• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity is a crapshoot

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Should we just believe everything we are told?
No.
From Santa Claus to the Easter Bunny. How about the tooth fairy too?
Nope, I use my intelligence and rational skills. I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I do believe the Near Death Experience though is a true glimpse of the beyond.

You did not address my question about why you are a Christian.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
...... It would seem Christianity is a crapshoot, a gamble.
Peace be on you.
The original Christianity [Jesus being Prophet of God] was real.

Latter it mixed up things with idea of 'son of God' -- But 'son of God' words were not new to be used. For example:
=Throughout history, emperors and rulers ranging from the have assumed titles such titles.
='son of God' and 'son of the Lord' are occasionally found in Jewish literature, they never refer to physical descent from God.

"One offshoot of James’ ministry were the Ebionites, a sect whose name derives from the Hebrew ebionim meaning ‘the meek’ or ‘the poor’. They were the Jewish Christians, for whom Jesus took on the mantle of Messiah and not that of the ‘Son of God’. They followed the Mosaic law with great zeal, and had their own Gospel known in various contexts as the ‘Gospel of the Hebrews’, ‘Gospel of the Ebionites’ or the ‘Gospel of the Nazarenes’......................

Of all the various doctrines which evolved during the formative stages of Christianity, only those who believed in the Nazarene philosophy can justifiably be given preference. These early Christians were taught the meaning of Christianity by Jesus himself................................

Evidently St. Paul and his school do not belong there. In fact, from the time of St. Paul onwards, as Christianity spread to alien lands and pagan faiths within the Roman Empire, it began to be powerfully influenced and bent by the cultures and mythologies prevalent in those lands and went further away from its nascent purity. St. Paul did his bit in influencing the deterioration of the Christian thought by introducing his own brand of mysticism. He was neither of Jewish stock nor did he have any direct contact with Jesus, except through his claimed vision. He was already, it seems, under the powerful influence of the alien cultures.

Apparently there were two options available to St. Paul, either to fight the strenuous battles against a world of superstitions, myths and legends prevalent in the lands of the Roman Empire from times immemorial or to give in to them and let Christianity change to suit their requirements and ambitions. This gave them the message that Christianity was not essentially different from their legends and myths. He found the adoption of the second option far more profitable and convenient and let Christianity change to suit the ambitions and philosophies popular in the gentile world."
Ref:https://alislam.org/library/books/christianity_facts_to_fiction/chapter_7.html#pgfId-1006203

Holy Quran [ch4:v172] O People of the Book, exceed not the limits in your religion, and say not of Allah anything but the truth. Verily, the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only a Messenger of Allah and a fulfilment of His word which He sent down to Mary, and a mercy from Him. So believe in Allah and His Messengers, and say not ‘They are three.’ Desist, it will be better for you. Verily, Allah is the only One God. Far is it from His Holiness that He should have a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And sufficient is Allah as a Guardian.

Thus the real Christianity was not the one of today.

Last edited:

roger1440

I do stuff
Doesn't mean you can't still be a follower of Jesus as an inspiring figure of brotherly love and righteousness. I don't think it hinges on belief in the Immaculate Conception (which I think is possible).

By the way, why do you call yourself a Christian? Do you have much good to say about Christianity that you would want to identify with it? I'd enjoy hearing something positive from you.
I never mentioned anything about the Immaculate Conception. I was referring to the virgin birth of Jesus. They are not the same. The Immaculate Conception is not in the Bible, neither is original sin. These are concepts that were developed years after the authors of the New Testament were dead and buried. There is a very good reason why original sin is not mentioned by the Gospel writers. The writers were Jewish and original sin is foreign to Judaism.

Since the authors of the Gospels were Jewish, they would have been familiar with this verse:

“Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save.” (Psalm 146:3)

eiskalt

Ive had contact with god. I am fairly certain that other people have had contact with Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, Angels, Demons, Hindu gods, Greek gods, the great Spirit and so on. But i know that most of those are lies/illusions, due to my own experience and through reason. This does not devalue their faith and vision.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ive had contact with god. I am fairly certain that other people have had contact with Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, Angels, Demons, Hindu gods, Greek gods, the great Spirit and so on. But i know that most of those are lies/illusions, due to my own experience and through reason. This does not devalue their faith and vision.
You say you have had contact with god but you didn't. LOL

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe John 14:16-17
John 14:26
John 14:6
John 15:26
John 16:7-8
Acts of the Apostles 1:4
1 Corinthians 2:10
I have been helped. Is the help coming from my imagination? It is still help.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you mean? Does god equate Jesus in your mind?
OK. So are you saying YOUR contact was true but THEIR contact was their imagination?
@eiskalt but if you are saying sometimes it is true and sometimes it is imaginings then I agree with you.

Last edited:

eiskalt

OK. So are you saying YOUR contact was true but THEIR contact was their imagination?
@eiskalt but if you are saying sometimes it is true and sometimes it is imaginings then I agree with you.
It is true to them, their gods are just as real as this god, who ive come to learn, is for me. But i know that what i experienced is the only possible being in control of the universe. Otherwise it would be really weird to believe in hell, heaven, free will & destiny.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is true to them, their gods are just as real as this god, who ive come to learn, is for me. But i know that what i experienced is the only possible being in control of the universe. Otherwise it would be really weird to believe in hell, heaven, free will & destiny.
You are not being clear. Did you experience THE GOD? The one who is "in control" of the universe thus not of a person's imagination?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Thus the real Christianity was not the one of today.
Actually Paul defaced the real teachings of Jesus:
  1. Jesus believed in ONENESS of G-d, but Paul and Church started Trinity.
  2. Jesus did not die on the Cross, he survived. But Paul built the foundation of the his new religion and named it "Christianity" and pegged it on this dogma of "Jesus died on the Cross".
  3. Paul and Church invented resurrection of Jesus from the dead. This had never happened, Jesus had simply gone out of Judea after the ordeal of the crucifixion lest he is again caught and persecuted.
  4. Jesus never went on the skies, Paul and Church made the innocent public believe that Jesus had gone to the skies and sat on the right hand of G-d.
So, Christianity was just a heap of sands, without any sound foundation in the earth or any support in the skies.
It is good that people are realizing it. Now it is an opportune time for them to believe in real Jesus and his teachings as mentioned in Quran. Absolutely no harm in it.
Regards

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
  2. Jesus did not die on the Cross, he survived. But Paul built the foundation of the his new religion and named it "Christianity" and pegged it on this dogma of "Jesus died on the Cross".
  3. Paul and Church invented resurrection of Jesus from the dead. This had never happened, Jesus had simply gone out of Judea after the ordeal of the crucifixion lest he is again caught and persecuted.
  4. Jesus never went on the skies, Paul and Church made the innocent public believe that Jesus had gone to the skies and sat on the right hand of G-d.
So, Christianity was just a heap of sands, without any sound foundation in the earth or any support in the skies.
It is good that people are realizing it. Now it is an opportune time for them to believe in real Jesus and his teachings as mentioned in Quran. Absolutely no harm in it.
Regards
I dont vouch for xstianity as it is full of holes but what about aisha 6 yr old mentioned in hadith ?Is hadith true?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

Regards
I dont vouch for xstianity as it is full of holes but what about aisha 6 yr old mentioned in hadith ?Is hadith true?
One's comments are not related to my post one was commenting on. Right? It is off-topic. Right?
Hadith did not exist in the times of Muhammad. It appeared 250/300 years after Muhammad.
Regards

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
One's comments are not related to my post one was commenting on. Right? It is off-topic. Right?
Hadith did not exist in the times of Muhammad. It appeared 250/300 years after Muhammad.
Regards
So hadith is a joke ? Interesting.....I thought muslims held it very high

eiskalt

Regards
I doubt Jesus believed in oneness of God. For Jesus and Christians Satan is basically another God and equal in power to YHWH. They actually believed that Satan and demons were in control of the Roman Emperors and "evil"/unbelieving people in general.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
........ but what about aisha 6 yr old mentioned in hadith ?Is hadith true?
Peace be on you.
But......virtually every narration that relates Hazrat A’isha’s age at 6 is tied to Hisham ibn ‘Urwah, who then reports on his father’s authority. This is problematic for several reasons.
The whole issue is taken up and allegation is refuted at:
Did Muhammad marry A’isha when she was only six years old?
@
http://www.muhammadfactcheck.org/?m...ad-sa-married-ayesha-ra-when-she-was-underage

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I doubt Jesus believed in oneness of God. For Jesus and Christians Satan is basically another God and equal in power to YHWH. They actually believed that Satan and demons were in control of the Roman Emperors and "evil"/unbelieving people in general.
Jesus did believe in ONENESS of G-d:

Matthew 22:37-38
37And He said to him, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38"This is the great and foremost commandment.
http://biblehub.com/matthew/22-38.htm
And here Jesus repeated concept of G-d held by Moses (and repeated several times in Jewish Scripture):
6 And the Lord, your God, will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, [so that you may] love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, for the sake of your life.
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9994
And Jesus mission was to enforce it as a follower of Moses.
Regards