical world, I'ld say that it's not "very far correct".

danieldemol

Premium Member
"Presbyterians half the time prominently feature the Holy Spirit"

Sorry, I don't understand.
Is the Christian-Holy-Spirit, confused, please? Christian-Holy-Spirit says one thing to the Catholicism people and yet another thing to the Presbyterian-Protestantism people. Why can't Christian-Holy-Spirit unite them just in one truthful denomination, please?

Regards
It’s a bit like asking why Allah can’t just unite the denominations of Islam?
Perhaps Allah and Allah’s Holy Spirit can do it but have no desire to do it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It’s a bit like asking why Allah can’t just unite the denominations of Islam?
Perhaps Allah and Allah’s Holy Spirit can do it but have no desire to do it.
Sorry, Allah is neither a physical or material being nor He has is a spirit. All physical, material and spirits are his creation. Allah is an attributive Being whose attributes are reflected in the Universe.
Please try another comparison and prove it from Kitab-i-Iqan- the core concept book of Bahaullah. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Considering it's a claim that basically involves ghosts interacting with the physical world, I'ld say that it's not "very far correct".
"Holy Ghost" is not mentioned in the Judaism Torah, and Jesus and Mary were Judaism Torah followers. So, no Ghosts were believed by Jesus. This concept might have been imported from Paganism by Paul. This is my understanding, please.

Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member
Sorry, Allah is neither a physical or material being nor He has is a spirit. All physical, material and spirits are his creation. Allah is an attributive Being whose attributes are reflected in the Universe.
Please try another comparison and prove it from Kitab-i-Iqan- the core concept book of Bahaullah. Right, please?

Regards
1. I never said Allah is a physical or material being
2. If spirits are the creation of Allah then Allah owns them which is the same with the Holy Spirit. Thus it is correct in the English language to say Allah has (meaning Allah is the owner of) the Holy Spirit.
3. Even if we were to deny the existence of the Holy Spirit, one could still pose the question why can’t Allah unite the sects of Islam? Thus the comparative question still holds true, even if there is no Holy Spirit.
4. I’m a liberal not a Baha’i, so why should I quote from Baha’u’llah when I have independent thoughts of my own?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
"Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth it has different names but it's all the same."

Regards

Yes, they are the same as Jesus said.

Incidentally, the only reason one part says Holy Ghost and the other Holy Spirit is because there were two groups of people translating the scriptures into English. The Greek words are the same but one group translated it Ghost and the other Spirit -- but the same Greek word.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 14: 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

There are many titles for the Holy Spirit even as there are many titles for Jesus and The Father.. But as you can see above, the Comforter is the Holy Spirit which is the Sprit of truth.